Derm Moonlighting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mohderm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do any of your programs allow internal moonlighting? I would like to discuss how it is set up if you do.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I know a program that allows moonlighting if the resident scores well on their inservice exam. The moonlighting consists of one sunday each month at a VA dermatology clinic with a PA in a nearby town and the resident gets a few thousand dollars for this (don't know exact amount).

Not allowed at any program I was familiar with, at least for the last 15 years or so. Years ago they actually ran a resident private practice... but that ended long before I came through. The best we could do was disability exams for the state.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on what program you are at. However, many programs have residents that engage in moonlighting. You have to speak to the 2nd and 3rd years about it. I think moonlighting is very productive to a career if done in the appropriate setting as I think it gives you a very good perspective on how different settings work without having to commit to it as a full time position after residency. A lot of these positions are set up through personal connections.

A lot of people (residents) will keep moonlighting private and don't really advertise that they are doing it...although they may be forthcoming if you ask in a discreet setting.

Prohibitive at my former program as well, very high in-service scores required to do so. I've met some residents who make house calls for cosmetic injections on weekends, not sure of the medicolegal ramifications although I suspect finding a large enough patient population may prove to be the biggest hitch in that plan

Reactions: 1 user