Derm Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thestudent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that this is a very premature question, and it is definitely not the most important factor in choosing a medical school, but I am pretty interested in dermatology (I have done basic lab research, path lab work and seen a bit of the clinical side already). I certainly need to gain more exposure as I go through medical school, and this is something that I plan to do in the next few years, but I was wondering which medical schools are known to have good dermatology departments. What schools would offer me the types of experiences I would need to get to know the field and perhaps put me in a good position applying for residency programs? I'm having a tough time choosing the program and school that is right for me, so maybe this can be added to the list of pros and cons. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I know that this is a very premature question, and it is definitely not the most important factor in choosing a medical school, but I am pretty interested in dermatology (I have done basic lab research, path lab work and seen a bit of the clinical side already). I certainly need to gain more exposure as I go through medical school, and this is something that I plan to do in the next few years, but I was wondering which medical schools are known to have good dermatology departments. What schools would offer me the types of experiences I would need to get to know the field and perhaps put me in a good position applying for residency programs? I'm having a tough time choosing the program and school that is right for me, so maybe this can be added to the list of pros and cons. Thanks.

Here is a ruff table of school's dermatolgy programs academic acheivement.

http://dermatology.cdlib.org/133/original/academy/table6.htm

Take it with a grain of salt but it can give you a ruff idea that if you went to one of these schools you'd be in better position for more oppurtunities to get involved in research as a med student and rub elbows with famous name faculty. But even if you don't get into one of these schools it wouldn't preclude you from getting into a good derm program. And yes it might be a little premature because many change speciatlies as they go threw med school, I know I did.

Thanks for the advice. I am looking at a few of those schools which is a nice little added piece, but you are definitely right about the changing of specialties. After reading so much negative stuff on these forums, I am very happy that I am at least thinking about a lot of this stuff now--even if it doesn't end up meaning anything, some people go into medicine without really contemplating what it's about and how they hope to enjoy it.

I am also starting to get a sense that doing research during medical school is an important part in applying to residencies. The biggest difference that I have seen in the medical school curricula from school to school is the time off that some places give to students (Baylor, Duke 1 year, Emory, 1/2 year). In a competitive residency like dermatology would this type of opportunity be a big positive in choosing a medical school if you had to go back and do it all over again? I know there is time in between M1 and M2, but a few months is not really enough time to get any major research project done. I guess the other option is to take a year off. I do enjoy doing research even though it is probably not something I plan to mold my career around as a physician.

Here is a ruff table of school's dermatolgy programs academic acheivement.

http://dermatology.cdlib.org/133/original/academy/table6.htm

Take it with a grain of salt but it can give you a ruff idea that if you went to one of these schools you'd be in better position for more oppurtunities to get involved in research as a med student and rub elbows with famous name faculty. But even if you don't get into one of these schools it wouldn't preclude you from getting into a good derm program. And yes it might be a little premature because many change speciatlies as they go threw med school, I know I did.

If you absolutely know that you want derm (it sounds like you're pretty sure but not totally) then choosing a program based on time off for research may be a good idea. That said, any good school will provide ample research opportunity for dermatology. Even my school, which only has ONE derm on staff, actually has a famous MD PhD who has published over 100 journals. He joined the research faculty recently and I was not able to work directly with him because of other projects I had going. I did my bench research b/w 1&2 at another institution and was published in a major derm journal in time for applications. I would really recommend looking into the derm departments at the school to which you are considering applying. A large and dedicated faculty can give you access to all kinds of research that you can complete while at a 4-year school.

That said, I am doing a research fellowship prior to residency out of necessity. As a matter of interest, why are you interested in dermatology? Many of my classmates who know that I am medically sound are surprised to hear that I want to do derm.