Dermatology Match 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhillyMed777

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So how did people fare?
The current spreadsheet is pretty much out of order, so thought I'd open up a page.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So how did people fare?
The current spreadsheet is pretty much out of order, so thought I'd open up a page.

I didn't match and was wondering what went wrong. Any insight would be appreciated. My school has no explanation or real guidance and I'm at a loss. I have decided to take a research year and reapply next cycle. This will mean delaying graduation but from what I have read that would be the better option rather than graduating and applying next year as a US MD. Is that correct? I scored 246 on step one and 258 on step two. I was applying Derm and had excellent lors and shelf scores, honoring in several. I'm in a top 25 med school and have a degree in biochem. My Dean told me today I was in the top 10% of my class and I interview very well. In fact I had great feedback on the interview trail. I had six Derm interviews and eight prelim interviews. I ranked eight. I can understand not matching Derm but I didn't even match into a prelim or a transitional year. Does anyone know what could have happened or what my next steps should be?

I also want to add that I did two aways, two significant research positions, four publications (two first author case reports) and a poster presentation.

Members don't see this ad :)

I didn't match and was wondering what went wrong. Any insight would be appreciated. My school has no explanation or real guidance and I'm at a loss. I have decided to take a research year and reapply next cycle. This will mean delaying graduation but from what I have read that would be the better option rather than graduating and applying next year as a US MD. Is that correct? I scored 246 on step one and 258 on step two. I was applying Derm and had excellent lors and shelf scores, honoring in several. I'm in a top 25 med school and have a degree in biochem. My Dean told me today I was in the top 10% of my class and I interview very well. In fact I had great feedback on the interview trail. I had six Derm interviews and eight prelim interviews. I ranked eight. I can understand not matching Derm but I didn't even match into a prelim or a transitional year. Does anyone know what could have happened or what my next steps should be?

Did you not match in derm or ophtho? You posted in the ophtho forum as well?

I think what you are doing is correct. Taking a research year and delaying graduation is the correct route.

You mentioned you had 6 derms interviews and 8 prelims and ranked eight? Does that mean you ranked all 6 derm programs and 2 prelims?

From what you are describing, I don't see any red flags. Some people don't do anything wrong and unfortunately just slip through the cracks. Assuming you are one of those people, I would think you should be able to get in after a research year.

I would be a little concerned about not matching into prelim programs if you did rank them separately at the end of your rank order list. (If I remember correctly, if you link your prelims as part of a secondary rank order list, that only gets triggered if you match into your desired categorical program. Conversely, if you ranked prelims at the bottom of your primary rank order list, then I think there is a problem.) Most qualified derm applicants should not have any difficulty matching prelim spots unless you are talking about the very competitive (read: cushy) programs. If this is the case, I think you need to dig further because there is a red flag that is present that you are not aware of and that others are not revealing. What do you mean you had great feedback on the interview trail? Can you provide us with some more information on your overall application profile? (e.g. do you have a home derm department? how many aways? how many LORs from dermatologists? did you have any derm research? Any gaps in your medical training? Any other red flags you can think of?)

I also want to add that I did two aways, two significant research positions, four publications (two first author case reports) and a poster presentation.

Thanks, just saw this.

It really does seem like you are more than qualified. Assuming there are no other red flags, I would just chalk this up to a very competitive match. It won't be easy but I would try not to let it get you down, pursue the best possible research fellowship you can.

If you still have points of contact, I would reach out to the derm programs that interviewed you to see if they could offer any insight as to why you may have fallen on their rank order list and see if you can correct those flaws.

And having done all that, I think you will have success the 2nd time around. Sorry you have to go through this but wishing you the best of luck on your next step!

I am at a loss. None of my prelims were linked. My first two choices were cushy but the others were not. One was at my home school. I did an away at UPenn and received a great review. They said I would be a great asset to any program. I ranked the other away as my top choice and I was told they wanted me. My home school also said something similar. Today my school's Derm program, which I have worked closely with (I am head of Derm interest group and they wrote LORs) said it was inexplicable and bad luck. I just don't understand failure to match at unlinked prelims. And a hospital I ranked as my number 4 shows up in SOAP. One of the comments I heard on the interview trail was your LORs say you walk on water. One interview (prelim) asked me what they could do to get me to rank them. I Just don't know what happened.

Thanks, just saw this.

It really does seem like you are more than qualified. Assuming there are no other red flags, I would just chalk this up to a very competitive match. It won't be easy but I would try not to let it get you down, pursue the best possible research fellowship you can.

If you still have points of contact, I would reach out to the derm programs that interviewed you to see if they could offer any insight as to why you may have fallen on their rank order list and see if you can correct those flaws.

And having done all that, I think you will have success the 2nd time around. Sorry you have to go through this but wishing you the best of luck on your next step!
Thank you for your suggestions. I am in a daze.

Thank you for your suggestions. I am in a daze.

you'd be amazed at how many qualified candidates don't end up matching every year. keep your head up; spots open more often than you think

It happens. Back in my day, I got 20 Derm interview offers, interviewed at 15 (the other 5 conflicted), but didn't match. I matched into a good intern year, but I ended up scrambling into a derm spot that same year so I didn't have to reapply.

It sucks now, but it'll get better.

I think that since you aren't doing an intern year, your choice to delay graduation is a good one.

You said "this will mean delaying graduation but from what I have read that would be the better option rather than graduating and applying next year as a US MD" - why would being a US MD hamper your chances and why should you delay graduation to do a research fellowship? Thank you

It's kind odd you didn't mach into a prelim spots (if you ranked 8, you should have matched).

Did you separately rank prelim only spots (i.e. not with an attached PGY-2 derm program)? If you don't rank these separately in the system, you can't match into a prelim program without also matching into derm.

I am at a loss. None of my prelims were linked. My first two choices were cushy but the others were not. One was at my home school. I did an away at UPenn and received a great review. They said I would be a great asset to any program. I ranked the other away as my top choice and I was told they wanted me. My home school also said something similar. Today my school's Derm program, which I have worked closely with (I am head of Derm interest group and they wrote LORs) said it was inexplicable and bad luck. I just don't understand failure to match at unlinked prelims. And a hospital I ranked as my number 4 shows up in SOAP. One of the comments I heard on the interview trail was your LORs say you walk on water. One interview (prelim) asked me what they could do to get me to rank them. I Just don't know what happened.

One of your ranked prelims was at your home program? Are you able to talk to them and get some feedback?

Truly sorry for your predicament. Goodluck going forward.

You said "this will mean delaying graduation but from what I have read that would be the better option rather than graduating and applying next year as a US MD" - why would being a US MD hamper your chances and why should you delay graduation to do a research fellowship? Thank you

I think this is probably just awkward phrasing.

In general, your best chance at matching dermatology is as a US MD who has NOT graduated from medical school yet.

Therefore, if you fail to match and already have a research fellowship lined up, delaying graduation is a good idea.

For many applicants, they will not have a research fellowship lined up. Or the research fellowship they are interested in requires completion of Step 3 and/or a preliminary year. In which case, the best course of action is to graduate, participate in as rigorous a prelim program as possible, apply for a research fellowship during said prelim year, complete research fellowship, and then reapply for a derm position during the research fellowship year. In this method, there will be a gap of 1 year between the research fellowship and start of dermatology residency unless the applicant is able to find a program with a vacancy outside of the match process.

Did you list all your prelims independently on your MAIN rank order list below all your derm ranks), and not just on your supplemental ROLs? This is necessary to match into just a prelim if you don't get the derm spot.

6 interviews for derm is pretty low. At least 12-14 seems like a solid number to have a good chance of matching. With your credentials, you should be getting that many interviews if you applied broadly.

Also, a lot of IM, TY, or Surgery programs with prelim spots already have a bad vibe for prelims. They see them as generally being smarter and having better credentials on paper than their categorical residents, but the prelims are not interested in IM or Surgery and just want to "make it through the year" with the minimum amount of work (ie want a cushy prelim year). If during interview day you start asked questions to anyone such as the number of weeks of vacation you'll get, how much wards/ICU versus elective time you will get, salary/benefits, overnight call, work hours, or the patient volume you're expected to handle, this would have raised a major red flag to programs.

I am so sorry you are having to go through this. I dealt with a tough couples match and the stress at this time is incredible. I really believe it is a very random process at times and a numbers game if you don't have an inside connection at a particular program. Your stats are good but agree that the number of derm interviews you received was on the low end. When I was applying around 10 is usually the number at which you can be more reassured about matching. I was actually surprised when I applied at how competitive prelim spots are. I initially only applied to like 10 prelim programs and then when I only got a couple interviews I applied to a ton more and ultimately only ended up getting around 6 interviews and fell pretty far in my prelim list. I think you have a good plan about doing the research year..if you are committed to pursuing derm despite the setback often the best way is to make positive personal connections at a program and show them what you will bring to the program. It also strongly helps to have mentorship during that year with people who will go to bat for you when you're reapplying (both at that program and with calls to others!) Good luck and hang in there!

Did you list all your prelims independently on your MAIN rank order list below all your derm ranks), and not just on your supplemental ROLs? This is necessary to match into just a prelim if you don't get the derm spot.

6 interviews for derm is pretty low. At least 12-14 seems like a solid number to have a good chance of matching. With your credentials, you should be getting that many interviews if you applied broadly.

Also, a lot of IM, TY, or Surgery programs with prelim spots already have a bad vibe for prelims. They see them as generally being smarter and having better credentials on paper than their categorical residents, but the prelims are not interested in IM or Surgery and just want to "make it through the year" with the minimum amount of work (ie want a cushy prelim year). If during interview day you start asked questions to anyone such as the number of weeks of vacation you'll get, how much wards/ICU versus elective time you will get, salary/benefits, overnight call, work hours, or the patient volume you're expected to handle, this would have raised a major red flag to programs.

Just have to reply that this post seems super disconnected from reality. I think you’re overstating the way that prelim programs think about applicants. This is coming from a derm resident who served on my prelim selection committee at a competitive program in a very desireable location.

You’re there for a year and aren’t going into that specialty. They honestly just need a work horse of residents to run their busy service and they want smart capable people who aren’t lazy to do that. Most programs just pick on how much they like you and your likelihood of ranking them high. In other words, thinking u want to be there too. No one wants someone who doesn’t want to be there.

In terms of the questions you point out as “red flags”....those are standard questions any applicant should ask of residents and attendings at a program. You’re interviewing for a job and you’re entitled to ask about responsibilities of that job. No one is going to ding you for inquiring about what the night float schedule is like or how much ICU time you have. This is especially true of talking to current prelims as they were all just in the same “boat” as you and understand your goals for the year are much different than a categorical resident.

Reactions: 1 users
This may be a really dumb question, but it can happen... are you sure you verified and submitted your rank list? If you changed it at all before the deadline, did you triple check that you submitted it again? If not, it won't resubmit on its own after a change.