Dermatology PAs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I mean, I agree with Kanye having matched in Derm this year, went on 15+ interviews and learned about how my home program works with other programs in the selection process. Connections and who vouches for you > everything else. It takes time and access to impress a big wig.

Derm residencies are small so they have a huge impetus to make sure they 'know' who they are getting. Lots of calls behind the scenes. Plenty of double checks. And if you're an unknown with great stats/recs, you're viewed as suspect in regards to 'really' wanting to attend to that program. There are plenty of students that look like you that they 'know' or someone they know knows you.

Yes, you can do all the things Dermione suggests...but what MS1 can confidently say "yes I want to do Derm" on day 1. It shouldn't be that hard. I have nothing against research fellowship, though I didn't do one, but it's like writing a $300,000 check to the world for the privilege of doing someone else's research for a year. Is it truly formative or is it to ensure a spot in Derm? Last time I checked medical school is 4 years, medical training is long enough already and expensive enough already.

I think the process needs to de-emphasize the letters of rec and who you know. It should be more fair in regards to a more rigorous on-site interviewing to really assess a candidate's problem solving ability (as elite companies do) and understanding of their research (whether in cards, derm, health policy). The pitfall of not evolving the selection process is that every Derm applicant is going to follow the same formula..

I think you hit the nail on the head. You can do everything "right" in derm (board scores, grades, LOR, research) and not match. While the chances of this happening (assuming you meet the criteria) are lower at the higher ranked schools, it still does happen. Connections do play a huge role (I can't emphasize this enough). This is the nature of the field being so small- these programs based on numbers can't afford to pick a "bad apple" and why take that risk if you don't have to. Your point about "on-site interviewing" is why away rotations are so important, as these are truly extended interviews and a way to make the aforementioned connections.

Members don't see this ad.

I understand it might be a defeatist attitude, but I have to be realistic about my abilities. Not all of us can be derm material in terms of grades, board scores, # research pubs, and etc.

people have their limitations in terms of aptitude, available opportunities, and circumstance.

Still, aim high. I would not bank on derm becoming less competitive anytime soon. There certainly is an increase in the usage of midlevels (but at least in my neck of the woods, fortunately no push for independent operation by midlevels) but that is not going to dissuade the best of the best from applying to dermatology.

Still, aim high. I would not bank on derm becoming less competitive anytime soon. There certainly is an increase in the usage of midlevels (but at least in my neck of the woods, fortunately no push for independent operation by midlevels) but that is not going to dissuade the best of the best from applying to dermatology.
I will. just not aiming at the competitive level of derm/plastic.

My school has major connections to a specific surgical subspecialty. so I will be gunning for that. I just wish derm was within my reach, but there literally isn't a derm program in another 100 miles of me, so I cannot do research without taking a significant time off of my schedule.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the process needs to de-emphasize the letters of rec and who you know. It should be more fair in regards to a more rigorous on-site interviewing to really assess a candidate's problem solving ability (as elite companies do) and understanding of their research (whether in cards, derm, health policy). The pitfall of not evolving the selection process is that every Derm applicant is going to follow the same formula..

There is no way that de-emphasizing letters will occur. I'm not for that either. Derm is not unique in that making connections is important. This is the real world and these decisions are based on many subjective factors. Interviews are subjective by the way they work. Body language, mannerisms, voice intonation, projection of confidence are all subjective factors that may be more important that what you end up saying.

Objective standards is an interesting notion but I've never believed that "objective" interviews are totally objective. I've seen "objective" interviewers in the end make comments like the applicant was not dressed such and such or their facial expression was such and such. Not very objective in the end if you ask me. I worry about hiding behind the veil of objectivity to still make subjective decisions.

Reactions: 1 user
I will. just not aiming at the competitive level of derm/plastic.

My school has major connections to a specific surgical subspecialty. so I will be gunning for that. I just wish derm was within my reach, but there literally isn't a derm program in another 100 miles of me, so I cannot do research without taking a significant time off of my schedule.

I'm confused, do you want to be a dermatologist? If so, make it happen. Cut it with the defeatist attitude. I faced everything that you're facing and matched derm. It's not because I'm smarter than anyone, it's because I worked for it. You can too.

There is no way that de-emphasizing letters will occur. I'm not for that either. Derm is not unique in that making connections is important. This is the real world and these decisions are based on many subjective factors. Interviews are subjective by the way they work. Body language, mannerisms, voice intonation, projection of confidence are all subjective factors that may be more important that what you end up saying.

Objective standards is an interesting notion but I've never believed that "objective" interviews are totally objective. I've seen "objective" interviewers in the end make comments like the applicant was not dressed such and such or their facial expression was such and such. Not very objective in the end if you ask me. I worry about hiding behind the veil of objectivity to still make subjective decisions.
I agree. There is nothing objective about interviews in Derm, vs. any other specialty. Part of the reason that Derm can be ultra picky and act as armchair Psychiatrists is bc they have the luxury of getting to choose their residents. Pretty much who they choose for their top ranks will match there - hence things such as body language, mannerisms, voice intonation, confidence, can be assessed.

I agree. There is nothing objective about interviews in Derm, vs. any other specialty. Part of the reason that Derm can be ultra picky and act as armchair Psychiatrists is bc they have the luxury of getting to choose their residents. Pretty much who they choose for their top ranks will match there - hence things such as body language, mannerisms, voice intonation, confidence, can be assessed.
this is where I genuinely excel at.

but getting to that stage where you can interview is the most difficult thing for me.

this is where I genuinely excel at.

but getting to that stage where you can interview is the most difficult thing for me.
Yes, but those metrics: Class rank, board scores, etc. aren't subjective. All interviewees have those things, so it's not like it's harder for you to achieve those things.

Yes, but those metrics: Class rank, board scores, etc. aren't subjective. All interviewees have those things, so it's not like it's harder for you to achieve those things.
true, I am just not at derm's caliber.

How do you know, when you haven't even entered med school yet?
good point. lol. we'll see I guess.

is research in basic science or a surgical sub specialty of any value to derm pds?

good point. lol. we'll see I guess.

is research in basic science or a surgical sub specialty of any value to derm pds?
You don't have to do basic science research. Clinical research is just fine. DOs have their own derm residencies as well.

You don't have to do basic science research. Clinical research is just fine. DOs have their own derm residencies as well.
ppl have told me that research outside of derm isn't highly valued by most derm program directors.

is there some truth to that?

ppl have told me that research outside of derm isn't highly valued by most derm program directors.

is there some truth to that?
It naturally won't be as highly valued as derm research. The whole point of doing research demonstrates your interest in the field in question. Same for Ortho, ENT, Plastics, etc.

It naturally won't be as highly valued as derm research. The whole point of doing research demonstrates your interest in the field in question. Same for Ortho, ENT, Plastics, etc.
well, we'll just have to see what happens. thanks.

http://www.lahey.org/Departments_an...e_Practitioner_Fellowship_in_Dermatology.aspx

200_s.gif