Dermatology vs. Cosmetology school? Advice please.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Controll

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I've really been torn between these two fields. I know that derms do chemical peels, laser treatmetns, Renova, etc. I was wondering if I can do (almost) all the same thing by going into Cosmetology? (Actually these days cosmetology is getting pretty competitive, so I feel I'd be an equal candidate for both). Do people going into derm feel more satisfied in this career? Any of you regret your decision?

Members don't see this ad.

Most Dermatologists spend about 15% if that, of their time on cosmetic related procedures although many do focus on this. FPs Internists and others are spending increasing time doing cosmetic procedures ,you do not have to enter Derm to do these kinds of things.I enjoy medical dermatology,and wouldnt do anything else.Its a field that covers alot of ground dermatopathology,surgery,peds etc so its possible to find your place.
I have no doubt that cosmetology can be a rewarding career and will save you much in med school loans.

the original poster was joking! :laugh: (I think?)

Members don't see this ad :)
Controll said:
Hi, I've really been torn between these two fields. I know that derms do chemical peels, laser treatmetns, Renova, etc. I was wondering if I can do (almost) all the same thing by going into Cosmetology? (Actually these days cosmetology is getting pretty competitive, so I feel I'd be an equal candidate for both). Do people going into derm feel more satisfied in this career? Any of you regret your decision?

Umm, hard call... $8 an hr at a local mall or 200+K a year, plus the honor to serve as a medical doctor. Not to degrade you, but not people I have heard of or known through others that went into Cosmetology have just made it through high school.

If you are really thinking of either career, go with Cosmetology. If you are at a point to compare both, you for sure do not know what you are getting into. medical school, medical school loans (if needed), residency and if you choose fellowship (Dem usually not needed).

Good luck with you choice, seems like a big one!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
this is a joke-- the original poster is making fun of derm

I just finished my derm rotation, and I'm wondering the same thing as the OP! Such a hard choice! The hours are about the same and both require licensure, but the patient population that a cosmetologist serves is obviously slightly better (more cash business, no pesky insurance crap, they usually don't talk about their "diseases" and "conditions"), but the MD dermatologist is a little better at using the Big C to scare people into coming into the office, and the long white coats and stethoscope around the rear view mirror look impressive. I'm thinking of doing a derm residency with a cosmetology fellowship so I can moonlight in the mall on weekends for some extra cash, since MD dermatologists obviously don't earn enough to justify all the puss and sick people they deal with.

Controll said:
From what I've seen, the 2 personality types are not that different. It just boils down to the size of the ego in the end.

:)

:rolleyes: dude, guys, look at OP's name. conTROLL

I just finished my derm rotation, and I'm wondering the same thing as the OP! Such a hard choice! The hours are about the same and both require licensure, but the patient population that a cosmetologist serves is obviously slightly better (more cash business, no pesky insurance crap, they usually don't talk about their "diseases" and "conditions"), but the MD dermatologist is a little better at using the Big C to scare people into coming into the office, and the long white coats and stethoscope around the rear view mirror look impressive. I'm thinking of doing a derm residency with a cosmetology fellowship so I can moonlight in the mall on weekends for some extra cash, since MD dermatologists obviously don't earn enough to justify all the puss and sick people they deal with.

Yeah, derm is surprisingly competitive for having such a mediocre salary. It seems like radiology has the better combination of lifestyle/pay, and it's less competitive.