"Describe a situation in which you didn’t get something you felt you deserved" question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jinjames0

Reaction score
Hello SDN,

I answered this question in a way that shows how I reacted to a form of disrespect in a manner that shows maturity and grace, but I see a lot of people treating this like another challenge essay where you face rejection/disappointment and show introspection and growth. Should I be treating it like another challenge essay?

Thanks and have a nice day y'all :D

Members don't see this ad.

I would avoid. It’s easy to construe this as you judging others and or looking at them negatively. You will probably be disrespected by a lot of patients in healthcare and while no provider deserves that, the secondary isn’t the place to air out those grievances.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just answer the question. It is NOT a challenge prompt, it's quite specific.

Reacting to disrespect with grace does not sound like you're answering the prompt
I would avoid. It’s easy to construe this as you judging others and or looking at them negatively. You will probably be disrespected by a lot of patients in healthcare and while no provider deserves that, the secondary isn’t the place to air out those grievances.
Thank you !

"Disrespect" is what your prompt is asking for regarding your reaction. We want to know the specific situation in this prompt and how you followed up on it.

It's not a challenge essay because you are not trying to reach a goal or solve a problem. It's more a gauge of how maturely you handle disappointment, disrespect, or being unacknowledged by others. It also measures what level of self-respect you have and a sense of how you want to be treated.

Don't use the situation when you thought you deserved to get into medical school but didn't. Avoid all grades or course related situations.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Is this question a trap designed to catch the privileged who think that they "deserve" what they want and react badly when they don't get it?

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
"Disrespect" is what your prompt is asking for regarding your reaction. We want to know the specific situation in this prompt and how you followed up on it.

It's not a challenge essay because you are not trying to reach a goal or solve a problem. It's more a gauge of how maturely you handle disappointment, disrespect, or being unacknowledged by others. It also measures what level of self-respect you have and a sense of how you want to be treated.

Don't use the situation when you thought you deserved to get into medical school but didn't. Avoid all grades or course related situations.
I originally wrote about an interaction I had with an angry patient who cursed at me; I stuck with him and helped him out and he ended up apologizing. But I think the general consensus above back then was that this did not answer the question properly.

So I wrote about a time I got a zero on an essay for plagiarism in college and described how I initially felt falsely accused then realized what I did wrong and owned up to my mistake, but I didn't know I should avoid talking about grades :c.

Or a trap to see who dodges the question!
Hmph... then I probably shouldn't write about how fortunate I think I am because that would be avoiding the questions...? :cc

Thank you for your responses!

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
  • Haha
I think you could write about not getting the respect you felt you deserved, and what you did as a consequence to earn that respect.

All I know is, I ended up not getting a II from the school that used this essay. Not sure if it was for my response for this prompt or something else but it’s definitely a “gotcha” prompt.

Reactions: 1 user