Destroyer'13 Q104 GC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hope_to_match

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
He gives mass and atomic number for Th (225, 90 respectively) and says that it undergoes 3 alpha decays, 4 beta decays and a gamma decay...

I got this question wrong because he never mentioned what kind of beta decay (beta emission or positron emission). When I looked at the solution he implied as though it was a positron emission and as a result the atomic number from 4 of those will increase by 4..

My question is: did anyone who take the DAT or did other practice problems have come across a GC problem on nuclear chemistry that does not specify the type of beta decay???

Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

Beta decay is beta decay. Positron emission is positron emission. Both are different

Beta particle have a -1 charge (adding a proton)

Positron emission has a +1 charge (lose a proton)

Both have a mass of 0.

Beta decay is beta decay. Positron emission is positron emission. Both are different

Beta particle have a -1 charge (adding a proton)

Positron emission has a +1 charge (lose a proton)

Both have a mass of 0.

Chad's notes say Beta decay for both and then in parentheses he has B emission and Positron emission...

I am so confused...

I understand they are different...I was confused because both are Beta decay but there are two types of Beta decay one is B emission and the other Positron Emission. I know the difference between the two..I am confused because I thought it has to be specified whether it is a B emission or Positron Emission

When I looked at the solution he implied as though it was a positron emission and as a result the atomic number from 4 of those will increase by 4...

Super wrong, his answer implied beta decay not positron emission. The fact that the atomic number increased by 4 means two of our neutrons turned into protons

So we have a neutron here, let's say it's represented by =

Well, = is really just +- stuck together (for the sake of this example)

When we emit a positron +, what has our = become? It's now just a - . This would make our atomic number decrease by 1, not increase.

When we do beta decay and lose -, our = has become a + . This makes our atomic number increase by 1.

You may want to rewatch Chad's videos, because you are understanding it backwards.

Super wrong, his answer implied beta decay not positron emission. The fact that the atomic number increased by 4 means two of our neutrons turned into protons

So we have a neutron here, let's say it's represented by =

Well, = is really just +- stuck together (for the sake of this example)

When we emit a positron +, what has our = become? It's now just a - . This would make our atomic number decrease by 1, not increase.

When we do beta decay and lose -, our = has become a + . This makes our atomic number increase by 1.

You may want to rewatch Chad's videos, because you are understanding it backwards.

i totally am..thanks :)