Determining quality of pharmacist training at institutions renowned for physician training

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PearlGirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone provide insight to sources for evaluating a program’s reputation for quality training? I am very excited for some of the interviews I have been fortunate enough to obtain, however, I have non-specifically been warned by preceptors that “big name programs (such as Mayo Clinic) renowned for physician training/research do not necessarily provide excellent pharmacist training.” I imagine this also varies campus to campus.

Thank you for any guidance you have!

Members don't see this ad.

My advice would be to speak to the current residents and see what they have to say about their rotations. Ask about their daily routines and staffing requirements. Also ask how confident/how well-prepared they feel staffing on their own. Regardless of almost every resident trying to be PC, if something is "off", it will show. I've come across residents who said they felt ready by December, and some that nervously chuckled, "well..." Obviously this will vary widely resident to resident, but if more than 1 at a particular program doesn't seem ready to staff on their own by this time, maybe the training is not adequate/rigorous enough.

You're right that some "big names" institution aren't as well-received as some other less well-known (nationally) local institutions when it comes to hiring pharmacy resident graduates. For example, when I went to interview for my job with a DOP, he said if resident from program X applied he would take that resident over others because of how rigorous their curriculum is (awkward moment - for me - as obviously I didn't come from program X :p). But information like that is difficult to get a hold of - I didn't even know how well-received program X is locally until he told me. At this point, gauging current residents is probably your best bet.

Reactions: 1 user
To evaluate the training itself, something I heard is that you should try to talk to people who finished their residencies at that institution. Current residents give very valuable input, but if there's a way for you to contact people who already finished their residencies in that program without bothering them, residency graduates definitely know whether that program gave them good direction and training and can vouch for if the program's name carried them anywhere.

In terms of reputation, though, I think it's more a personal opinion thing and it depends on people and where they're from. It depends on who you talk to and where they're from and ultimately I'm not sure how much it matters as long as you have the training you want/need.

Reactions: 1 user
Reputation may not have been the best use of words. I want to ensure a quality education, and I don’t want to allow being enamored with a name to cloud my judgement.

Thank you both so much!