Diagnostics...again

Started by SMIGuy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SMIGuy

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So there are a plethora of accounts for why diagnostics are not meaningful. Particularly Sn2d's argument comes to mind. I took a diagnostic today as it is required by our pre health committee at my school. I scored a perfectly balanced 30. The argument against diagnostics is that they artificially provide low scores. Does anyone believe they can do the inverse (i.e. can they artificially provide a good score)? I'm not taking this to mean I don't need to prepare. Obviously I want to score as high as possible, but does a decent score on a diagnostic indicate a strong starting point or is the consensus that regardless of score it is meaningless? If it helps, it was the Kaplan diagnostic.
 
@SMIGuy

I think the Kaplan diagnostic provides inflated scores. IIRC, the curve for the science sections is unrealistically lenient.

I think I scored ~34 when I had yet to take Organic Chemistry or Physics*. When I had finished my all prereqs, I took a TPR diagnostic and got ~28 (which was much more representative of my content deficiencies).

*I did have a semi-decent GenChem and GenBio background though.