Diary: ExamKracker MCAT studying begins... Who is with me? Version 6 for May

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

christian15213

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!!!

Just wanted to invite anyone who owns the examkrackers examination books version 6 and is starting to study for the mcats this upcomming April / May. I can only afford to take this test one time because the application and entire process begins for me this summer.

I have started first with the Biology section and have a couple comments and things about the book that I like so far and some complaints so far. I have only done lecture one.

As well, I have audio osmosis and one of the things I really like is that is follows the book quite nicely. Please respond asap and we can work on things and go through things together.

Members don't see this ad.

You're in the same boat as me. I can only take the test once due to ROTC requirements which is really nerve-wrecking.

I've been doing the EK books on and off for the past week and a half. I love the colored pictures and the practice problems. I had a Kaplan book first and it was so damn boring because you'd have to read a huge chapter before you could do some practice problems. EK is skimpy on some details but I got some textbooks to reference to.

I did the first chapter in Bio and really just skimmed alot since I've had so much bio already. I did the first practice test and managed to miss only one so I'm really confident about the material. I put bio aside and went onto physics. Physics is looking like it's my major weakness but I think I'm improving. The only problem is that after you've done the practice problems in the books, there isn't anything else. The 1001 questions for physics are really easy or just technical math manipulation (or so it seems so far). There doesn't seem to be so much conceptual questions.

I give EK a thumbs up though :thumbup: .

Hey so I don't know how much help I will be but count me in. I am doing self study with the EK stuff. The bio does not look to bad neither does the verbal. I am having a hard time getting started wtih the chem and physics. I am trying to remember way back to HS and basic math stuff :( I think if I can remember how to move around things in my equations and trig then I will be somewhat okay.

I just ordered the 101 books so I will have them around the 6th.

I'm doing the EK books as well. Starting this week. I'll be doing it a little different then the study schedule. I'm going to try to do all the lectures in one week. Such as all lecture 1's in the same week.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hopefully my EK book will show up on Tuesday, except I'm taking the exam at the end of January, so I guess I'll be the guinea pig for the group...I just wish I'd been more on top of things and gotten the book sooner! I've been taking notes on the MCAT outline to study so far, but I think the book will be better prep. I guess we'll see won't we?

Nate.

Oh - I want to get smart with people - I think that is a great idea! Mine aren't in yet, but I will (hopefully) be able to catch up once they arrive...

I am already terrified of not doing well enough on the MCAT...not a good way to start out!

I started the Bio EK book last week and it reminded me much I really hate studying genes :(

Hopefully my EK book will show up on Tuesday, except I'm taking the exam at the end of January, so I guess I'll be the guinea pig for the group...

I took the MCAT in August and only studied for 1 month with the EK V6 books so it's definitely doable (didn't have the gen chem book as they were out). I hadn't had any bio or orgo classes but I still made a 9 with only the EK material, so it's pretty good stuff (PS 13, VR 12, but I had gen chem, physics, and I knew how to read ;)). I think that now that I have had orgo my score would have been closer to the other sections.

One thing on the EK Bio is that it is kind of skimpy on genetics and there was a lot of genetics on my form for the August MCAT, so you might want to get a supplement (I had practice scores of 8-11 on BS using the EK and AAMC practice tests but neither had as much genetics on them as the real deal).

Also, check out the errata for the different books on the EK forums website as there are some (not a lot) miskeyed answers for the in-chapter quizzes and tests and the same for some of the audio osmosis discussions.

Good luck to all!

I'm an EK-er too for the May 11 MCAT. I'm halfway through bio and doing the chapter questions. I'm also doing AAMC 3R untimed as sort of a baseline score (since it's free). I plan on using the 1001 series and maybe even Kaplan's Qbank to practice questions once I'm done reviewing the material.

When i finish with 3R I'll know where my weaknesses lie (epsecially since it's hailed as one of the easier tests) and probably spend more time reviewing my weak areas too.

:luck: everyone!

I took the MCAT in August and only studied for 1 month with the EK V6 books so it's definitely doable (didn't have the gen chem book as they were out). I hadn't had any bio or orgo classes but I still made a 9 with only the EK material, so it's pretty good stuff (PS 13, VR 12, but I had gen chem, physics, and I knew how to read ;)). I think that now that I have had orgo my score would have been closer to the other sections.

One thing on the EK Bio is that it is kind of skimpy on genetics and there was a lot of genetics on my form for the August MCAT, so you might want to get a supplement (I had practice scores of 8-11 on BS using the EK and AAMC practice tests but neither had as much genetics on them as the real deal).

Also, check out the errata for the different books on the EK forums website as there are some (not a lot) miskeyed answers for the in-chapter quizzes and tests and the same for some of the audio osmosis discussions.

Good luck to all!

Did you use another book to review for genetics?

I'm doing the EK books as well. Starting this week. I'll be doing it a little different then the study schedule. I'm going to try to do all the lectures in one week. Such as all lecture 1's in the same week.

do you mean all lectures of the different subject matters... I wasn't thinking of doing this because I want to get a better idea where my weakness's lie...

My first impressions of Bio lecture 1...

I see that a lot of the information is good but some things are a little lacking. I don't like when a question states at the explanation "you should know that proline or cystosine is such and such... No, I shouldn't know that... lol but that is small potatoes I guess. I feel I am week with enzymes and some other areas so hopefully Biochem this semester puts a better light on things.

Lastly, someone above mentioned there is a correction sheet for some of the answers... Could someone show a link and perhaps list it on here... I dunno if I can use the forums over there and they aren't that good...

Thanks for all the respones...

Hello everyone, I'm also using the EK books to study. I'm hoping to get done with all the lectures by the time my spring semester starts... Jan 9th. And I'll do as many practice tests as I can after that.

So far I've finished orgo lecture 1 and skimmed the bio and physics lecture 1. All the material in the book is relevant to the MCAT but I'm starting to feel like it is oversimplified. The free-standing questions, I love, but the passages are another issue altogether. That is the hardest thing for me on the MCAT. Picking out what's important in the passages and keeping track of time. I have a long way to go. And like some of you, I'm going to take the MCAT once and give it my best shot.

I think the EK books are a great way to start off. :thumbup:

oh one more thing, EK has a forum that has explanations to some of the lecture questions (www.examkrackersforum.com) i assume any errata they find in the books will be posted on the forum. they also have a question of the day on the main page (www.examkrackers.com).

goodluck everyone!

Did you use another book to review for genetics?

No, but hindsight is 20/20. If I had studied the genetics more I think that my score could have been a point higher because there were so many questions(there were like 2 passages and couple stand alones).

I did achieve my goal of getting an "average" score (national percentile) on the BS section without having had the pre-reqs though, and I credit it all to the EK material.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi folks,

It's good to know that I'm not the only one starting my new year off by starting to study for MCATs. I bought the complete package with 101 Verbal together. I read lecture 1 from chemistry and boy, here I was thinking I had mastered General Chem but after going through Lecture 1, I'm not so sure, haha. (I had never came across effective nuclear charge (Zeff) before hence I was completely lost on that section).

Anyway, I see that the general consensus is to go through the complete package thoroughly. 101 Verbal looks great and I have yet to start looking through it. However, I was wondering whether getting all 1001 questions (bio, phys, orgo, chem) was worth it? Anyone have all of the 1001 question books? If so, what's your general strategy as far as studying goes?

I am using examkrackers too. I have the 1001 series for all sections and so far I've read through almost all the bio, and most chem and physics (haven't looked at o.chem yet...just trying to remember it on my own!). I haven't done any of the in-chapter questions or the passages in the back because I have kaplan and the aamc exams. I've taken 4 practice exams already (Kaplan diagnostic and Kaplan full lengths 1,2,3) and I'm already somewhat confident with my performance. My plan is just to review my weak areas like crazy, especially the questions I've gotten wrong on the practice tests. I've done well in my pre-reqs (although I've only taken 1 semester of bio, but am taking more classes this coming semester) so I feel like I know the material pretty well. I do agree that examkrackers is a bit over simplified, but I think you can still answer nearly all the questions anyway.
Good luck everyone!

I just got my EK version six books last week, and am almost done with my first round of the physics book. I am going to try and follow the system they recommend: read through it once for leisure, read it a second time highlighting/annotating, do all the problems in the book as you go through the second time, and then read it a careful third time (then on to practice tests). I almost started with bio but thought better of it and started with physics first because I feel it is my weakest area. I also bought the 1001 questions books for some of the subjects, if I like them I'll get the others.
Next up is orgo, then a toss up for gen chem or bio, I feel like I am pretty strong there. LOL it is so sad that this was my favorite xmas gift : )

Good luck to us!

I've done the first chapter of physics and I'm currently working through chapter 1 of bio. How long does it take you all to get through a lesson? Perhaps it's just holiday laziness, but, when I try to read the chapters 3x, I usually get halfway through on the second reading and have to pick up later.

I just got my EK version six books last week, and am almost done with my first round of the physics book. I am going to try and follow the system they recommend: read through it once for leisure, read it a second time highlighting/annotating, do all the problems in the book as you go through the second time, and then read it a careful third time (then on to practice tests). I almost started with bio but thought better of it and started with physics first because I feel it is my weakest area. I also bought the 1001 questions books for some of the subjects, if I like them I'll get the others.
Next up is orgo, then a toss up for gen chem or bio, I feel like I am pretty strong there. LOL it is so sad that this was my favorite xmas gift : )

Good luck to us!

I wanted to ask... Are you really going to do the READ it 3 times thing... I think it is pretty cumbersome... but I end up going back to what I am weak on and try to read that part as much as possible... I dunno are you following it striclty? anyone else have thoughts on that?

I'm taking the 4/16 test so count me in, too. My EK set should be here tomorrow but I've been studying Physics for a couple of weeks because it's definitely my weakest area. Not sure what sort of schedule I'll follow once my books get here.

I'm doing physics first because it is my weakest subject. So far i have done the first two lectures. Also I'm waiting for my 1001 books to arrive last time i took the test my biggest mistake was not practicing enough.

OK...My books JUST got here from Amazon. I finished taking notes on the outline from AAMC up through O-chem last night, so I'm starting with gen chem then physics...then I'll go back to O-chem and finish with Bio since I'm strongest in Bio. Oh, and I'll intersperse VR in there throughout to break-up the science stuff. Thus begins the cramming! :eek:

Nate.

I keep screwing up physics. I just finished the lecture 3 exam and I missed nearly half the questions. This is not looking well :thumbdown:.

can anyone give me the ISBN number for the EK 1001 for physics, orgo, bio, n verbal please???

can anyone give me the ISBN number for the EK 1001 for physics, orgo, bio, n verbal please???

verbal 1893858243
bio 1893858219
physics 1893858189
orgo 1893858197
and just in case somedoby wants it gen chem 1893858227

I wanted to ask... Are you really going to do the READ it 3 times thing... I think it is pretty cumbersome... but I end up going back to what I am weak on and try to read that part as much as possible... I dunno are you following it striclty? anyone else have thoughts on that?

i'm really going to....try : ) lol

I've been reading everything thrice; I figure that it's better to get the material down while reviewing than to put in less effort and have to return to it later in the game, when one should be spending time on practice exams. But then again, I've only begun studying, so it's very likely I'll drop this gung-ho attitude.

I am going over the genetics right now and I can honestly say that if I hadn't taken the class I would be lost as sauce to what is really going on... It makes me think that this book is a good review but as far as implementing knowledge is something that remains to be seen. However, with that said I feel the questions and answers to the question are a huge strength of the book so it should pan out... but alas I have a feeling some old books are going to need to be pulled.

Hey everyone!!!

Just wanted to invite anyone who owns the examkrackers examination books version 6 and is starting to study for the mcats this upcomming April / May. I can only afford to take this test one time because the application and entire process begins for me this summer.

I have started first with the Biology section and have a couple comments and things about the book that I like so far and some complaints so far. I have only done lecture one.

As well, I have audio osmosis and one of the things I really like is that is follows the book quite nicely. Please respond asap and we can work on things and go through things together.

Hey - thanks for starting this thread! I am also interested in what others thought about the EK series, having just started myself.

I initially set up a schedule that closely resembled the 10-week EK home study schedule; however, I am finding that their time estimates are very unrealistic (or maybe I read slowly?). Is anyone else finding this the case? I don't know how anyone can be expected to do an entire lecture (taking notes), do the in-lecture questions, the 30-minute in-class exam, and analyze missed questions in 2-3 hours. It took me much longer - at least twice that. (This was also the Bio Lec 1, which was somewhat unfamiliar to me, as I only took basic biology.) Since I have to work full-time (with an hour commute), while studying for the MCAT, I am now thinking of changing my test date and doing 2 lectures a week instead of the four recommended by the EK schedule. Anybody else revising the schedule to make it longer?

The Audio Osmosis is great, supplements the lectures very well. The books are good, but I sometimes worry that I am not covering the material in-depth enough. (I have to fight the urge to read the Kaplan books - borrowed from a friend - for more in-depth information.)

I'm taking the April 7th MCat and I'm just now starting the EK books. You guys this I'll be fine? I've finished all the prereqs for med school so I hope much will be review..heh

me too aznguyen :) i'm taking the april 7th mcat and i'm now starting too... i think we'll be okay... 3 months should be sufficient, i hope haha.

i'm using exam krackers and kaplan stuff. best of luck to everyone!!!!

I'm in with the rest of you, april or may mcat depending on how confident I feel. Hopefully in the next week or so I'll order my ek book set and get started. Right now I've been working on a practice mcat exam untimed just to get a general feel for what will probably cause me the most problems so that when I get the ek books I can focus more on specific areas. Coupled with that I intend to get my hands on all of the practice exams offered by aamc, and run through those timed so that I can get my timing down! G'luck to everyone!

Hey - thanks for starting this thread! I am also interested in what others thought about the EK series, having just started myself.

I initially set up a schedule that closely resembled the 10-week EK home study schedule; however, I am finding that their time estimates are very unrealistic (or maybe I read slowly?). Is anyone else finding this the case? I don't know how anyone can be expected to do an entire lecture (taking notes), do the in-lecture questions, the 30-minute in-class exam, and analyze missed questions in 2-3 hours. It took me much longer - at least twice that. (This was also the Bio Lec 1, which was somewhat unfamiliar to me, as I only took basic biology.) Since I have to work full-time (with an hour commute), while studying for the MCAT, I am now thinking of changing my test date and doing 2 lectures a week instead of the four recommended by the EK schedule. Anybody else revising the schedule to make it longer?

The Audio Osmosis is great, supplements the lectures very well. The books are good, but I sometimes worry that I am not covering the material in-depth enough. (I have to fight the urge to read the Kaplan books - borrowed from a friend - for more in-depth information.)

I agree completely with you:D ; this is completely unreal and it takes me about the same time that you ae spending. I am hoping to become more "efficient" as time progresses:mad:

I'm in with the rest of you, april or may mcat depending on how confident I feel. Hopefully in the next week or so I'll order my ek book set and get started. Right now I've been working on a practice mcat exam untimed just to get a general feel for what will probably cause me the most problems so that when I get the ek books I can focus more on specific areas. Coupled with that I intend to get my hands on all of the practice exams offered by aamc, and run through those timed so that I can get my timing down! G'luck to everyone!

me too. More likely may but not discarding June:p

Hey IUGrad! Yea I'm in the same situation... I'm skipping the lecture questions between each section because it just disrupts me when I read. But even then, it takes me 2-3 hours to get through only the reading since I sit and think about every point and leave no sentence uncontemplated haha. I'm guessing it's okay, because regardless of how long it takes... as long as I remember the info later on. I say spend as much time as you want, as long as you know the time is productive.

Considering the test is fast approaching, I wouldn't suggest turning it down to 2 lectures.. maybe 3... but honestly, we don't have much time. It's better to finish early and take lots of practice tests than to still be going through lectures up until a week before the test. I'm already paranoid as it is, I don't even want to think of my state if that became the case.

About changing the test date... I was also thinking about it since 3 months doesn't seem like enough time to study. But April right now seems most advantageous because of I can apply to med schools really early... but amcas allows postponing the test date until a week before the actual exam i think, so I'm just going to wait it out and hopefully I'll be as ready as I ever will be.

:luck:

QUOTE]

Hey! Yea I'm in the same situation... I'm skipping the lecture questions between each section because it just disrupts me when I read. But even then, it takes me 2-3 hours to get through each lecture since I sit and think about every point and leave no sentence uncontemplated haha. I'm guessing it's okay, because regardless of how long it takes... as long as I remember the info later on. I say spend as much time as you want, as long as you know the time is productive.

I hear you. I am contemplating 2 days per lecture with no monday prereading. I will be able to complete 3 lectures, leaving organic for last since I am almost done with biology. just a thought:cool:

Does anyone know where I can get my hands on the 10 week schedule. If i recall correctly there was a site that was under one of the stickies on the front page... But, it must have been taken down.

:D

My entire book seems to be yellow now. I seem to get things better when I highlight, but because these things are so condensed, mondo yellow!

I was looking at some of the Kaplan books... EK is so much better. color illustrations :love:

I'm doing things a bit differently than what they suggest doing. My goal is to get through all the lectures by the end of January, just reading them through once and answering the questions. Then, I'll do the 10 week study schedule actually taking notes and whatnot in the lectures, which'll put me in the middle of April. Then, the last few weeks before the test, I'm going to go back through and do the lectures that I had the most problems with. My schedule this semester should help me out too, since I'm taking O Chem II, Genetics, and Physiology. I have a feeling Physics will be my most troublesome section. Good luck to everyone.:luck:

I agree completely with you:D ; this is completely unreal and it takes me about the same time that you ae spending. I am hoping to become more "efficient" as time progresses:mad:

Glad to hear I'm not the only one!! ;)

BTW, I like your idea of doing one lecture in 2 days - how's it working out so far?

Hey IUGrad! Yea I'm in the same situation... I'm skipping the lecture questions between each section because it just disrupts me when I read. But even then, it takes me 2-3 hours to get through only the reading since I sit and think about every point and leave no sentence uncontemplated haha. I'm guessing it's okay, because regardless of how long it takes... as long as I remember the info later on. I say spend as much time as you want, as long as you know the time is productive.

Haha :laugh: I'm the same way! I have to thoroughly understand every sentence before I move on; that probably is why I read so slowly. Maybe it will pay off for us in the end though, that we are so thorough.

Considering the test is fast approaching, I wouldn't suggest turning it down to 2 lectures.. maybe 3... but honestly, we don't have much time. It's better to finish early and take lots of practice tests than to still be going through lectures up until a week before the test. I'm already paranoid as it is, I don't even want to think of my state if that became the case.

I agree - I don't think I could do 2 lectures a week and still make the April MCAT. I would only do that if I change to May or June. I'm afriad that even 3 lectures a week is too much for me to do in the evenings after work, if I continue taking so long per lecture.

About changing the test date... I was also thinking about it since 3 months doesn't seem like enough time to study. But April right now seems most advantageous because of I can apply to med schools really early... but amcas allows postponing the test date until a week before the actual exam i think, so I'm just going to wait it out and hopefully I'll be as ready as I ever will be.

I'm with you - I signed on for April hoping it would be the best to get the scores in early in the application process. On second thought, I wonder if May would still be early enough since we would have our scores by the end of June, still pretty early in the process. I also wanted an early test date so that I could take it again in the cycle, if need be (I hope not :luck: ).

I am going to try to just casually read all the lectures and answer the questions in the lectures in about 2-3 weeks to familiarize myself with the material and then go back over it more thoroughly with practice tests scattered in...

i think the whole reading lectures thing depends on the person. I, for instance, am in a process of taking orgo and phys and i am retaking gen chem 2. The material is very fresh in my head so i think i will only concentrate on bio and PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE.

This is what i was doing when i first decided to take MCAT in april 06 (i changed my mind and decided to first finish my pre-reqs and take it this year...probobly in june...at least i will try to make it june:D ):

To me reading the material was a waste of time especially when you already know it. MCAT is all about test taking abilities and being able to focus. Even if you know the material but didn't do enough practice you will be up for a disaster. And all that practice does is give you confidence. MCAT is not that bad, but it will indimidate the heack out of you. That is why practice is so important so you feel confident and won't be second guessing yourself (which is major loss of time during the exam).

The best way, at least for me, was to take FL and then figure out what your weaknesses are. What questions you got wrong and why? What questions you got right and why? Did you understand it or where you just lucky guessing? See if your thought process is going in the right direction. Then review those topics. EK 1001 series are great too, especially if you have obvious weaknesses in certain areas. For physics i would recomend memorizing and understanding all of the formulas and use Nova book...do as many problems as humanly possible.

I also find Audio Osmosis to be very helpful. Instead of reading the chapter gazilion times i read it once (with undevided attention, slowly and making sure i know what i am reading and understand everything), highlight what is important and then i'd just listen to AO whenever i am stuck in traffic:D Before taking the topical test at the end of chapter i revied what i highlighted before and do as many problems from 1001 books. It seemed to work because the info was really hummered into my brain.
In general i'd say spend about 20% of the time reviewing and 80% practicing and doing FL's.
I plan on starting again in february so i will be posting on my progress.
:luck: :luck: :luck: to all of you!

Glad to hear I'm not the only one!! ;)

BTW, I like your idea of doing one lecture in 2 days - how's it working out so far?

is working fine. I just finished reviewing using the TPR book. I think they cover the abosrbtion process better than EK and they have more pictures of the actual organs involved. I will post my impressions more clearly in my blog and my final score on the 30 min test from EK. :D

I just read lecture 2 of orgo.. and there are quite a few reactions where the book says "unlikely to be tested on the MCAT"... but I feel inclined to memorize it (possibilty wasting time) in case it's on a passage. Has anyone taken an actual/practice/diagnostic MCAT? How did you find the orgo reactions... from the usual list or were there some oddball reactions?

So I feel the same as most of you when it comes to studying this stuff. I am going to change how I do the first reading. The EK stuff suggested that you just read it to read and then write or highlight things on the second read, well I just can't do that. I keep losing focus on the first read and want to highlight or write my notes then, plus you figure in the time factor.....

Anyway I am going to starting underlining, etc. on my first read and see how it goes. My biggest problem is the basic math, that is holding up my understanding of the problems. It has been so long since I had to use my brain for math of all things :p