Did anyone make it through the 7 yr program at UCR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDtoBe777

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone make it through the 7 yr program at UCR?

Just curious...also, those that survived the cuts: what were ur GPAs?

Members don't see this ad.

bump..i know someone on SDN has.

i dont think anyone who has had to work towards both a bachelors and an md in 7 years has the time to be on sdn.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thread necromancy:

3.94, C/O 2008 @ Geffen UCLA.
I'm very certain at least 4 or 5 other people had 4.0's by the time the final cuts were made, and over half, 13/24 had GPA's above 3.9.

Putrescine said:
Thread necromancy:

3.94, C/O 2008 @ Geffen UCLA.
I'm very certain at least 4 or 5 other people had 4.0's by the time the final cuts were made, and over half, 13/24 had GPA's above 3.9.

That sounds brutal. I'm sure as hell glad I never went for it.

Jeffy said:
That sounds brutal. I'm sure as hell glad I never went for it.

yea. it's basically suicide i hear. so little people actually going to ucr to try to get into ucla med. and even that, it is 2 years at riverside then 2 years at LA, so it definitely isn't the full ride kind of experience.

the competition must be so vicious and cut-throat over there. especially those who can actually get a spot. :scared:

But the 7 year UCR/UCLA alumni can lick my nutsack, I hate every single last one of them. Of course there are a few here and there who are ok, some of whom are personal friends of mine too. But for the most part they're just about the largest collection of self-entitled pricks you'll ever meet in your lifetime.

Trust me you don't want to meet them.

Oh yeah, for you traditional MS UCLAers reading this right now, while you guys were busting your asses getting in the mid to high 30's on your MCATs so you could go to a good public California med school, and serving that extra year or two in the peace corps, these pricks got into the medical school phase program with MCATs in the mid to sort of high twenties. How's that sound to you?

Yeah and one of the little factoids they like to defensively fire off is that their board scores are on average 10 points higher than the regular UCLA med student. Well I'll let you in a little secret, these little ****s take 5 years to do a traditional medical school curriculum, while we crunch it down in 4. How you ask? They do a year of the Biochemistry/Cell Bio/Genetic courses in the last year of undergrad before they get into med school, which is essentially our first semseter of med school. So they get to extend their curriculum and spend more time doing the second year stuff and study for the boards. Un****ing believable? You're telling me.

Thats right guys, they sneak into those top residency programs with an edge and a silver platter while stuffing their **** faces the whole way. I wish I could do med school in 5 years and get away with it, I'd get a hundred on the boards. Yeah man never turn your back on a Biomed, they'll rob you, rape you, and leave you out to dry, all for nothing.

NNguyenMD said:
But the 7 year UCR/UCLA alumni can lick my nutsack, I hate every single last one of them. Of course there are a few here and there who are ok, some of whom are personal friends of mine too. But for the most part they're just about the largest collection of self-entitled pricks you'll ever meet in your lifetime.

Trust me you don't want to meet them.

Oh yeah, for you traditional MS UCLAers reading this right now, while you guys were busting your asses getting in the mid to high 30's on your MCATs so you could go to a good public California med school, and serving that extra year or two in the peace corps, these pricks got into the medical school phase program with MCATs in the mid to sort of high twenties. How's that sound to you?

Yeah and one of the little factoids they like to defensively fire off is that their board scores are on average 10 points higher than the regular UCLA med student. Well I'll let you in a little secret, these little ****s take 5 years to do a traditional medical school curriculum, while we crunch it down in 4. How you ask? They do a year of the Biochemistry/Cell Bio/Genetic courses in the last year of undergrad before they get into med school, which is essentially our first semseter of med school. So they get to extend their curriculum and spend more time doing the second year stuff and study for the boards. Un****ing believable? You're telling me.

Thats right guys, they sneak into those top residency programs with an edge and a silver platter while stuffing their **** faces the whole way. I wish I could do med school in 5 years and get away with it, I'd get a hundred on the boards. Yeah man never turn your back on a Biomed, they'll rob you, rape you, and leave you out to dry, all for nothing.

wow. that really is horrible. i can understand where your anger is coming from, even though i am not a med student yet. but that must tick off a lot of med students who are busting their brains out to do well to get the high scores on the boards and match to a top residency.

Just made it into the medical phase of the program this year. This year was the last they allowed only biomedical sciences students to apply for the 24 positions - in following years, it will be open to transfer students and students from other majors. I'll be happy to answer any questions about getting through the undergraduate part. :)

I know of two family friends that managed to undergo the process successfully. Both were extremely smart/motivated people and probably would have succeeded regardless if they were in the program. The first had an insane GPA and only one A- in a physics course her entire stay. Shes now at UCSF doing a surgical residency.

The second had similar stats and ended up doing a residency in Northwestern or something.

But it's tough and pretty compettitive.

Vomitonme said:
I know of two family friends that managed to undergo the process successfully. Both were extremely smart/motivated people and probably would have succeeded regardless if they were in the program. The first had an insane GPA and only one A- in a physics course her entire stay. Shes now at UCSF doing a surgical residency.

The second had similar stats and ended up doing a residency in Northwestern or something.

But it's tough and pretty compettitive.

I actually went to UCR, not as a biomed, but as a biochemistry major. The biomed students are very bright and very competitive. I've come across most of them since we have to take the same biochemistry courses during undergrad. Also I've had the opportunity to even TA a microbiology course that were mostly all biomeds and I have to say they are very cut-throat in making the A.

I've encountered several jerks who complained over their grade of a B+ in their homework assignments. I even had one make me cry during one of the discussion sections (he was being a rude smart alec).

There are always bad apples in a basket (they are the minority). The majority of the biomeds are I have to say the hardest working people I know.

To pull off being a biomed for 3 years is a great feat and I have to give them a pat in the back for doing so.

Wow, I'm pleasantly surprised to see that some people out there have heard of the biomedical sciences students at UCR.

MDhopeful, I know exactly how you feel because some of the outspoken biomeds do act a bit like that. I even took a very similar microbio class last year. I'll reinforce the fact that honest, hard-working premeds do make it through the program.