Did I just lose my chances for med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Paradise_Lost

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let me just preface this by saying that I do have self awareness and know that I am not the nicest person. I am not as altruistic or caring as most people. I don't know why I am this way, but that's just how I always was. What I am certain of is that I have the ability to become a great physician and provide the best care for my patients.

I was recently hinted by one of the schools I applied to that one of my letters was less than flattering which was the main cause for my rejection. I do not know which one and for what reason. I guess I do not come across as hard working or humble enough and I rub people the wrong way. However, I can be quite charming in interviews when I make a conscious effort at it.

Here are my stats:

URM 3.71 cGPA, 3.66 sGPA (could have been higher if I cared)

MCAT taken in 2014 - 39 (12 PS/14 VR/13 BS)

Extensive long term volunteering at a senior center
Extensive involvement in student government in my undergrad
Working as an ER scribe since July 2014

I applied to a pretty conservative list of schools, but now in light of the poor LoR, should I consider DO as well? I want to go to school starting next year nomatter what. Would even osteopathic schools not overlook a damning letter?

Members don't see this ad.

So you havent gotten a single II because of a letter? Is that what you are saying?

Members don't see this ad :)
Either this is a troll post or there is something wrong here if a URM 3.7/39 candidate is not getting any interviews and already getting a number of rejections(yes it's early but URM 3.7/39 candidates are the types med schools of all varieties are begging to snatch).

Reactions: 1 users
Either this is a troll post or there is something wrong here if a URM 3.7/39 candidate is not getting any interviews and already getting a number of rejections(yes it's early but URM 3.7/39 candidates are the types med schools of all varieties are begging to snatch).

Well he or she says it was their letter of recommendation.

@Goro What do you think?

Well between the "charming" interviews, lack of empathy and apparently scathing LOR from someone who knew her, the OP is either a troll or a psychopath/sociopath. In either case, I don't want to give her advice :)

Reactions: 1 users
Well he or she says it was their letter of recommendation.

@Goro What do you think?

90% OP is a troll but if they aren't something is off. I'm assuming this cycle OP is applying so there is still plenty of time left.

Well between the "charming" interviews, lack of empathy and apparently scathing LOR from someone who knew her, the OP is either a troll or a psychopath/sociopath. In either case, I don't want to give her advice :)

90% chance this is a fake troll post anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
What community do you represent? And do not say "Brooklyn".

Why do you think a DO school will overlook a red flag LOR? These are one of the most common causes of outright rejections at my school.

If you were rejected without interviews, it has to be a very damning LOR.

If after the II, then your attitude in the interview was the cause. Most Admissions deans don't want to come out and say "your interview sucked and you had the charm of a tick."

Let me just preface this by saying that I do have self awareness and know that I am not the nicest person. I am not as altruistic or caring as most people. I don't know why I am this way, but that's just how I always was. What I am certain of is that I have the ability to become a great physician and provide the best care for my patients.

I was recently hinted by one of the schools I applied to that one of my letters was less than flattering which was the main cause for my rejection. I do not know which one and for what reason. I guess I do not come across as hard working or humble enough and I rub people the wrong way. However, I can be quite charming in interviews when I make a conscious effort at it.

Here are my stats:

URM 3.71 cGPA, 3.66 sGPA (could have been higher if I cared)

MCAT taken in 2014 - 39 (12 PS/14 VR/13 BS)

Extensive long term volunteering at a senior center
Extensive involvement in student government in my undergrad
Working as an ER scribe since July 2014

I applied to a pretty conservative list of schools, but now in light of the poor LoR, should I consider DO as well? I want to go to school starting next year nomatter what. Would even osteopathic schools not overlook a damning letter?

Reactions: 1 user