Did I underachieve this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think there's a lot of jealousy in this thread that permeates a lot of other SDN threads as well :laugh:

OP, I think everyone understands you're disappointment. One thing to keep in mind is that these schools could fill their class with students that have high GPA/high MCAT/ and the standard volunteer hours+1 year of research. You have to focus on what separates you from the hundreds of other students with that same combination, and perhaps that's why you didn't net as strong as a performance as you hoped for.

Nonetheless, you still have made great progress at some great schools and at this point there's nothing much more you can do about it but wait and see what continues to develop.

Agreed. I think you just didn't do much planning regarding the best way to apply (when to submit stuff... what to write in PS...)

As for the raging comments- ignore them, you did good (hopefully on your own) and you should be proud of that fact.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't understand why every thread started by someone ends up turning into an argument. If you don't agree with the OP and/or you don't like the OP, then simply don't post in the thread. No one is asking you to come in to the thread and make a post that is completely unhelpful and mean.

I'm tired of looking through every single thread on these forums to find them flooded with spiteful/hateful comments; I view threads to find helpful information, but so often there are no posts of value in a thread because it is filled with ridiculous comments that add nothing.

....waiting for "Welcome to the internet" picture or response and/or some ridiculous reply to my post

As long as posters are willing to repeat the same threads over and over and over, there are going to be people who pop in to say "Again? Search." If people would just read around a bit, they wouldn't ask similar questions repetitively, pushing useful threads down or off the first page. Why are posters (I'm not talking at you, OP) free to post the same worthless threads, but "we" aren't allowed to reply with ridicule when they do? Who is it who gets to make those decisions? You?

As long as posters are willing to repeat the same threads over and over and over, there are going to be people who pop in to say "Again? Search." If people would just read around a bit, they wouldn't ask similar questions repetitively, pushing useful threads down or off the first page. Why are posters (I'm not talking at you, OP) free to post the same worthless threads, but "we" aren't allowed to reply with ridicule when they do? Who is it who gets to make those decisions? You?

128973448987019985.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
im gonna say its 95% applying late and 5% boring EC's. it might be 100% applying right, but one of the above posters was right about your EC's.

the OP has been NOTHING but nice in this thread. why did you guys give him trouble? i would make my own thread as well...

im gonna say its 95% applying late and 5% boring EC's. it might be 100% applying right, but one of the above posters was right about your EC's.

the OP has been NOTHING but nice in this thread. why did you guys give him trouble?
tensions can run a bit high this time of year, with people waiting on acceptances, getting their applications ready, etc. for people who are waiting on the first accept, sometimes these kinds of threads might get them riled up. not excusing, just explainin..

I only attended 5 interviews this cycle. U technically have 2X opportunities than I do. Now stop complaining...:scared:

If a person creates a thread that presents a unique situation for their circumstances (i.e. they may have a particular circumstance not explicitly covered in some other thread) then how is that "worthless?"

If a thread is, in fact, inherently "worthless" due to the nature of the content, then there is a simple solution....DON'T post in the thread. The lack of feedback will cause the thread to quickly make it past the first page, where it will likely be forgotten.

If you truly find the thread to be "worthless," then flaming, ridiculing posts do nothing but bring the thread back up to the top of the first page, "pushing useful threads down or off the first page," as you state. Why waste your time and effort "feeding" the "worthless" thread when you can simply ignore it? Most likely, the person will realize the "worthlessness" of their thread and might even stop creating "worthless" threads in the future if they receive no useful responses.

No matter how much you wish people would use the search function or create "non-worthless" threads, these occurrences will always exist due to the ignorance of certain people. Flamers, however, have the chance to put an end to a "worthless" thread by ignoring it.

I don't want to keep arguing in this thread, as it is detracting from the OP's original topic.

Last edited:
If a person creates a thread that presents a unique situation for their circumstances (i.e. they may have a particular circumstance not explicitly covered in some other thread) then how is that "worthless?"

If a thread is, in fact, inherently "worthless" due to the nature of the content, then there is a simple solution....DON'T post in the thread. The lack of feedback will cause the thread to quickly make it past the first page, where it will likely be forgotten.

If you truly find the thread to be "worthless," then flaming, ridiculing posts do nothing but bring the thread back up to the top of the first page, "pushing useful threads down or off the first page," as you state. Why waste your time and effort "feeding" the worthless thread when you can simply ignore it? Most likely, the person will realize the "worthlessness" of their thread and might even stop creating "worthless" threads in the future if they receive no useful responses.

I don't want to keep arguing in this thread, as it is detracting from the OP's original topic.

image.php

Calm down, bro.

Members don't see this ad :)

If you truly find the thread to be "worthless," then flaming, ridiculing posts do nothing but bring the thread back up to the top of the first page, "pushing useful threads down or off the first page," as you state. Why waste your time and effort "feeding" the "worthless" thread when you can simply ignore it? Most likely, the person will realize the "worthlessness" of their thread and might even stop creating "worthless" threads in the future if they receive no useful responses.

No matter how much you wish people would use the search function or create "non-worthless" threads, these occurrences will always exist due to the ignorance of certain people. Flamers, however, have the chance to put an end to a "worthless" thread by ignoring it.

SDN is full of internet bullies. These internet bullies were bullied throughout their lives and finally found a way to lash out.

SDN is full of internet bullies. These internet bullies were bullied throughout their lives and finally found a way to lash out.

Oh my god, I'm having a serious case of deja vu right now.. what the f*** this is weird.

dude, what would your word vs internet picture ratio be. I swear you post more pictures than anyone else I've seen.

Also, looking back, I was a little harsh at the OP so I do apologize. But, that being said, it legitimately bothers me when people with acceptances (not just OP) go around saying "oh man, I only got into X school, I really wanted in to 'list top 10/20 school'". I mean does anyone else not see how ungrateful that sounds? And no I do not agree that simply being academically successful should guarantee you an admissions to med school, that's just my personal belief and I'm sticking to it.

Last edited:
dude, what would your word vs internet picture ratio be. I swear you post more pictures than anyone else I've seen.

You just gave him the green light to post another picture.

You just gave him the green light to post another picture.

It's been a good day for pictures. I like them because they keep it light hearted when everyone wants to have serious freaking arguments, condemn everyone else's morals and motives, and self-congratulate.

I considered posting pictures only today (I am not kidding), now I'm glad I decided against it. Not trying to annoy anyone, just in it for the lolz.

Although...if this explanation disappoints, I will gladly reply in jpeg format.

OP, it sounds to me like you have some good reasons to feel a little upset. This process is strange. Personally, I got some interviews that I never expected to get, but was rejected by schools that I felt like I was a perfect fit for (at this point, both pre- and post-interview). We never really know what they want.

It's been a good day for pictures. I like them because they keep it light hearted when everyone wants to have serious freaking arguments, condemn everyone else's morals and motives, and self-congratulate.

I considered posting pictures only today (I am not kidding), now I'm glad I decided against it. Not trying to annoy anyone, just in it for the lolz.

Although...if this explanation disappoints, I will gladly reply in jpeg format.

Hey, I'm not saying it's a bad thing just that it's hilarious. Some of those pics are pretty money though.

Also, looking back, I was a little harsh at the OP so I do apologize. But, that being said, it legitimately bothers me when people with acceptances (not just OP) go around saying "oh man, I only got into X school, I really wanted in to 'list top 10/20 school'". I mean does anyone else not see how ungrateful that sounds? And no I do not agree that simply being academically successful should guarantee you an admissions to med school, that's just my personal belief and I'm sticking to it.

Ungrateful? It's not like they have any of the people without acceptances to thank.

I think it's perfectly ordinary for someone who has rigorously prepared and excelled in making themself a "strong" applicant to ask what went wrong when everything doesn't pan out.

Trust me OP, I understand your pain.
3.8GPA, 36MCAT, solid ECs -
7 interviews: Emory, UCSD, BU, OHSU, Carver, Einstein, UofA.
so far all I have to show for it is one waitlist, one final pool, and one deferment. There is only one wave of acceptances left at UofA and Emory, so those aren't too likely either. Starting to feel pretty bad, let me tell you :(

Trust me OP, I understand your pain.
3.8GPA, 36MCAT, solid ECs -
7 interviews: Emory, UCSD, BU, OHSU, Carver, Einstein, UofA.
so far all I have to show for it is one waitlist, one final pool, and one deferment. There is only one wave of acceptances left at UofA and Emory, so those aren't too likely either. Starting to feel pretty bad, let me tell you :(

regardless of you getting in this yr or not, practice your interviewing skills man!! even with an acceptance now, you'll have to go through residency interviews in 4 yrs.

best of luck though. only 1 deferment, so 6 schools that you have a shot at. come back and bump this thread when you get in :)

To the OP: my feeling is that you didn't underachieve, at least not in terms of the number of interviews you recieved. If you look at applicants to tops schools on this board you'll see that a 25% interview rate at top schools is actuallly pretty good. If you underacheived in anything, it was probably at your interviews: you have a pretty high interview to acceptance ratio. So I guess the lesson to take from this is, before you interview for residency, make sure you've done a ton of mock interviews and that you've gotten positive feedback on your approach.

Bringing an attitude of entitlement to an interview is exactly the kind of approach that will get one a high interview/acceptance ratio.

Not trying to be mean, just saying. It's true. I know people who were rejected for this reason.

Last edited:
Granted, I haven't applied yet, but looking from a literature/comprehension point of view: I think your PS's focus could have been shifted a little bit to better answer the "why doctor" question. Instead of just a comparison of how your "soft skills" will help you become a better doctor, you could have focused on how learning how these types of things affected people motivated you to become a doctor more because you have realized (through shadowing/clinical experience/etc) that they are just as important to the dr/patient relationship as the actual diagnosis and the personal connection is part of what drives you to medicine (vs. say "I like science" --> why not research?).

Otherwise I think a lot of it is just chance. You've gotten some great acceptances already.

I'm a little surprised by the feedback about the PS. Is it really necessary to write an essay about "Why I want to be a doctor?"

I ask because according to this site: http://www.studentdoctor.net/2007/06/before-you-write-your-personal-statement-read-this/ and my premed advisers, an essay about "Why I am a qualified person" is fine too.

My sister is applying in a little over a year so I'd like to be able to give her some good advice. The first of which will be APPLY EARLY.

Yo, I wasn't being hostile, I was asking him a question cause I was curious. A lot of his post have been mostly pics. Why don't YOU lighten up some huh? :smuggrin:

Alright then bro!

Let's go wrestle in the mud!:D

I'm a little surprised by the feedback about the PS. Is it really necessary to write an essay about "Why I want to be a doctor?"

what's the first Theme listed on that link?

you gotta address the prompt, tiger. it doesn't ALL have to be ONLY about it, but you need to answer the question. yours is pretty tangential.

your M in writing is probably a result of the same issue.

what's the first Theme listed on that link?

you gotta address the prompt, tiger. it doesn't ALL have to be ONLY about it, but you need to answer the question. yours is pretty tangential.

your M in writing is probably a result of the same issue.

definitely a good point.

i feel like i am an absolutely terrible writer, just followed the prompt exactly and got an R.

anyways, if anything this process has showed me is how incredible some other applicants are. i had some interviews at pretty good schools, and just talking to some of my fellow interviewees, it was really surprising to see some of the accomplishments they had. i also was humbled in this process.

Random picture time...

29gorvp.jpg

Cigar-Guy-Tiger-Woods-Ryder-Cup-photo-HEADER.jpg

Haha, I remember this one. Epic.

I think some users miss why other members post rather harsh remarks. There are several reasons such as 1) like bleargh said, people are stressed whether it's application or studying for MCAT so it's easier to criticize than explain, 2) not everybody who asks questions comes back, 3) not everybody who receives good responses takes to the heart, 4) not everybody is honest about what they say, 5) it's fun to poke fun at people's laziness to ask simple questions, etc... All mostly due to the fact that these are premeds, and some premeds are still stuck in the idea that they are the best at everything... so harsh remarks are better than sugary cookies.

I kinda felt a little bit like that too.
However, I heard back from my top choices, and flat out rejected from schools like NYMC, etc... It was so weird.

Just be happy you don't need to do this again. Hooray!