Did something really stupid, need advice on what to do now please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FroggerMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I did something stupid, but hopefully it can be rectified.

I recently started an application for a medical license in a notoriously strict state. I have medical licenses in good standing in two other states, no disciplinary actions or arrests or anything like that. I do however have two malpractice cases, one is closed and I was dismissed; the other is pending (but is pretty minor, with very questionable actual liability on my part). Ok. However, a few years ago, I was also served a notice that I was being sued (as one of multiple C.O.-defendants) on a case from a hosptial I had worked as some years back. I spoke to the lawyer and he got me dismissed. This was a few years ago.

So, I’m applying for this medical license and I guess I got spooked about having so many cases (3!!) and that I would be denied a license because of it. So I chose to exclude that one hospital from my work history and also the case. I listed all my other hospitals (I worked at another one at the same time as that one, so there’s no work gap) and the two medmal cases.

The state sent me pretty routine paperwork and a request for some addendums (routine stuff - clarification of a few dates, my hair color (?), etc). I have not yet sent the compelted addendums back. But I’m definitely feeling paranoid and regretful for ommiting that other information in the first place.

What should I do? I figure my options are:

(A) Add that other hospital and the malpractice case to the application as an addendum. If I do this - should I call the board to let them know? Should I write a note explaining why I left it out (can just say I forgot etc?) or just add it without any note?

(B) Do nothing and pray they don’t find out (this isn’t a good option, I realize that, just putting it out here)

(C) Withdraw my application and forget this ever happened, and just never plan on working in this state. I’m considering this because I’m afraid that they’ll reject my license application either because of the three lawsuits, or because I originally left out the hospital info.

Advice please! Feeling incredibly stressed.

Members don't see this ad.

Notify them. Everyone gets sued, but you shouldn't lie or be deceptive about it.

Have you queried the National Practitioner Data Bank? Even dropped litigation often gets reported. Not saying that it was, but if it's on your record and you don't disclose it, you will not only jeopardize the license you're applying to, but it could affect your other licenses as well. If you deceive most medical boards, they will report that to other medical boards.

I would notify them and tell them because you were dropped so early and it was so long ago that it had slipped your mind. Your number of suits shouldn't be concerning to most board members since you were dropped from 2 of them.

If you were dismissed prior to deposition, then make sure you state that. That will show that the plaintiff's claims were frivolous against you and you were dropped prior to even getting your side of the story.

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks... yes, nothing on the NPDB. I’m thinking I should just include it as an addendum (I’m sending five other addendums)? Saying something like, “accidentally omitted XYZ hospital” and then provide the information about the hospital and below that, briefly about the case, and have the lawyer from the case send them a letter with the dismissal?

Members don't see this ad :)
You could do that. If it's not in the NPDB, then they likely will not find out about it unless the state where it was filed has a database of all litigation. If that is the case and they report it, but you didn't report it, then your fate is sealed and your other licenses could be in jeopardy.

Reactions: 1 user
What if I just withdraw the application entirely? The hospital in that state where I was going to work is not one I’m interested in any longer. I have another job in my current state that I’m happy with. Maybe I can just withdraw my application, stating that as the reason, and not worry about it?

Tell the truth with an addendum, or withdraw entirely if no longer interested in working in that particular state.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.