Did Warren Alpbert Brown just change their secondary essay question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JLeBling

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is regarding the BROWN UNIVERSITY SECONDARY ESSAY

I spent the better part of my day writing awesome essays answering these two questions that I copy pasted into a word document yesterday:

(1) Imagine that you are approached by a multibillionaire philanthropist who wants to donate a substantial fund of money to a single project with the goal of "fixing the US healthcare system." He/she asks for your expert opinion on what project this money should go towards; what would you advise and why? (2000 characters)

(2) Often when we talk about medicine, we focus on the individual physician-patient relationship. Why should medical schools train future physicians to care for communities and populations as a whole, and not just individual patients? (2000 characters)

Right? So I log back in this afternoon and now all of a sudden those two questions no longer appear and this is what I see:

(1) What are your aspirations for your medical practice? Fast-forward to 15 years in the future: where do you imagine yourself? (3000 characters)

WHAT THE HELL YO? Is this some sort of prank or something?

Members don't see this ad.

I never saw the first question. The questions I answered were:

1) Summarize your activities during the 2014-2015 academic year. Describe how your activities are preparing you for a medical career.
2) How will your unique attributes (e.g., cultural or socioeconomic background, lifestyle, work experiences) add to the overall diversity of the Alpert Medical School community?
3) What are your aspirations for your medical practice? Fast-forward to 15 years in the future: where do you imagine yourself?

Oh I see what happened... I accidentally selected the combined MD-ScM program... lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright... Now I have this amazing essay that I don't want to waste. But I'm not sure if I want to apply to the combined program... I'm happy with just a plain vanilla MD. Does anybody know if applying to the MD-ScM program excludes you from applying the the regular MD program?

Last edited:
Alright... Now I have this amazing essay that I don't want to waste. But I'm not sure if I want to apply to the combined program... I'm happy with just want a plain vanilla MD. Does anybody know if applying to the MD-ScM program excludes you from applying the the regular MD program?
Did you specify on your AMCAS application that you were applying as MD? I'm sure you'll find some uses for your amazing essay. Maybe it will even come up in an interview.
BTW, I hope you're aware that Brown fills most of its class from their UG.

lmfao you're going to change your program because of a technicality? Sheesh well if that's all it takes for you to not get an MD...

Did you specify on your AMCAS application that you were applying as MD? I'm sure you'll find some uses for your amazing essay. Maybe it will even come up in an interview.

I am from a non-Ivy and got an II! It can be done! :)

Good luck OP! I agree with @ThisCouldBeYou -- might be good interview material.

To answer my own question if anybody else runs into this problem

Q: If I apply to the MD-ScM program, will it exclude me from being considered for the Regular MD program?

A: No. In fact, applicants are first offered admission to the Regular MD program. Admissions decisions for the MD-ScM program will occur in March 2015 after the initial admission offer to the Regular MD program has been made.

About half the members of Brown's medical school class are part if their 8 year BS/MD program. The rest of their class is filled normally through AMCAS and they explicitly do not want their own undergrads for that.

The misconception about Brown's admittance preferences is repeated and nauseum on these boards and it is 100% not true.

About half the members of Brown's medical school class are part if their 8 year BS/MD program. The rest of their class is filled normally through AMCAS and they explicitly do not want their own undergrads for that.

The misconception about Brown's admittance preferences is repeated and nauseum on these boards and it is 100% not true.

For this past year, only ~40 of the 120 students in the entering class came from the BS/MD program. So only a third! I agree with the rest of your post :)

Posted using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
For this past year, only ~40 of the 120 students in the entering class came from the BS/MD program. So only a third! I agree with the rest of your post :)

Posted using SDN Mobile

Interesting. There'd been talk of them scaling back the program for a long time, guess they're finally moving more definitely on that.

Reactions: 1 users
This is regarding the BROWN UNIVERSITY SECONDARY ESSAY

I spent the better part of my day writing awesome essays answering these two questions that I copy pasted into a word document yesterday:

(1) Imagine that you are approached by a multibillionaire philanthropist who wants to donate a substantial fund of money to a single project with the goal of "fixing the US healthcare system." He/she asks for your expert opinion on what project this money should go towards; what would you advise and why? (2000 characters)

(2) Often when we talk about medicine, we focus on the individual physician-patient relationship. Why should medical schools train future physicians to care for communities and populations as a whole, and not just individual patients? (2000 characters)

Right? So I log back in this afternoon and now all of a sudden those two questions no longer appear and this is what I see:

(1) What are your aspirations for your medical practice? Fast-forward to 15 years in the future: where do you imagine yourself? (3000 characters)

WHAT THE HELL YO? Is this some sort of prank or something?
That's bc Obamacare directly impacts how healthcare will be administered in this country.

Posted using SDN Mobile
Why are they cutting back on PLME students?

Nothing. Obamacare will impact how healthcare is administered with so-called "team based care" - hence the question prompt.

Which one? I read through all the prompts and couldn't really see where that fit into anything. Unless you're being a fatalist here.

Which one? I read through all the prompts and couldn't really see where that fit into anything. Unless you're being a fatalist here.
Try to read better before accusing someone of "smoking" something: "(2) Often when we talk about medicine, we focus on the individual physician-patient relationship. Why should medical schools train future physicians to care for communities and populations as a whole, and not just individual patients? (2000 characters)"

It's a change in the patient-physician relationship spurred by healthcare reform in which docs are responsible for populations, not individuals.

Try to read better before accusing someone of "smoking" something: "(2) Often when we talk about medicine, we focus on the individual physician-patient relationship. Why should medical schools train future physicians to care for communities and populations as a whole, and not just individual patients? (2000 characters)"

It's a change in the patient-physician relationship spurred by healthcare reform in which docs are responsible for populations, not individuals.

That's a very specific reading of the question, which could be answered incredibly well without even mentioning the ACA. You can just read that as a health disparities question as well and talk about health inequality. I wouldn't talk about the ACA in that question at all.

Do you know the ScM program at this school? It focuses on health policy, research, and education at a population level. You can talk about myriad other things rather than talking about the ACA.

http://brown.edu/academics/medical/education/other-programs/primary-care-population-medicine/

Why are they cutting back on PLME students?

No idea. If they say anything about it at my interview day, I could let you know. Sorry for not being more helpful!!

Posted using SDN Mobile