MD Did worse on Step 2 CK than Step 1, should I release my score or wait until after interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jgold16

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is consensus about releasing Step 2 CK score at this point? A brief overall bio: Step 1 - 258, Step 2 CK - 246, MD/PhD, Senior AOA, AMG. I am applying to IM programs. So far received interviews at all my top choices, except one program. My concern is that the CK score is significantly lower than my step 1 score. On one hand, I don't want it brought up at interviews that I already have. On the other hand, having a passing score recorded, albeit lower than step 1, could help get more interviews. Overall, I have great interviews. But, I am waiting to hear back from a program that I believe wants a Step 2 score for interview invites. I just don't want it to jeopardize interviews I already have. What do you think? Thanks for any insight guys!

Members don't see this ad.

What is consensus about releasing Step 2 CK score at this point? A brief overall bio: Step 1 - 258, Step 2 CK - 246, MD/PhD, Senior AOA, AMG. I am applying to IM programs. So far received interviews at all my top choices, except one program. My concern is that the CK score is significantly lower than my step 1 score. On one hand, I don't want it brought up at interviews that I already have. On the other hand, having a passing score recorded, albeit lower than step 1, could help get more interviews. Overall, I have great interviews. But, I am waiting to hear back from a program that I believe wants a Step 2 score for interview invites. I just don't want it to jeopardize interviews I already have. What do you think? Thanks for any insight guys!

Release, you have way too much other stuff going for you where a CK score's going to affect you (senior AOA and hence Honoring IM, PhD, Step 1). At this point, delaying it is only going to turn schools off that you still have to take it.

Last edited:
I would not worry about delaying, especially given your PhD (what was it in?). I think releasing will actually alleviate any anxieties the program(s) might have. And, yes, sometimes people raise concerns about CK/CS with MD/PhDs, but again, with that score, I think you'll be just fine... And, yes, you could get a question regarding the lower score from an interviewer, but that may (will probably) be just something they ask because they are interested to hear your explanation more than they necessarily care that the score is lower. I suppose there a few true, old school, hardasses out there, though.

Also, think about what the selection process for whatever school you attend is for their AOA...

The OP must be a troll.

Reactions: 1 user