Did you do anything for your evaluators?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meadow36

UF CVM 2013
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of sending flowers or those edible arrangements. Did anyone else send anything? I'm broke but I wanted to do something nice.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you card is the way to go, anything more is excessive, IMO.

I second the thank you cards and was careful to keep them updated throughout the year.

Good Luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
IMO, I think it depends on the relationship and how long you've been aquainted. Ive known all my evaluators for 5-7 years and have worked closely with them. Im giving personalized stationary (notecards) with the topcard signed with a thankyou and maybe a pen-depending on cost). If you do give more than a thankyou card, I dont think it should be anything extravagant, else it looks a little like bribery.
I second keeping them informed. All my LOR are just as anxious as me each year to hear any news. I usually do that verbally or via email.

Last edited:
I did thank-you notes plus a little gift- homemade cookies for one, a small plant for another, a knitted thing for another, etc.

I did edible fruit arrangements for my evaluators. I don't think it is bribery, considering that their eLors are already in. I might have a slightly unusual situation though; my evaluators are across 3 states and I haven't seen one in 7 years, the other in since Hurricane Rita, and the third I work for now. I sent a thank you card expressing my gratitude for the time, energy, and effort they put into completing the eLor with the arrangement, along with some more recent photos of some of my adventures (search/rescue, SCUBA, marine mammal stranding network.) In turn I have received pics of kids and spouses, updates on research and programs, and information on old friends.

Oh, and my boss shared her arrangement for the entire office (I think the Saturday morning coffee & bagels would be more of a bribe!) When I was in school and profs were giving me references, I did thank you notes and cookies or candies.

I see all of mine on a daily basis so didn't really think much of sending them anything. So 2 of them got thank you's after they were done and the third got a thank you and the bill for an ER visit. (he was a bit less than pleased)

the third got a thank you and the bill for an ER visit. (he was a bit less than pleased)

Story! :)

And I sent my college LOR writers a thank you card and a coupon to a local eatery.

And I sent my college LOR writers a thank you card and a coupon to a local eatery.

I hope by coupon you meant gift certificate! Lol. I agree with the need for an explanation from dirtyhippy!

I sent thank you cards but I considered edible arrangements (but they were expensive and I'm poor)

Nothing fun on my part really, my eLOR writer was my boss. I had gotten bit by a cat. Cleaned it up well and though nothing of it until 12 hours later when I realized the redness around the bite was definitely spreading. ~$700 to have a hand looked at and them write a script.

Thank goodness I've been covered by worker's comp - I would have freaked if I got that bill!

Oh, it is being covered by workmans comp. I just got the bills first before they get forwarded to the insurance company. Its a small business and everything gets paid for somewhere. It was really awkward coming into work Monday morning to tell my boss I had to go to the ER Saturday night.

Well it's good that it's being taken care of! I know what you mean about awkward - I thought it was awkward enough telling the vet I got bit in the first place!

It all happened on a Saturday when the owner doesn't normally work. So the conversation on Monday was something like "I got bit.... and it got infected.... so don't be surprised if the hospital calls looking for billing information".

This was a few weeks ago and all turned out fine. 10 days on clavamox(augmentin) and life goes on.

I got some dog and cat bookends for them (depending on what they had at home) and I got my adviser a small horse clock because she had all kinds of horse pieces around her office.

I just did thank you notes. I work in the same hospital as all of them so I think anything else would have been awkward. But I thought a thank you note was all that was needed anyway. If I get in somewhere, I might bake them something like banana bread or brownies.

I was thinking of sending flowers or those edible arrangements. Did anyone else send anything? I'm broke but I wanted to do something nice.

I've written zillions and they're hard work. I really like the card. Acknowledges the work put into the letter. Bakes goods are great but totally optional (don't burn the cookies).. anything more makes me uncomfortable.

Doing nothing is rude.

Burn the cookies?! A pox on your words, FotW! :p I agree that doing more than a note would make me uncomfortable as well. I bake all the time and bring cookies and stuff into work anyway, so I figure that if I get in (CROSSING FINGERS...SENDING OUT GOOD JUJU VIBES!), bringing in something for everyone and then a little package on the side for the evaluators, (to me) seems like an acknowledgement without going over the top.

FlyontheWall, if you write me a LoR for next year, i'd happily throw in the new AC/DC album :)

Love the avatar!

Okay....I am feeling extremely guilty and uneasy right now. Two of my letters I got from faculties, but then I graduated several days after. I kept thinking that I'd send them Thank you cards around Thanksgiving 'cause at that time (actually now) I would be back in Taiwan and have tons of free time. I just thought it was cool to send cards from out of the country....but now to think of it, maybe it's too late to show my gratitude....?:(
It's definitely not my intention to be rude. I did give my third evaluator (my boss) a small gift since I got the letter before I left the country. During summer I was so busy with application and work that I did not think about this...the timing I mean. I feel so stupid.

I don't think it is ever too late to show gratitude! Anyway, you can always say something like "now that applications are all in..." or "now that I am back home, I just wanted to again express my gratitude..."

A late "thank you" is better than no "thank you"!!