didn't realize how much I would enjoy FM rotation! =)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oreosandsake

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
FM gets bashed a lot.

People really do not give FP docs enough credit. being a Jack/Jane of all trades is definitely not easy.

since IM and FP get clumped together all the time, and I could not see myself being an internist, I had always had FM low on my list.

But now that I'm on outpt FP rotation I'm really enjoying it. I think it's fun going to pull a chart and not knowing what to expect.

Members don't see this ad.

FM gets bashed a lot.

Not here!

People really do not give FP docs enough credit. being a Jack/Jane of all trades is definitely not easy.

True, true, true.

since IM and FP get clumped together all the time, and I could not see myself being an internist, I had always had FM low on my list.

But now that I'm on outpt FP rotation I'm really enjoying it. I think it's fun going to pull a chart and not knowing what to expect.

You wouldn't be the first unlikely convert...nor will you be the last! Welcome!

:)

I feel I'm going to cross over to FM too ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
FM gets bashed a lot.

well you know, its politics, and the level of moderation on individual forums. It is next to impossible to properly moderate these forums, plus please keep in mind that it is a free site, and mods dont get paid anything for their service. I would take that as tremendous charity work. Hopefully they get credit to deal with everyone's temper tantrums. I think that it takes alot of work to be a moderator on these boards.

Last edited:
""I'm not surprised that you're "shocked".

BTW, it is, uhhhh, the number one thread, numbers speaking, on the Family Medicine Forum. I'm sure you're aware of that.

Judging from your denial despite objective data trumping your opinion, I'd say *you* are the one with reality issues.""

coming from an assistant moderator, let me just state that I am shocked by your reply to me first of all.

no no no you misunderstand. I do not have a problem with moderation, or moderators, so let me rephrase that -- my bad. Mods are doing a great job -- outstanding actually, judging things fairly and as objective as possible, which is extremely hard in my opinion.
This is a free site, also, mods are working so hard and not getting paid anything to do it. For a free service to all, that want to learn things from these forums, I would say that it is quite quite well appreciated by me, and should be by other members of the forums here.
It is the level of maturity, and bashing, as you are currently bashing me for no apparent reason. I truly have no idea Jet, why you continually want to fight me and others on these forums, and I am greatly disappointed. In the past, you have run back to the Anesthesia forum after bashing people here, and somehow bragged about it.
This is very very odd behavior for a medical professional.
I dont get it, what exactly do you get out of it?
I do not at all appreciate it, then again, who knows what exactly is going on with you, that you continually need to bash me and others here. I wont go into detail, its obvious just read your inflammatory posts, you even admit that you are inflammatory here. What do you get out of it exactly though Jet? Some sort of peace of mind for bashing people that did absolutely nothing to you? It just makes no sense at all to me, why you are continually here fighting with people. Why me exactly though? Why did you single me out?
No I will absolutely not continue with your fight here, you are on your own. I know that you really really want me to respond, but no I will not.
Why? Because I have already proven my point.
I dont have any reality issues Jet, and would love it if you pointed these deficiencies out to me.
I am sorry truly that you are so angry, I have no idea why.

Reality is, that I am compensated very well, over $200,000 yearly, plus bonuses, and more shifts if I choose to work more.

Reality is, that I get close to half the year off, and half the month off every month.

Reality is, that I love what I do. Getting paid very well to practice medicine the best way possible in my opinion, for me at least. I dont have to work crazy hours, and I do not have to wake up early every day.

Reality is, that I get to go home usually at 2 or 3 pm each and every single day, other than admitting days. I start work at approximately 8 a.m. daily.

Reality is, that I get to have a life, with work.

Reality is, that I get to be my own boss when I am admitting or rounding. I can choose when to round, and who really needs to be admitted into the hospital.

Reality is, that I will never have to be on call again for the rest of my life if I choose.

So whats the reality issue here JetProp? Other than the fact that you are clearly not an advocate of primary care, and family medicine. I stated nothing at all, to disregard your specialty, let alone any specialty. Why are you continually fighting here? What is the point of it?

I say live, and let live. I did nothing at all to disregard or disrespect you, but you come at me at all possible angles to argue with you. I won't do it.

I won't deny that your inflammatory thread disrespecting Family Medicine has alot of hits, it has tons of hits. Are you proud of it or something like that? Actually enjoying and marvelling it, like it is some accomlishment stating that Primary Care docs are "Philanthropic" individuals interested in actually helping people??
I am shocked by your response. It is quite disappointing honestly.
Physicians should be backing one another, not hating on them constantly.

Last edited:
Someone got their peanut butter jelly sandwiches with the crust cut off taken away from them at lunch time........... My friend, you will always come across people like this. Don't you ever wonder where these jerk off residents or attendings come from...you know the ones I'm talking about. These guys always have a chip on their shoulders and always will. They are most likely weak in this world and it is very frustrating to them. People make a decision while in rotations about these jerks....they decide either to never be like them or to take out their anger when they have that authority. Just go on about your business and feel sorry for these people. They are lonely and frightened and will never be able to enjoy what this career can really bring. Tally-Ho!

Someone got their peanut butter jelly sandwiches with the crust cut off taken away from them at lunch time........... My friend, you will always come across people like this. Don't you ever wonder where these jerk off residents or attendings come from...you know the ones I'm talking about. These guys always have a chip on their shoulders and always will. They are most likely weak in this world and it is very frustrating to them. People make a decision while in rotations about these jerks....they decide either to never be like them or to take out their anger when they have that authority. Just go on about your business and feel sorry for these people. They are lonely and frightened and will never be able to enjoy what this career can really bring. Tally-Ho!

frustrating though, and disappointing. Because the truth is so obscured. Then again, hey you are correct, maybe this is life. Unhappiness is what it all comes down to.

""I'm not surprised that you're "shocked".

BTW, it is, uhhhh, the number one thread, numbers speaking, on the Family Medicine Forum. I'm sure you're aware of that.

Judging from your denial despite objective data trumping your opinion, I'd say *you* are the one with reality issues.""

coming from an assistant moderator, let me just state that I am shocked by your reply to me first of all.

no no no you misunderstand. I do not have a problem with moderation, or moderators, so let me rephrase that -- my bad. Mods are doing a great job -- outstanding actually, judging things fairly and as objective as possible, which is extremely hard in my opinion.
This is a free site, also, mods are working so hard and not getting paid anything to do it. For a free service to all, that want to learn things from these forums, I would say that it is quite quite well appreciated by me, and should be by other members of the forums here.
It is the level of maturity, and bashing, as you are currently bashing me for no apparent reason. I truly have no idea Jet, why you continually want to fight me and others on these forums, and I am greatly disappointed. In the past, you have run back to the Anesthesia forum after bashing people here, and somehow bragged about it.
This is very very odd behavior for a medical professional.
I dont get it, what exactly do you get out of it?
I do not at all appreciate it, then again, who knows what exactly is going on with you, that you continually need to bash me and others here. I wont go into detail, its obvious just read your inflammatory posts, you even admit that you are inflammatory here. What do you get out of it exactly though Jet? Some sort of peace of mind for bashing people that did absolutely nothing to you? It just makes no sense at all to me, why you are continually here fighting with people. Why me exactly though? Why did you single me out?
No I will absolutely not continue with your fight here, you are on your own. I know that you really really want me to respond, but no I will not.
Why? Because I have already proven my point.
I dont have any reality issues Jet, and would love it if you pointed these deficiencies out to me.
I am sorry truly that you are so angry, I have no idea why.

Reality is, that I am compensated very well, over $200,000 yearly, plus bonuses, and more shifts if I choose to work more.

Reality is, that I get close to half the year off, and half the month off every month.

Reality is, that I love what I do. Getting paid very well to practice medicine the best way possible in my opinion, for me at least. I dont have to work crazy hours, and I do not have to wake up early every day.

Reality is, that I get to go home usually at 2 or 3 pm each and every single day, other than admitting days. I start work at approximately 8 a.m. daily.

Reality is, that I get to have a life, with work.

Reality is, that I get to be my own boss when I am admitting or rounding. I can choose when to round, and who really needs to be admitted into the hospital.

Reality is, that I will never have to be on call again for the rest of my life if I choose.

So whats the reality issue here JetProp? Other than the fact that you are clearly not an advocate of primary care, and family medicine. I stated nothing at all, to disregard your specialty, let alone any specialty. Why are you continually fighting here? What is the point of it?

I say live, and let live. I did nothing at all to disregard or disrespect you, but you come at me at all possible angles to argue with you. I won't do it.

I won't deny that your inflammatory thread disrespecting Family Medicine has alot of hits, it has tons of hits. Are you proud of it or something like that? Actually enjoying and marvelling it, like it is some accomlishment stating that Primary Care docs are "Philanthropic" individuals interested in actually helping people??
I am shocked by your response. It is quite disappointing honestly.
Physicians should be backing one another, not hating on them constantly.

I wasnt "singling" you out. I was responding to your post of how you're "shocked" the thread is still in existence.

Whatever, Dude.

Maybe you should page thru the big thread again so you can report my stance accurately instead of distorting my stance and prosing assumptions you've made about me.

Maybe you should look at the match numbers and the national media again....and take your head outta the sand.

Its unfortunate you saw my post as inflammatory to Family Medicine. If you review the thread you'll be hard-fetched to find a post where I was insulting to the profession and its doctors, unless you count the fact that I find it insulting to come outta med school with 200K in student loans and, well, you remember the thread.

Regardless of your opinion I'm still glad it brought attention to how med students are "guided" by their debt load.

Youre sorry I'm angry? You really think I'm angry?

Wow.

You really do have your head in the sand.

I wasnt "singling" you out. I was responding to your post of how you're "shocked" the thread is still in existence.

Whatever, Dude.

Maybe you should page thru the big thread again so you can report my stance accurately instead of distorting my stance and prosing assumptions you've made about me.

Maybe you should look at the match numbers and the national media again....and take your head outta the sand.

Its unfortunate you saw my post as inflammatory to Family Medicine. If you review the thread you'll be hard-fetched to find a post where I was insulting to the profession and its doctors, unless you count the fact that I find it insulting to come outta med school with 200K in student loans and, well, you remember the thread.

Regardless of your opinion I'm still glad it brought attention to how med students are "guided" by their debt load.

Youre sorry I'm angry? You really think I'm angry?

Wow.

You really do have your head in the sand.

yet another desperate attempt at an inflammatory war. No my "head is not in the sand"
What exactly is the benefit that you obtain out of posting here, and continually trying to start fights.
You are not posting anything productive, can't you speak reasonably?
Again, I ask you to please point out anything wrong with my current gig, and I will thank you profusely.
Is there anything wrong with having half the year off, and making over $200,000 dollars, please tell me how that is assuming anything, and how I am in denial -- working 30-45 hours per week. Lol.
Man its crazy. Then again, I just feel sorry for you.
Who cares about match statistics, when it is obvious that you are so desperately unhappy. Why would you take your time, and continually come to this forum, acting like some 'savior'? When your only objective is to belittle primary care.
Answer me this JetProp and we will be cool.
How am I in denial?
Your stance is clearly to belittle primary care at any desperate means possible. You have spent countless hours here, insulting members. Yet you try and pose as some rep that is supposed to be supporting primary care.
I dont care. Regardless, I refuse to join your flame war attempt.
So you can continue your desperate attempts at "trumping my opinion" lol because I will not play with you....
You can play by yourself! Have fun...
It all comes down to being happy. You are obviously unhappy with your current situation, I have no idea why, and that is why you are continually here.
This is a serious waste of forum space, if you have anything in particular to say -- FACTS and not hatred, accusations, please p.m. me otherwise stop wasting the forum space, out of respect to the forum moderators, the readers, and myself. You don't even have to respect me, just respect the webspace dude.

Last edited:
Ugh. At it again, I see.

I love the traffic through this thread, but people, pu-leeze.

Jet - we get it. You've made your point. Cogent to some, spurious to others. Let it go, please. You are in the family medicine forum, where true believers DO exist (your points notwithstanding). Hit the allo and osteo forums if you're really wanting to influence the MS'ers.

I don't know what goes in to killing a thread, but guess I am some version of a moderator, which means I might actually be capable of shuttling this one to the archives. If the back-and-forth continues - miles removed from the actual topic - and if the same freaking points on the topic keep getting posted, I'm gonna push to shut this one down. I suspect my mod-in-arms Sophie will back me, too.

Repetition is so med school. Be original or please, or try another forum.

Yawn. Seriously, dude. We get it. FM sucks. Anesthesia rules. You're smart. We're clueless. I get so bored with SDN sometimes.

Ugh. At it again, I see.

Jet - we get it. You've made your point. Cogent to some, spurious to others. Let it go, please. You are in the family medicine forum, where true believers DO exist (your points notwithstanding). Hit the allo and osteo forums if you're really wanting to influence the MS'ers.

I don't know what goes in to killing a thread, but guess I am some version of a moderator, which means I might actually be capable of shuttling this one to the archives. If the back-and-forth continues - miles removed from the actual topic - and if the same freaking points on the topic keep getting posted, I'm gonna push to shut this one down. I suspect my mod-in-arms Sophie will back me, too.

thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yawn. Seriously, dude. We get it. FM sucks. Anesthesia rules. You're smart. We're clueless. I get so bored with SDN sometimes.

I'd agree with you...but I'm too busy :sleep:ing

FM gets bashed a lot.

Well I'm glad you like it. There're pros and cons, like any other specialty; and at the end of the day, it's just a job. But it's always nice to like what you're doing.

FP gets bashed a lot, but so does psych, PM&R, IM, Peds, OB/Gyn, anesthesia, pathology, surgery, ortho, neurology, derm, rads, plastics, ER, ENT, Cards, GI, allergy, ID, pulm, nephro, uro, rad-onc, hospice, rheum...

NP, PA, CRNA, midwives...

Janitors, CEOs, nurses, techs, insurance companies, lawyers, patients, politicians...

Everyone gets bashed. You can be walking down the street, minding your own business, and pow! Somebody's got something to say about someone. And all you're trying to do is find a job, pay your bills, and get on with your day. The only person who doesn't get bad-mouthed in the hospital is the Chaplain.

All this trash talking makes my ears bleed. All this negativity. Whatever. What goes around comes around.

Medicine is incredibly humbling. You can be the smartest, richest, best doctor ever, brag about it and then kablam! Something bad happens and it all gets taken away from you.

well, I'm at the half way mark for this rotation and I'm still enjoying it.

I wasn't expecting things to get so 'festive' in this thread... :eek:

sometimes I wonder if there is something wrong with me seeing the reaction I get from people when I tell them I am interested in the most "bashed" fields out there... PM&R, FM and gasp, even psychiatry.

sometimes I wonder if there is something wrong with me seeing the reaction I get from people when I tell them I am interested in the most "bashed" fields out there... PM&R, FM and gasp, even psychiatry.

Good thing you didn't go into law.

Well I'm glad you like it. There're pros and cons, like any other specialty; and at the end of the day, it's just a job. But it's always nice to like what you're doing.

FP gets bashed a lot, but so does psych, PM&R, IM, Peds, OB/Gyn, anesthesia, pathology, surgery, ortho, neurology, derm, rads, plastics, ER, ENT, Cards, GI, allergy, ID, pulm, nephro, uro, rad-onc, hospice, rheum...

NP, PA, CRNA, midwives...

Janitors, CEOs, nurses, techs, insurance companies, lawyers, patients, politicians...

Everyone gets bashed. You can be walking down the street, minding your own business, and pow! Somebody's got something to say about someone. And all you're trying to do is find a job, pay your bills, and get on with your day. The only person who doesn't get bad-mouthed in the hospital is the Chaplain.

All this trash talking makes my ears bleed. All this negativity. Whatever. What goes around comes around.

Medicine is incredibly humbling. You can be the smartest, richest, best doctor ever, brag about it and then kablam! Something bad happens and it all gets taken away from you.

Are you kidding? The Chaplain doesn't get bad-mouthed? :confused: Oh, yes, my friend, even he gets it too... :);)

Family Medicine is broad and requires someone who is comfortable working in such an environment.

I don't think most people in SDN have put down FM for the scope of their practice.

I think most of the complaints come from the pay issues in Family Medicine.

If FM paid as well as Derm or anesth., many, many people would go into FM and love it.

It surprises me to hear people say I'm being "converted" to FM.

You are not being converted. You would have done it anyway once you got a chance to live it.

One day the pay issue will be corrected and then the number of applicants will go through the roof.

The same thing happened in Anesth. and Rad.

Ugh. At it again, I see.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

whaddya mean by that, Slim, that you don't want ulterior points of view?

YOU SLIMS ARE FRIKKIN HILARIOUS.

Painting me as an angry, primary-care-hating individual.

Trouble is, THOSE ARE STORIES YOU'VE MADE UP.

IN YOUR HEAD.

ANDWHAT, et al,

its very sad that when "accosted" by someone that your only line of defense is demeaning the intruder.

Since I'm the intruder accosted by the regulars, I'll list while I'm here.

Any propaganda spewed by the regulars should be questioned.....

......HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH......I find it REMARKABLE how andwhat can interpret my posts to her advantage...

MY MESSAGE CONTINUES.....

"EMERGING FROM MED SCHOOL INTO A PRIMARY CARE RESIDENCY LADEN WITH TWO HUNDRED LARGE TO SALLIE MAE?"

"WE GOTTA PROBLEM."

I RAISE.

Last edited:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

IN YOUR HEAD.

ANDWHAT, et al,

its very sad that when "accosted" by someone that your only line of defense is demeaning the intruder.

......HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH......I find it REMARKABLE how andwhat can interpret my posts to her advantage...

"EMERGING FROM MED SCHOOL INTO A PRIMARY CARE RESIDENCY LADEN WITH TWO HUNDRED LARGE TO SALLIE MAE?"

"WE GOTTA PROBLEM."

I RAISE.

again why don't you grow up? Or raise up and out? I don't get this, very disappointing.
I have two hundred large ones and not just sallie mae, and I am more than comfortable paying that off in two years, as opposed to your seven.
so you RAISE.
My annual salary is over $200 K.

EMERGING FROM MED SCHOOL INTO A PRIMARY CARE RESIDENCY LADEN WITH TWO HUNDRED LARGE TO SALLIE MAE?"

"WE GOTTA PROBLEM."

Um...don't we already have a thread going on that subject? I think one's enough. You know what they say about "too much of a good thing." ;)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

IN YOUR HEAD.

ANDWHAT, et al,

"WE GOTTA PROBLEM."

I RAISE.

:sleep:

again why don't you grow up? Or raise up and out? I don't get this, very disappointing.
I have two hundred large ones and not just sallie mae, and I am more than comfortable paying that off in two years, as opposed to your seven.
so you RAISE.
My annual salary is over $200 K.

In jet's defense though (I don't mind the guy at all, just tired of the old message), andwhat is a HOSPITALIST, not in "primary care". So really, his/her salary doesn't matter in a primary care debate.

In jet's defense though (I don't mind the guy at all, just tired of the old message), andwhat is a HOSPITALIST, not in "primary care". So really, his/her salary doesn't matter in a primary care debate.

Hospitalist is basically a Hospital specialist, but you do alot of primary care too.

Hospitalist is basically a Hospital specialist, but you do alot of primary care too.

The appeal for most to do hospitalist positions is that they do NOT have to do primary care.

The appeal for most to do hospitalist positions is that they do NOT have to do primary care.

yes and no..... you do critical care medicine in the hospital, as opposed to long term care in the office.
Hospital is tougher at times let me tell you.
However it is shift work, which works out quite nice.
You really earn your paycheck.

I fold.

I was going to ante, but decided against it. I respect the fact that you're partner of a huge anesthesia group in Metarie, Lousiana with a boat load of money, and soon to be a senior faculty member at Tulane where you can inspire young minds. You've definitely served your time. I was sad to read about the personal problems you're having, though; and maybe it's true that it's affecting the quality of your posts. Sounds like there's still a little bitterness left over from the HMO movement. It's just been a little stale lately, for me anyways, as a fan of good posting.

But with all your accomplishments and all the things going for you (and I don't know how to ask this politely, but...), don't you think you're a little old for some of this stuff you've been up to recently on SDN?

I mean, do surgeons really treat you that poorly at work that you have to resort to some of this kind of stuff? I was amused at first, then irritated... but I'm actually starting to feel sorry for you.

I'd rather be 2 Sallie Maes, 1 Lehman Brothers, and 1 federal bailout than be the person that you've become. Sorry, kid. Good luck with everything.

Last edited:
I fold.

I was going to ante, but decided against it. I respect the fact that you're partner of a huge anesthesia group in Metarie, Lousiana with a boat load of money, and soon to be a senior faculty member at Tulane where you can inspire young minds. You've definitely served your time. I was sad to read about the personal problems you're having, though; and maybe it's true that it's affecting the quality of your posts. Sounds like there's still a little bitterness left over from the HMO movement. It's just been a little stale lately, for me anyways, as a fan of good posting.

But with all your accomplishments and all the things going for you (and I don't know how to ask this politely, but...), don't you think you're a little old for some of this stuff you've been up to recently on SDN?

I mean, do surgeons really treat you that poorly at work that you have to resort to some of this kind of stuff? I was amused at first, then irritated... but I'm actually starting to feel sorry for you.

I'd rather be 2 Sallie Maes, 1 Lehman Brothers, and 1 federal bailout than be the person that you've become. Sorry, kid. Good luck with everything.

Not unhappy in the least. Read my posts about the transition. That'll remove the inaccuracies in your post.

Passionate about salient issues as always.

I've posted prolifically about the anesthesiologist/surgeon relationship and how 99% is friendly and respectful. Remarkable how you like to make up stories to the contrary.

Posting without bias/filters, posting about how I view medicine after many years in private practice......is something I've chose to do for a plethora of reasons....some selfish, some unselfish.

I'm not here to befriend anyone.

I assure you, though, that what I post about is real life.

Not illusion/delusion.

I'll continue to post how I see it.

Whether its popular or abrasive.

Too old?:laugh:

Don't know what my age has to do with anything.

If I appear "too old" for you to read my posts theres always the ignore button.

I appreciate and respect your candor, though.

Last edited:
I fold.

ditto that, and completely man. Jet's odd and irrational behavior is strange. I sense Major Depression TRAIT not diagnosis -- similar to Dysthymia, albeit I am certainly no Psychiatrist. I have dealt with more than enough of my share of Depression as a subject though -- hundreds of patients probably, plus studied again, and again and again -- Residency rotations, Medical school rotations, Certification examination, USMLE, practice examinations galore, even streched as far as my current Inpatients.
This dude is not quite right.
I am sorry for you Jet, really I am. Please do not take out your personal frustrations on us.
You obviously do not feel appreciated, or important.
I am not understanding why you are spending a CONSIDERABLE amout of your time here trying to fight with people, that did absolutely nothing to you.
What benefit exactly do you get out of that?
Not once that this has occurred, but repeatedly -- again and again, SAME old story.
Yes it is true -- Jet expresses some undeniable hostility, and anger in his tones here.
You lash out unexpectedly at others with anger.
That is just not right.
Not quite sure what this guy is capable of, and its none of my business.
Good luck Jet. My hopes and wishes are with you genuinely.

Last edited:
Siiigh...you people are actually making me work.

Gonna see if I can get this one shut down. Absolutely no content and devolving into highly personal and irrelevant attacks.

Boring. Vacuous. Repetitive.

Let's see if assistant mods have any clout around here.....

Posting without bias/filters, posting about how I view medicine after many years in private practice......is something I've chose to do for a plethora of reasons....some selfish, some unselfish.

HAHAHAHAHA. Nobody does that!

Closing this thread at the request of the area moderator. Furthermore, I'd like to request that everyone involved in this take a breather from slugging it out for a while. There are many more important things in life than being right/proving others wrong on the internet. PM me if you need clarification.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.