Didn't send a thank you letter/note after an interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

madirocks

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I did it for my top choice school and have yet to do it for any others. I don't think I will either.

Members don't see this ad :)
never sent them either. thank me instead for spending a small fortune to stimulate your local economy lol.

Let's not lose sight of the big picture here. The thank you is NOT that big of a deal. Remember those four years of undergrad and that DAT you took and your day visiting the school in your best suit? That stuff matters. It doesn't matter if you don't send one; it doesn't hurt if you do.

NOT SENT
- no negative effects

SENT
- no negative effects (unless they specifically tell you not to or your gut tells you it won't be received well)
- potential positive effect (minute or not, you never know if it will make the difference)

I know some of you inherently believe they are a nuisance. That's okay. I tend to think those on the receiving end aren't the type of people to just throw them out and curse all the pre-dents who send them. How many do you really think they get? With more and more just popping off thank you emails, I doubt they're getting a stack of handwritten cards every week.

Also, it shouldn't be assumed that everyone who sends a thank you gesture is trying to make up for something they lack or make a plea for acceptance. We all come from different backgrounds and it's just what some people do. Whether you think this is an appropriate time or not isn't really your call.

Honestly I thought the same, but after my first interview which btw was a lot shorter than I expected, I figured I'd send a letter mentioning some positive aspects of the interview and myself. If the interviewers get hundreds of interviewees maybe the resonance of your name or a positive conversation during the interview might get you better placement with them in their memory/application process. If your interview went well, and you have 10 minutes to spare, mail one, or at least email one.

When a private school is trying to compete for OOS students against the in-state schools they want to know you will be likely to accept their offer. If you show them they you are likely to accept an offer through a note, you may be bumped up a litte on their priority list.

I know of 2 private schools that have this mentality, and I am sure there are more.

My committee letter writer said it's standard practice. I don't think it will hurt you that much if you don't but they did take that time to interview you and spend part of their day with you so even just sending it to be polite is reason enough.

I don't think it could hurt. Personally I grew up where it was common courtesy to send handwritten thank you notes. I sent notes to those that helped me prepare as well as my interviewer's. Just something quick and to the point could only enhance your application. I seriously doubt they would throw away a note, without reading it.

Thoughts on sending if via priority for next day? Will it seem like your sucking up even if it's not your intent?