Difference between DO/MD Residencies

c5212

to look fly in scrubs
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any differences between a D.O. residency and a M.D. residency?

Members don't see this ad.

In theory, a DO resident approaches patients with the "mind, body, and spirit" perspective in mind. However, functionally speaking, the differences between a DO and MD are negligible. If you talk to any practicing DO's, they will tell you that their medical school education was very similar to MD, and that as attending DO's there is no noteworthy difference.

In general..... No. Some DO programs will incorporate some sort of manipulative therapy education component into the program, depending on the specialty, and DO programs may be more likely to be based in community hospitals as opposed to huge academic medical centers, but I don't think you can really chalk that up to being strictly a positive or negative.

Of course there is still going to be a wide variety of differences between individual programs whether DO or MD.

Members don't see this ad :)
From my understanding its pretty much the same and makes no difference...which is why sometimes i dont understand the point of a D.O trying to match to an M.D residency...only thing that comes to mind is some type of "world recognition"..

Also DO's are suppose to learn OMM (osteo. manipulative medicine) however, also from my understanding and reading...they dont learn it to a
full scope and even if they do its not frequently practiced. So i would say in the U.S, the difference inconsequential.

i'm an osteopathic student.

i think that the difference between a "do" and an "md" is negligible.

however, the difference between a do and an md residency, in my opinion is quite different. do residencies are at small, community based hospitals where you don't get to see variety of cases, therefore you will be less prepared for practice. md residencies are at large hospitals, with excellent teaching. having trained at both do hospitals and md hospitals, i think that the DO hospitals aren't even comparable in quality to the education that you would get an MD program.

note this is just for residencies, the medical education u get as a DO is the same as that you would get at an MD institution.

however, the difference between a do and an md residency, in my opinion is quite different. do residencies are at small, community based hospitals where you don't get to see variety of cases, therefore you will be less prepared for practice. md residencies are at large hospitals, with excellent teaching. having trained at both do hospitals and md hospitals, i think that the DO hospitals aren't even comparable in quality to the education that you would get an MD program.

note this is just for residencies, the medical education u get as a DO is the same as that you would get at an MD institution.

Don't most DO medical students rotate at DO hospitals? If these hospitals aren't comparable in quality to their MD counterparts, do you think that this diminishes the quality of DO medical education? Do DO hospitals exclusively employ DOs or are they similar to MD hospitals, which employ both MDs and DOs?

Don't most DO medical students rotate at DO hospitals? If these hospitals aren't comparable in quality to their MD counterparts, do you think that this diminishes the quality of DO medical education? Do DO hospitals exclusively employ DOs or are they similar to MD hospitals, which employ both MDs and DOs?

It depends on the school. NYCOM students for example rotate at a variety of LI and NYC hospitals, such as North Shore/LIJ and Maimodes, which are both well known in the area and Maimodes also has SUNY-Downstate students there. Students from Albert Einstein COM also rotate at LIJ. I've also heard the PCOM students rotate at hospitals that also has students from Drexel and Temple.

Those are mighty large generalizations you make there. And I just outright disagree that just because you may not be at a large academic mega hospital that you won't be exposed to a good variety of cases.

Off the top of my head... PCOM students can participate in a variety of our consortium residencies. Locations off the top of my head include Sloan-Kettering, Cooper, LHV, Geisinger, St. Barnabas, and there are more. These are all excellent health systems and have MD residents as well. As a DO student, you are not helping our cause.

There are some minor ones, accreditation agencies AOA vs. ACGME. Most allo residencies prefer the USMLE and osteo prefer the COMLEX. Osteo are more likely to be community based as opposed to out of a research hospital. Training is largely equivalent. Privileges afterwards are equal.

Honestly, I think most DO-students spend most of their time rotating at allopathic-residency affiliated hospitals. There just aren't that many stand-alone osteopathic programs out there.

In any event, its not as if those "osteopathic" hospitals are only manned by DO-attendings. For the most part, I believe the majority of attendings "osteo" hospitals are still MD's.