Difference between R-L shunt and V/Q mismatch ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zeevee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If there is no ventilation there is some kind of obstruction so V/Q = 0 ( oxygen saturation wont help if complete)
If there is no perfusion usually its an embolism v/Q = ∅ ( infinity) ( oxygen saturation can help)

In either case its a V/Q mismatch

what is a rt -left shunt , how is that different from V/Q mismatch ?

@ forum greats please help and if you could help me with the progesterone challenge test that would be awesome

Members don't see this ad.

They are on the same spectrum, v/q mismatch is not quite as little oxygen as a full shunt, full shunt is the blood receives no oxygen by either mechanism you mentioned. Giving oxygen would not help to any appreciable degree in a shunt. That was my understanding anyway

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks zhopv .I agree with you .A shunt is a complete obstruction. I found a Q in BRS regarding this

A person with a ventilation/perfusion (V/Q) defect has hypoxemia and is treated with supplemental O2. The supplemental O2 will be most helpful if the person’s predomi- nant V/Q defect is

(A)dead space
(B)shunt
(C)high V/Q
(D)low V/Q

(E)V/Q=0
(F)V/Q=×

Answer is D

Reasoning is as follows :
SupplementalO2(breathinginspiredairwithahighPO2)ismost helpful in treating hypoxemia associated with a ventilation/perfusion (V/Q) defect if the predominant defect is low V/Q. Regions of low V/Q have the highest blood flow. Thus, breathing high PO2 air will raise the PO2 of a large volume of blood and have the greatest influence on the total blood flow leaving the lungs (which becomes systemic arterial blood). Dead space (i.e., V/Q = ∞ has no blood flow, so supplemental O2 has no effect on these regions. Shunt (i.e., V/Q = 0) has no ventilation, so supplemental O2 has no effect. Regions of high V/Q have little blood flow, thus raising the PO2 of a small volume of blood will have little overall effect on systemic arterial blood.

If there is no ventilation there is some kind of obstruction so V/Q = 0 ( oxygen saturation wont help if complete)
If there is no perfusion usually its an embolism v/Q = ∅ ( infinity) ( oxygen saturation can help)

In either case its a V/Q mismatch

what is a rt -left shunt , how is that different from V/Q mismatch ?

@ forum greats please help and if you could help me with the progesterone challenge test that would be awesome

I think R-L shunt is a cardiac shunt. So deoxygenated blood is mixing with oxygenated and therefore also causes hypoxemia and this, like the pulmonary shunt(v/q-->0) is not significantely fixable with extra O2. The difference is that there is no v/q mismatch in the cardiac shunt and the A-a ratio is also not elevated(in pulm shunt is is).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh good catch I didn't even notice the question about right to left shunt. That's def cardio as aioo said

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

awesome .yes thats exactly it.Case closed thanks to you

I think R-L shunt is a cardiac shunt. So deoxygenated blood is mixing with oxygenated and therefore also causes hypoxemia and this, like the pulmonary shunt(v/q-->0) is not significantely fixable with extra O2. The difference is that there is no v/q mismatch in the cardiac shunt and the A-a ratio is also not elevated(in pulm shunt is is).