Difference in grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bingutothetop

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have the option of graduating early, I've seen other threads but am still unsure... I am debating applying next cycle, and am planning on continuing to study for the mcat throughout the fall semester and more intensely in the spring. If i graduate after the fall and do well, I can graduate with a 3.5 cgpa, and a 3.45 gpa, with a huge upward trend (2.75 freshman year). If i stay and take a full course load, I can bump it to a 3.55c/sgpa (assuming I take all science courses, 16 credits). Does it make sense to stay or is it better to focus on the mcat and apply as early as possible (first day app opens).

Separately, if i graduate early, I may take a summer class, would it make sense to wait until i receive a grade for it, or should i apply early and then update the app with the one grade.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you confident in your ability to get a 4.0 in all the classes you intend to take? Is raising your GPA by .05 worth a semester of tuition + textbooks + living expenses? Will you be able to dedicate sufficient time to studying for the MCAT on top of taking a full course load and doing the work necessary to receive all A's?

I'm not trying to deter you, just offering some important questions you should be considering.

Reactions: 1 user
Does it make sense to stay or is it better to focus on the mcat and apply as early as possible (first day app opens).

Separately, if i graduate early, I may take a summer class, would it make sense to wait until i receive a grade for it, or should i apply early and then update the app with the one grade.

Alot of people plan on focusing only on the MCAT, but fail to do so for whatever reason. That being said, if you truly do, it will pay out.

Go ahead and take a class and update app. It doesn't take that much effort.

Members don't see this ad :)
How confident are you that you can take a full load of all science courses and get a's in all of them? The way you're phrasing the question, you're going on the assumption that it will certainly happen.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I agree completely with all of the responses, to assume a 4.0 would be naive. I do have a 4.0 the last two semester however, but as always there is a strong chance it may not turn out the way id like.

Alot of people plan on focusing only on the MCAT, but fail to do so for whatever reason. That being said, if you truly do, it will pay out.

Go ahead and take a class and update app. It doesn't take that much effort.
Sure, but the update apparently wouldn't impact the gpa if the app is already verified.