Differences between Masters-level Epi and Biostats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigRed_12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having trouble deciding between studying biostatistics and studying epidemiology. I've gotten acceptances from masters-level programs in both fields, and I could use some advice on making that decision.

I have a real interest in statistical analysis and working with large datasets from my time as an biologist studying population ecology. However, at the same time, the science and research that interests me the most is infectious disease, particularly transmission dynamics of vector-borne illnesses like dengue or malaria. I'm interested in a more academic/research career though, and not as much the direct implementation of control and prevention - I think those are important, but not quite my forte.

I think I would more strongly lean towards biostatistics if I was certain it would not significantly harm my chances of pursing research jobs and eventual doctoral study in epidemiology.

Well, I know I need to do more of my own research on this, but if any of you would indulge me, it would great to hear some of your thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

Did you get an acceptance into a MS or MPH biostats program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Replying a little late:

I was accepted to Columbia MS in biostats and MPHs in Epi at Emory and BU. Still waiting on Minnesota for Biostats for both MPH and MS

BigRed, may I ask which you ended up choosing?

can someone kindly describe a day to day work of an epidemiologist?

Reactions: 1 user