Program-Specific Info / Q's Differences between OT programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OccTherapy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm applying to OT programs this cycle and I'm trying to find out the big differences between a lot of the top programs. I've applied to about 15 different programs (USC, WashU, BU, SJSU, Tufts, etc.) and already got acceptances into a few. Although most are Masters programs, I'm pretty sure I want to go for my OTD.

I know a lot of people use location as a good indicator of which school they want to attend, and I'm looking to go to a school in a big city. I'm also narrowing down my choices by choosing schools that actually offer OTD and where I can complete it in 3 years. (While I'd love to live in NY, Columbia doesn't offer OTD, and NYU's masters+OTD program would take 4.5 years to complete.)

So my main question is: what are the biggest differences between the schools that do offer the OTD- like USC, BU, WashU, VCU?

Also, has anybody gone the route of getting their Masters from a school that didn't offer OTD, and then doing the additional OTD year/s immediately after at a different university? I know this route is stickier because you have to reapply with rec letters, GRE scores, etc. but I'm wondering if it's as much of a pain as it sounds.

Any information is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!

I'm applying to OT programs this cycle and I'm trying to find out the big differences between a lot of the top programs. I've applied to about 15 different programs (USC, WashU, BU, SJSU, Tufts, etc.) and already got acceptances into a few. Although most are Masters programs, I'm pretty sure I want to go for my OTD.

I know a lot of people use location as a good indicator of which school they want to attend, and I'm looking to go to a school in a big city. I'm also narrowing down my choices by choosing schools that actually offer OTD and where I can complete it in 3 years. (While I'd love to live in NY, Columbia doesn't offer OTD, and NYU's masters+OTD program would take 4.5 years to complete.)

So my main question is: what are the biggest differences between the schools that do offer the OTD- like USC, BU, WashU, VCU?

Also, has anybody gone the route of getting their Masters from a school that didn't offer OTD, and then doing the additional OTD year/s immediately after at a different university? I know this route is stickier because you have to reapply with rec letters, GRE scores, etc. but I'm wondering if it's as much of a pain as it sounds.

Not so sure about the programs you mentioned, but I know Wash U is supposedly really respected. I know RIC will take Wash U students right after a program pretty easily where other grads need to complete a few years in experience first.

An OT I know was grandfathered in with a masters and is now going back for a one year doctorate program (not sure if it is OTD or doctorate in health science) that she is able to easily commute to once a month and do the rest of the work online. She said it was easy to get into and nothing like how competitive it is to get the masters/doctorate out of undergrad. I think she's doing it so she can lead research instead of teaming up with other OTDs/PhDs to do it. I'm not sure if I have all the facts right, if not someone please point it out, but this is my understanding of what she is doing

Last edited:
Hello!

@OccTherapy have you heard from SJSU yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been wondering the same thing. All of the OTs I've shadowed have said it doesn't really matter where you go, but I have a hard time believing that. I'm trying to visit all of the schools I'm interested in and be put in contact with a student at each one. Here's a list of the questions I've been asking:

1) What kinds of hands on experience does your program offer? Student clinic? Assistive technology labs? etc
2) Where do your students complete their field work? What percentage of students get their first choice in practice area/specific site? Any international field work?
3) What percentage of your faculty are currently practicing OTs?
4) What sort of mentoring opportunities do you offer? Do students have access to a practicing OT in the community for mentorship?
5) Where do most students live? What percentage commute?

What questions do you guys ask?

Also, does any one have an opinion on UW-Madison vs Rush?

Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
I've been wondering the same thing. All of the OTs I've shadowed have said it doesn't really matter where you go, but I have a hard time believing that. I'm trying to visit all of the schools I'm interested in and be put in contact with a student at each one. Here's a list of the questions I've been asking:

1) What kinds of hands on experience does your program offer? Student clinic? Assistive technology labs? etc
2) Where do your students complete their field work? What percentage of students get their first choice in practice area/specific site? Any international field work?
3) What percentage of your faculty are currently practicing OTs?
4) What sort of mentoring opportunities do you offer? Do students have access to a practicing OT in the community for mentorship?
5) Where do most students live? What percentage commute?

What questions do you guys ask?

Also, does any one have an opinion on UW-Madison vs Rush?

Thanks!
It seems the bigger, higher ranked schools tend to be more involved in research. So if you don't care about research, don't focus on the "top" programs.

I have not found that to be true. I am at one of those big highly ranked schools. I'm in a first tier program... and I think the rankings are a joke. The methodology of the rankings is to ask OT professors at programs their opinions of other OT programs. They then aggregate the results. Uh, seriously?

I go to a highly ranked program, and I wish there were more research oriented professors. PhDs in my program are far and few between. Things are rather slap dash in many OT programs. You're here for two years, this is OT; you're not trying to cure cancer or discover an alternative energy source. OT is very cool, but it isn't rocket science, if you have above average intelligence and you work hard you can do this. All the rest is noise. Incur as little debt along the way as you can and pass your NBCOT.

I've been trying to look into programs in the northeast that are doing more physiological/neurological research on ASD, and they're top ranked (Kansas, VCU, Temple (although Temple is around 30), USC, etc. If they're part of a liberal arts college and they're a smaller program, a lot of them don't even have a research section on the website, or list publications under the faculty. If they do, it tends to be a bit more qualitative in nature.

So no, they aren't all, but someone shouldn't be interested in a school just because they're top ranked. The only reason it should matter is if you're interested a professor's research and can actually assist, the school has a specialty you're interested in, or the school places a lot of people at a specialty program you'd like to work at.

Of course, since I'm just applying to schools, this is my opinion based on what I've seen/from talking to some programs.

I have not found that to be true. I am at one of those big highly ranked schools. I'm in a first tier program... and I think the rankings are a joke. The methodology of the rankings is to ask OT professors at programs their opinions of other OT programs. They then aggregate the results. Uh, seriously?

I go to a highly ranked program, and I wish there were more research oriented professors. PhDs in my program are far and few between. Things are rather slap dash in many OT programs. You're here for two years, this is OT; you're not trying to cure cancer or discover an alternative energy source. OT is very cool, but it isn't rocket science, if you have above average intelligence and you work hard you can do this. All the rest is noise. Incur as little debt along the way as you can and pass your NBCOT.
I just want to say that I REALLY appreciate the point of view that you bring to this site. I find that what you say is true to my own experiences. I actually just got accepted into a program that is ranked low, but it baffles me as to why it is ranked so low. When I went to the school, all the students seemed happy to be there, everyone was super friendly, and they have been so welcoming and helpful to me as I start the matriculation process. This is in stark contrast to a school I have tried to get into for 2 years, which is ranked in the top 25, but which has a cold reception to students. Even the interview days starts out by basically telling students that their good enough for an interview, but not all are good enough for the program (they like to compare themselves to USC). I didn't know the ranking was done by professors and their opinions of other schools, seems totally subjective to me. At any rate, good luck in your 2nd year of OT school and thanks again for the student realness

Last edited:
I want to add to what MOT4ME comment of OT school not being difficult. It truly depends on your background. People from a top tier undergraduate will have no problem adjusting to to the demand of the school in terms of learning theory and application. People with hand-on experience such as working as a tech or aide will grasp clinical practical and competency more easily. However, OT takes people from all type of background and different institution do have different quality of education.

I agree that ranking of school may not matter so much. I would value the pass rate and accreditation more. It's not the same as medical school or law school. If anything, schools that likes research may sacrifice clinical education to an extent relatively speaking. That may or may not influence your decision in school selection.

If every OT you shadow with and every OTS is telling you it doesn't matter where you go, why do you have a hard time believing that? You're applying to Tufts and all these elite sounding schools: attending those schools will likely provide you with no advantage when it comes to getting a job. I am not saying that to be mean, or to crush a dream you have, I am only reminding you of this to take it into account when you do a cost-benefit analysis of the situation. I hope you get a scholarship and cheap tuition at one of those schools; it would be foolish not to attend if that is the case.

If you plan on getting your PhD and going the academic route to become an OT you can make that leap from large state schools with research oriented faculty, you don't need to go to an elite school. If you are planning on being an OT clinician, I'm just very interested in finding out WHY you think going to Tufts or USC or Vanderbilt or Columbia will give you an advantage at a job?

What can you get out of an OTD degree that will justify spending more time and money and lost wages for that piece of paper? Do you think you'll get hired or become management instantly because you have an OTD? If you want to teach the OTD is largely scoffed at by academic researchers: it's more like a finishing school degree than anything in the world of academia. If you show talent at your job and you're offered a management position, your employer will pay for your part time OTD program. Even without promise, most employers will pay for that degree if you want it. Why do you want to pay for it out of pocket as an entry level clinician?

Here's a more likely scenario which I have seen born out from my friends who graduated and have jobs as OTs: Student graduates from a local university. Community ties and affiliations are made aware during the interview; e.g. "I also went to XYZ university and I also worked with XYZ prof in XYZ modalities and XYZ fieldwork site". You get a job.

This isn't law school. It's OT school. The biggest question from a prospective employer will be: have you already passed the NBCOT? If so - great- you'll get a job somewhere. I think you should go wherever your heart desires but be aware of the considerations which I think are important. You must be very smart to apply to such challenging programs, but if you think you will get an edge out of those programs when it comes to employment you should be realistic, you won't likely have that. I think a lot of recent undergrads have a GPA focus and also think that school name has an impact on employment.
You will not make more money for going Tufts. You will not get hired quicker than the person who went to a state school at a fraction of the cost, and you will not likely learn anything "more" to justify the larger tuition bill. Now, if you find faculty that are there at these schools that draw you to the program and you have scholarships and you feel the academic program strongly has an emphasis in an area you have a strong passion for: you are right to follow that dream!
If you are independently wealthy you may disregard my entire post and go wherever you want: it's a good decision no matter where you go if that is the case. :)

My advice for everyone: Listen to clinicians and students who are in the field. If you are not independently wealthy this is solid advice. If you wish to be a OT clinician it does NOT matter what school you attend. More accurately, it does not matter enough to merit paying significantly more to get an OT degree. What really matters is your ability to pass the NBCOT; a good program will help you pass. You don't need an "elite" program or an OTD to pass the NBCOT. You need to be able to study, and you need a program which meets all the ACOTE standards. If you have poor instruction, you shouldn't be going to that school. I can think of very few schools which would not prepare you for the NBCOT solidly if you do your work and study during your program. The OTD is a waste of your money. If you want it later your work will pay. The rankings are a waste of your time, pay them only passing attention. Your GPA in OT school do not matter one iota re your employment as long as you earn your degree. No prospective employer will EVER ask you for your transcripts. We have been told this repeatedly in our program, ad nauseam.

Take the advice, otherwise you're doomed to spend more than you need for a degree that you didn't have to. I wish you the best of luck!

Thanks for your feedback, MOT4ME. To clarify, I understand that going to a more prestigious school will not impact my employment prospects. My understanding is that the job market is good enough right now that pretty much everyone who passes the NBCOT will get a job. Rather, I want the best education I can get (within a reasonable $ range, obviously) and I have a hard time believing that schools do not differ in that respect. For example, are some schools "fluffier" than others? Do some give you a stronger biomechanical foundation? Do some give more hands on experiences, helping you feel more prepared for your level IIs? Are students engaged? Do they help each other learn and make the most of the 2 years we have to totally devote ourselves to learning? I feel like being a full time student is an incredible opportunity, and having the best possible experience is worth some debt in the future. I am accustomed to a very frugal lifestyle, and have no doubt that I'll be able to pay off loans on an OT's salary. I just want to get everything I can out of the next two and a half years, because it's the only time in my life I'll be able to focus on myself like this again.

Last edited:
Honestly it seems pointless going for the OTD for entry level practice. Some maybe thinking that PTs have DPTs and all that but from what I can tell they did this for direct access and has had varying results.

Seems like a waste of money at this point of time as you do not need a doctorate level degree to practice OT.

If you are up to it there a couple of programs that give that degree on an online format like Thomas Jefferson. So you can still practice and still get an OTD while working. It will cost around 35k for 33 credits. I know of nobody having a pay increase having a OTD vs MOT vs BS level degree.

I went to a highly ranked school (UIC) and just want to add my thoughts. While rankings are not always fair or transparent, they can impact the quality of education. In the Chicago area, UIC is highly regarded by many employers. It's ranked high because it is a research giant, home of MOHO and many influential practitioners in the field. My perspective as a practitioner now was shaped by my education, and students who went to Wash U most likely have a different perspective due their emphasis on the PEOP model. These things don't mean anything yet to a prospective student, but my point is that schools offer different things and cost is not the only factor to consider (though you should definitely be realistic about it). I would also consider what kind of fieldwork opportunities are available, class size, credentials of the professors, NBCOT pass rates, and employment statistics of recent grads. While it is true that passing the NBCOT is all you need to compete for a job, the market is getting tighter, especially in the more desirable settings like major hospitals. I would recommend holding off on the OTD until you are in school and get a better understanding of what that degree can do for your career. There are part time options available that would allow you to work as an OTR while getting your OTD to help defray the cost. I know employers will help pay for a certain amount of credits for continuing education, but I've never heard of them paying for the entire degree, so I wouldn't count on that happening. Also, explore the typical class make-up since you'll be spending 2 years with them. When I visited my school before starting, I was surprised to hear how close knit the previous classes had been. This isn't always the case, but it sure makes for a better, and more fun, learning environment. :)

Reactions: 4 users
SNFs do pay more, but they also have higher productivity requirements and less training/mentorship/resources that a big hospital system would have, which is important to a lot of new grads. For outpatient, it depends on the facility. There are a lot of jobs at outpatient pediatric stand alone clinics right now. There are still job openings in hospitals, but just not as frequent as there used to be, at least in the Chicago area. Many of my classmates were able to find jobs at hospitals though.

Reactions: 1 users