Different Paths in Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greensoup

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
MD is very general and can cover a broad range of fields. Once you get into medical school, what are some of the paths people tend to take (specialization)?

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks. Is this board primarily sarcastic and I should be prepared in every topic? :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Your status says "fellow" so you should already know!

Medical school is very standardized, for the first 3 years everyone does the same classes and rotations, with just a few elective/selective things thrown in. The core curriculum is so dense and broad that there isn't a ton of room for interpretation.

The last year of medical school you usually only have a few things that need to be done, like subinternships and the like, and the rest of your time you can do rotations (both home and away) in the fields you find the most interesting from a career standpoint.

You don't really specialize until residency.

Your status says "fellow" so you should already know!

Medical school is very standardized, for the first 3 years everyone does the same classes and rotations, with just a few elective/selective things thrown in. The core curriculum is so dense and broad that there isn't a ton of room for interpretation.

The last year of medical school you usually only have a few things that need to be done, like subinternships and the like, and the rest of your time you can do rotations (both home and away) in the fields you find the most interesting from a career standpoint.

You don't really specialize until residency.

Thank you typhoon, you are a fellow too. Is it really just that status that creates the ostracizing? :p

So the last year is basically a 'free' year of relaxation and exploration? I've also heard Med school is much easier in Pre Med and that once you get through the daunting task of getting IN, you are nearly set. True?

False.

Undergrad is pretty easy if you can manage your time. I majored in chemical engineering, and found that medical school was harder and took a more consistent effort due to the volume.

4th year of medical school is not exactly free, but it is the closest you are going to get for a very long time.

...and I'm a "fellow" because I've finished residency and am in my PGY-6 year of ICU training. Why are you a fellow?

Thank you typhoon, you are a fellow too. Is it really just that status that creates the ostracizing? :p

So the last year is basically a 'free' year of relaxation and exploration? I've also heard Med school is much easier in Pre Med and that once you get through the daunting task of getting IN, you are nearly set. True?

Hi, greensoup. Who are you? Where are you from? What are you trying to do here? You remind me of a "fellow" named muffeoniv.

False.

Undergrad is pretty easy if you can manage your time. I majored in chemical engineering, and found that medical school was harder and took a more consistent effort due to the volume.

4th year of medical school is not exactly free, but it is the closest you are going to get for a very long time.

...and I'm a "fellow" because I've finished residency and am in my PGY-6 year of ICU training. Why are you a fellow?

Interesting. I know a lot of people from HS who had their dreams shattered once they went into UCs or other tough schools because of GPA killing courses. On the other hand, those who get in all get out alive ready to continue (or drop because of lack of interest).

What is PGY-6?
Thanks for answering my questions.

Hi, greensoup. Who are you? Where are you from? What are you trying to do here? You remind me of a "fellow" named muffeoniv.

I am greensoup from the USA. I'm just here trying to learn about the field from genuine curiosity.

I like muffins but I do not know of any muffeoniv.

What is PGY?.

If you have to ask, you should look up fellowship and change your status. It would probably help you get more serious answers.

I am greensoup from the USA. I'm just here trying to learn about the field from genuine curiosity.

I like muffins but I do not know of any muffeoniv.

There's a lot of learning to be done between just reading and performing some basic google searches. You don't need to start multiple threads everyday about very basic information.

Coulda sworn you knew that guy.

If you have to ask, you should look up fellowship and change your status. It would probably help you get more serious answers.
Fellow had [Any Field] next to it. Misinterpreted.

Post-graduate year 6. Meaning he's in his 6th year of medical training (residency/fellowship) since graduating med school.

Wow, quite a long time. Congratulations! Sounds like it takes about 15 years or so to complete.