Different types of Physicians....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Dai Phan

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Over the years, I flip though various Yellow pages and noted that the term "physicians" are being used more and more in different allied health disciplines. Rather seeing "psychiatry, dermatology, hematology and so forth..." under different physicians listings, I started to see "Chiropractic Physicians, Podiatry Physicians and Optometry Physicians" all over the place. About a year ago, someone wrote in the ADA about how dentists should be listed or considered as "Oral Physicians" too!!! I thought it was the most ridiculous recommendation ever to appear in a major journal. Now, any of you know why the three disciplines I mentioned are now a type of "physicians" legal to be adverised as such? DP

Members don't see this ad.

Dr. Dai Phan said:
Hello,

Over the years, I flip though various Yellow pages and noted that the term "physicians" are being used more and more in different allied health disciplines. Rather seeing "psychiatry, dermatology, hematology and so forth..." under different physicians listings, I started to see "Chiropractic Physicians, Podiatry Physicians and Optometry Physicians" all over the place. About a year ago, someone wrote in the ADA about how dentists should be listed or considered as "Oral Physicians" too!!! I thought it was the most ridiculous recommendation ever to appear in a major journal. Now, any of you know why the three disciplines I mentioned are now a type of "physicians" legal to be adverised as such? DP

Probably depends on the region. For instance, under NY law (guidelines), unless I am misreading it, it does not appear that podiatrists are permitted to use the title "physician" in ads. See http://www.op.nysed.gov/podiatryguidespecial.htm

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. Dai Phan said:
Hello,

Oh grow up.....

Dr. Dai Phan said:
Hello,

Its the end of the world as we know it...
Seriously, arent there more important things to worry about?

Why does it matter really? If someone ever made the mistake of thinking that they really were medical physicians, they would figure it out if they called them or showed up at their office. If anything I would feel embarresed if I was the doctor leading people believe I was a physician and then turning them back.

In my country we refer to the physicians as doctors. We refer to physicists as physician. When I first came to the US I thought people were talking about physicists. I never understood the term. Why not just say doctor of medicine or something like that. There is too much confusion.

onmywayRN said:
In my country we refer to the physicians as doctors. We refer to physicists as physician. When I first came to the US I thought people were talking about physicists. I never understood the term. Why not just say doctor of medicine or something like that. There is too much confusion.

:laugh: