Different types of PS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JDWflash44

Workin it...
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think about the different types of PS subjects? Do you think it's better to go through the chronological this is what i've done and this is why I want to be a doctor essay? or do you think its better to tell a story and relate that to your strengths and why you would be a good doctor, how it changed you? Just curious...I have one of each and i'm not sure which one to use.

Members don't see this ad.

JDWflash44 said:
What do you guys think about the different types of PS subjects? Do you think it's better to go through the chronological this is what i've done and this is why I want to be a doctor essay? or do you think its better to tell a story and relate that to your strengths and why you would be a good doctor, how it changed you? Just curious...I have one of each and i'm not sure which one to use.

hey--i did the chronological thing, but i think both types work.....maybe you should have someone read both versions and pick which one is the best??? If u want to PM them to me, i'd be happy to give you my opinion.

Both types of personal statements are fine. Just make sure that whichever method you use can purposely show how the theme ties together with your decision to become a doctor.

the key is writing something that shows why you're different and showcases an aspect of you that isn't apparent in the rest of the application. show off your strengths!

let's face it, the dude (or dudette) on the admissions committee is going to spend about 60 seconds reading your essay. if it's the same boring, hackneyed "i want to help people essay" they'll put it down and remember nothing. if you mention your strengths that set you apart and/or present your desire to practice in an original way you will make an impression.

i'm not saying write stuff off the wall, but don't write the same old boring essay...