Differential diagnosis resources for ADHD vs trauma vs autism

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was trained in a heavily behavioral lab, taught behavior modification in graduate school and most of my research is heavily informed by contemporary behavioral theory (particularly behavioral economics). All forms of therapy have weird cults, but behaviorism (including some of the ABA crowd) cults really are....unique....relative to the others. They just seem to have glommed onto the idea that behaviorism somehow supersedes everything else and no matter what you are doing it is just behavioral therapy. Had a colleague who spent like 40 minutes explaining to me that classic cognitive therapy was really Skinnerian behaviorism for reasons that never made any effing sense and seemed to rely on reclassifying everything as behavior in nonsensical ways and making so many assumptions about unobservable things that I'm pretty sure Skinner would have actually punched him in the nose if he overheard the conversation.

Nothing was done to invite that conversation by the way. He just came into my office to have this very specific diatribe for unclear reasons and then wandered off.
Funny thing is Skinner wasn't ABA, but rather EAB (experimental analysis of behavior) and radical behaviorism (philosophical/theoretical stuff). I do think that if you work hard enough you can translate cbt/ct stuff into behavioral language, it ultimately isn't necessary.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I was trained in a heavily behavioral lab, taught behavior modification in graduate school and most of my research is heavily informed by contemporary behavioral theory (particularly behavioral economics). All forms of therapy have weird cults, but behaviorism (including some of the ABA crowd) cults really are....unique....relative to the others. They just seem to have glommed onto the idea that behaviorism somehow supersedes everything else and no matter what you are doing it is just behavioral therapy. Had a colleague who spent like 40 minutes explaining to me that classic cognitive therapy was really Skinnerian behaviorism for reasons that never made any effing sense and seemed to rely on reclassifying everything as behavior in nonsensical ways and making so many assumptions about unobservable things that I'm pretty sure Skinner would have actually punched him in the nose if he overheard the conversation.
ACT in particular has a lot of cultish vibes, IME. I've frequently wanted to say, "Steve Hayes is not atheist Jesus!"

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
ACT in particular has a lot of cultish vibes, IME. I've frequently wanted to say, "Steve Hayes is not atheist Jesus!"
He seems to be happy to- at times- cultivate that vibe. However, he did give one of the most professionally and personally motivating talks I've ever attended as his presidential address at the AABT (now ABCT) conference back when I was in grad school in the late 90's. Topic was how humans are the only species we know of that commits suicide, and it's probably because of our ability to represent events with language and self-talk.

While we're talking about ABA, I really wish that behaviorist analysts would stop trying to glom on to the neurodiversity movement without knowing anything about ableism or disability identity, culture, or pride and how you can have that and still work towards behavior change. It's like "you're trying, but I don't think you understand this at all, besides seeing the word a lot on social media."
While purity of intent would be ideal, acknowledging the existence of neurodiversity and inviting different perspectives to the table us a very big step. Maybe just a first step, bit us humans can be pretty resistant to change and every little step counts.

While purity of intent would be ideal, acknowledging the existence of neurodiversity and inviting different perspectives to the table us a very big step. Maybe just a first step, bit us humans can be pretty resistant to change and every little step counts.
True--I'm glad we're reaching the point as a field where we can acknowledge that disabled people are actual people. On the other hand, I've known plenty of folks who were happy to throw "neurodiversity" in as a talking point while simultaneously saying "ableism doesn't exist anymore." It feels sort of like "I have disabled/autistic friends!" only it's "I talked to disabled person once--they weren't my friend, but I talked to them!" I dunno--I get exhausted by the ableism in disability-related fields, and then people covering it by saying "well, I have disabled clients, so I'm not ableist." In my first grad program, the director pointedly told me that "we don't know what to do when one of you [a disabled person] wants to become one of us [a psychologist]."

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
True--I'm glad we're reaching the point as a field where we can acknowledge that disabled people are actual people. On the other hand, I've known plenty of folks who were happy to throw "neurodiversity" in as a talking point while simultaneously saying "ableism doesn't exist anymore." It feels sort of like "I have disabled/autistic friends!" only it's "I talked to disabled person once--they weren't my friend, but I talked to them!" I dunno--I get exhausted by the ableism in disability-related fields, and then people covering it by saying "well, I have disabled clients, so I'm not ableist." In my first grad program, the director pointedly told me that "we don't know what to do when one of you [a disabled person] wants to become one of us [a psychologist]."
First off- that grad school director is- at least in part- a jerk. Even if you don't have the correct perspective, at least have some tact. I'm sorry you had that experience. I obviously can't personally understand your perspective. Hopefully you can trust me when I say that even though it's not ideal, it's so much better. There's a whole lot more room at the ABA table for multiple perspectives now than there was even a few years ago. Still a whole lotta work to do, but the recognition that there is the need for this work is somewhat refreshing.

Last edited:
Funny thing is Skinner wasn't ABA, but rather EAB (experimental analysis of behavior) and radical behaviorism (philosophical/theoretical stuff). I do think that if you work hard enough you can translate cbt/ct stuff into behavioral language, it ultimately isn't necessary.
Oh for sure - person wasn't a BCBA. Actually primarily a pre-clinical researcher. I've just seen the same attitude in some ABA circles:) Think I've said it before, but the cult stuff is always just made weirder by the fact that I have several friends that trained with the cult "deities." They all tended to have pretty balanced perspectives.

I take little issue with translating between work. Pretty much all forms of psychotherapy have commonalities. What's weird is this notion that being able to translate (sometimes with endless contortions) somehow invalidates the opposing component. Never their own though. Simply reversing the translation and then arguing CBT makes behaviorism irrelevant would not have gone well:rofl:

I've been noticing a lot of ACT people bash CBT, which is hilarious because ACT is CBT.

Reactions: 6 users
Are these people doctoral or midlevels? I've found the midlevels aren't all that knowledgeable in the history and background of these things.

Midlevels, as far as I know.

Members don't see this ad :)
I see this all the time in ABA circles. (Also, I've seen a trend online towards calling CBT "gaslighting," which... no).

Yeah, I've seen that too. The therapy subreddit had a discussion about if CBT is "gaslighting" and there were so many people who had no idea what CBT actually is. Are there just a lot of bad CBT practitioners out there or what's going on, exactly?

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah, I've seen that too. The therapy subreddit had a discussion about if CBT is "gaslighting" and there were so many people who had no idea what CBT actually is. Are there just a lot of bad CBT practitioners out there or what's going on, exactly?

Non-doctoral therapists with very little actual training or supervision trying to do it, in my experience. Though, I have met plenty of doctoral level providers who also have no idea what real CBT is from speaking with them. Bad training and over confidence all around.

Reactions: 1 users
I think it's that plus the fact that many--though not all--CBT books written in the past couple of decades are really light on the underlying theory, case formulation, and relationship building elements. I find the older books (70s, 80s, 90s, early 00s) to be much better reads and to emphasize these elements more. Modern CBT books often are 'technique/worksheet-heavy,' by contrast. Also there is a trend of grad students in recent years being trained to implement fixed protocols for syndromes but not being taught to case formulate and treat people competently outside of the explicit structure of a session-by-session manualized protocol.

I think it's that plus the fact that many--though not all--CBT books written in the past couple of decades are really light on the underlying theory, case formulation, and relationship building elements. I find the older books (70s, 80s, 90s, early 00s) to be much better reads and to emphasize these elements more. Modern CBT books often are 'technique/worksheet-heavy,' by contrast. Also there is a trend of grad students in recent years being trained to implement fixed protocols for syndromes but not being taught to case formulate and treat people competently outside of the explicit structure of a session-by-session manualized protocol.
I totally suck at CBT - I just did a beck institute training. Can yall recommend a training?

I totally suck at CBT - I just did a beck institute training. Can yall recommend a training?

The theory/book learning is just the first step. I think you'll have a better ROI if you find someone who is well versed in CBT who is willing to supervise/consult.

The croak of his voice is outta control.
I am working my way through one of his audiobooks now. It is a lot. The content is fairly straightforward when he's not in "sage" mode. I like the "you're supposed to feel stuff" angle of ACT, but all the extra bells and whistles seem excessive. It reminds me that I need to catch up on the dismantling literature. I really just finding the "mechanism of action" for a given therapy and get my clients to do it in whatever style they'll tolerate.

I like a lot of things about ACT, but relational frame theory really loses me.

I like a lot of things about ACT, but relational frame theory really loses me.
Yeah, I used to describe my clinical orientation as ACT-based, but shifted back to regular old CBT. I still use lots of ACT-y elements, but I find myself leaning more heavily toward traditional CBT.

I started listening to the book to refresh myself on the main elements, but Hayes is making it a bit of a slog.

I thought Judith Beck's CBT book was quite helpful:

Amazon product

It's a solid CBT text but not nearly as theory-rich (to me) as some alternatives. Lately I really like Tolin's Doing CBT and Hayes and Hofmann's Process-Based CBT. Some others I've spoken with also find Judith Beck's book a little...dry? But, to each their own.

Equating the treatment with handing out worksheets along with a liberal dose of advice on how to live your life is definitely something I have seen from the scores of incompetents out there.
In the DBT world it boils down to stop cutting and threatening suicide and do your worksheet. Oh you did your worksheet, well obviously you didn’t put enough effort into it.

The phrase "attaches to" can be a bit loaded in a psychological sense! I thinks it's more of an issue of repertoire, than it is "attachment." Remember- I'm talking about toddlers here- 2-3 years old. We only expect pretend play to be emerging around 2 years old. The child does not yet know how to use language in play, and thus is somewhat restricted to non-language-based (e.g., a focus on the stuff for what it is, rather than what it represents). This leads to relatively quick movement between objects or to relatively less brief attention to paid to caregiver directed language-based play. This in turn is interpreted as a deficit in attention, when it's actually a deficit in language and pretend play skills.

Ultimately, as @borne_before alluded to, it's an observation that these children play less with toys and activities that lend themselves to extended, functional, and pretend play. If, through teaching or maturation, the child's language improves and we then see more "attentive" play, it stops looking like an attention issue.
This is good stuff right here, and also @ClinicalABA other's comments on this thread, and so often overlooked. Well said.

In grad school, we were required to take coursework on ASD diagnoses and at least introductory ADOS training and experience. It's definitely served me and my former cohort members well even if many of us went to different specialities or just generalist. Even if it's just about having the awareness of this.

Another interesting factor , and had a few professors and supervisors who were well trained and regularly did evaluations for ASD , is to rule out hearing issues that can impact both hearing and subsequently impact language and speech skills if not treated by surgery (tubes).

Overall just being about to recognize these nuances @ClinicalABA highlighted can lead to referrals and earlier interventions. Sadly can see kids older who were never assessed or just seen as a "little" behind developmentally.

T

Another interesting factor , and had a few professors and supervisors who were well trained and regularly did evaluations for ASD , is to rule out hearing issues that can impact both hearing and subsequently impact language and speech skills if not treated by surgery (tubes).

Overall just being about to recognize these nuances @ClinicalABA highlighted can lead to referrals and earlier interventions. Sadly can see kids older who were never assessed or just seen as a "little" behind developmentally.
Good point. I have seen a few kiddos who were showing signs of ASD at the time of referral, but during the 9-12 month wait time before actually seeing me had tubes placed. Now that they could hear, language took off, and play and behavior soon fell into normal trajectories too. This didn't happen for all kiddos who got tubes. A lot of the toddlers that I see get tubes, and it usually doesn't translate to ASD symptoms ameliorating, but the number of kids for whom it did is non-zero.

As to your second point here, I am still surprised by how often I see a child who CLEARLY meet ASD criteria where the parents report that a pediatrician told the parent something along the lines of "don't worry- he'll grow out of it".

Good point. I have seen a few kiddos who were showing signs of ASD at the time of referral, but during the 9-12 month wait time before actually seeing me had tubes placed. Now that they could hear, language took off, and play and behavior soon fell into normal trajectories too. This didn't happen for all kiddos who got tubes. A lot of the toddlers that I see get tubes, and it usually doesn't translate to ASD symptoms ameliorating, but the number of kids for whom it did is non-zero.

As to your second point here, I am still surprised by how often I see a child who CLEARLY meet ASD criteria where the parents report that a pediatrician told the parent something along the lines of "don't worry- he'll grow out of it".
Wait and see model drives me crazy. It's kind of funny - but I am like the only psychologist in my state who will even see Deaf/HH kids for autism evaluations. I've developed this competency over a few years, but had ASL as my foreign language. Usually, Deaf or CODAs have pretty good nonverbals.

Because we are multispeciality clinic, I cannot tell you how many times kids come from audio that were originally referred for hearing concerns. But the mechanics of their hearing are just fine.

Wait and see model drives me crazy. It's kind of funny - but I am like the only psychologist in my state who will even see Deaf/HH kids for autism evaluations. I've developed this competency over a few years, but had ASL as my foreign language. Usually, Deaf or CODAs have pretty good nonverbals.

Because we are multispeciality clinic, I cannot tell you how many times kids come from audio that were originally referred for hearing concerns. But the mechanics of their hearing are just fine.
Yeah- my experience has been similar in that deaf/HH children have had very good non-verbal communication skills, even if still having difficulties in other areas of social interaction.

Yeah- my experience has been similar in that deaf/HH children have had very good non-verbal communication skills, even if still having difficulties in other areas of social interaction.
Ya know, I recently saw a CODA (because the word is out in the Deaf community in my area). I noticed something interesting. Both parents are Deaf. During the eval, I kept switching into signing and Deaf communication mode, even though the kid can hear. I'd find myself smacking a table or waving my hand in his peripheral to get his attention. His lack of responding to name, poor interaction, actually fooled me at times... Because he was mostly exposed to ASL, I actually approached the eval as if I was doing it with a Deaf kid. I didn't use the ADOS-2 modifications that are published, but I made sure to have an ASL interpretor with me during all interactions, just to have the best chances of getting good info from him.

Funny you bring this up as I experienced literally exactly this in my personal life with my now almost-2-year old. Got nervous around 8 months old as he still wasn't really babbling and was slightly delayed on physical milestones. First thought was ASD but other warning signs didn't seem to be there. I'm squarely on the adult psychopathology side though, so what do I know. Had constant ear infections since starting daycare, so I pushed for a hearing test. Sure enough, ears chock full of fluid. He can't hear a damn thing and it very likely was impacted balance. Tubes go in. He literally babbles for the first time in post-op. Start working with an SLP who mostly just tells us to keep doing what we're doing. He goes from ~2-4 months behind on most developmental markers to 2-4 months ahead over the next year.

Happy ending, but also helped me realize the many merits of our training and working in healthcare. We could have easily gone months or even years without this being caught as the pediatrician wasn't in any hurry. I effectively abused connections to cut in line for what otherwise would have meant much longer on various waiting lists (which I simultaneously feel badly about doing and would also do again in a heartbeat).

It might well all have evened out down the line, but would make the early school years a lot harder if the kid is 1-2 years behind on language development...

Reactions: 5 users
Funny you bring this up as I experienced literally exactly this in my personal life with my now almost-2-year old. Got nervous around 8 months old as he still wasn't really babbling and was slightly delayed on physical milestones. First thought was ASD but other warning signs didn't seem to be there. I'm squarely on the adult psychopathology side though, so what do I know. Had constant ear infections since starting daycare, so I pushed for a hearing test. Sure enough, ears chock full of fluid. He can't hear a damn thing and it very likely was impacted balance. Tubes go in. He literally babbles for the first time in post-op. Start working with an SLP who mostly just tells us to keep doing what we're doing. He goes from ~2-4 months behind on most developmental markers to 2-4 months ahead over the next year.

Happy ending, but also helped me realize the many merits of our training and working in healthcare. We could have easily gone months or even years without this being caught as the pediatrician wasn't in any hurry. I effectively abused connections to cut in line for what otherwise would have meant much longer on various waiting lists (which I simultaneously feel badly about doing and would also do again in a heartbeat).

It might well all have evened out down the line, but would make the early school years a lot harder if the kid is 1-2 years behind on language development...
Wow- glad you guys caught that and things worked out. I'm constantly amazed at how much problems with hearing and speech can negatively impact so many other areas of development (including, as was your case, motor skills). And- of course you pull any strings you can where your kid is concerned. That's just evolution, and you can't do anything differently about that!

Also- Freaking pediatrician. All they have to do is make a referral, which probably entails checking a box in the EMR and somebody else prints out something to hand to you with some numbers to call. When the risk of doing nothing is so great, inaction does not make much sense.

Last edited:
Wow- glad you guys caught that and things worked out. I'm constantly amazed at how much problems with hearing and speech can negatively impact so many other areas of development (including, as was your case, motor skills). And- of course you pull any strings you can where your kid is concerned. That's just evolution, and you can't do anything differently about that!

Also- Freaking pediatrician. All they have to do is make a referral, which probably entails checking a box in the EMR and somebody else prints out something to hand to you with some numbers to call. When the risk of doing nothing is so great, inaction does not make much sense.

Well, inner-ear infections impacting balance is not exactly news:) But yes - the linkage across these things is interesting. Its certainly a bit of a mystery to me why they were reluctant to make the referral. Than again, we were on the edge of the timeline when it would be considered a developmental delay and likely came across as anxious Type-A's so she may have just assumed we were overly worried.

That said, having now looked into it, I'm wildly unimpressed with the quality of the science behind "developmental milestones" (note - not discussing formal evaluations, just the "Kids should walk by X age" checklists pediatricians and the like follow). Standard deviations are so large that most seem almost useless. Not to mention the fact that so many toddler behaviors are somewhat...open to interpretation;) I assumed we had the science on this fairly locked down by now, but we very much do not.

Becoming a parent has certainly opened my eyes to exactly how limited the science is on many early childhood topics. Don't even get me started on the breastfeeding literature.

Well, inner-ear infections impacting balance is not exactly news:) But yes - the linkage across these things is interesting. Its certainly a bit of a mystery to me why they were reluctant to make the referral. Than again, we were on the edge of the timeline when it would be considered a developmental delay and likely came across as anxious Type-A's so she may have just assumed we were overly worried.

That said, having now looked into it, I'm wildly unimpressed with the quality of the science behind "developmental milestones" (note - not discussing formal evaluations, just the "Kids should walk by X age" checklists pediatricians and the like follow). Standard deviations are so large that most seem almost useless. Not to mention the fact that so many toddler behaviors are somewhat...open to interpretation;) I assumed we had the science on this fairly locked down by now, but we very much do not.

Becoming a parent has certainly opened my eyes to exactly how limited the science is on many early childhood topics. Don't even get me started on the breastfeeding literature.
Emily Oster does some interesting work on walking milestones and evidence based pregnancy/development stuff. Sort of interesting from an econometric point of view. I really like how she and economists in general, discuss decisions as preferences. I think our field would benefit form such an approach.

But my favorite stat on development: the average two year old has 200 words (also includes approximations/animal sounds)!

Well damn, this table on her instagram right here was pretty much exactly my point. It was quite literally something I wanted to start cobbling together myself when we started this journey (in a fantasy world where I have more free time).

Any idea what the SD around that average might be? Also, is that expressive or receptive? How was it measured? I'm not even clear how one could reliably assess something like that in a 2 yo beyond parent recall.

Well damn, this table on her instagram right here was pretty much exactly my point. It was quite literally something I wanted to start cobbling together myself when we started this journey (in a fantasy world where I have more free time).

Any idea what the SD around that average might be? Also, is that expressive or receptive? How was it measured? I'm not even clear how one could reliably assess something like that in a 2 yo beyond parent recall.

Both of her books are fantastic.

Emily Oster does some interesting work on walking milestones and evidence based pregnancy/development stuff. Sort of interesting from an econometric point of view. I really like how she and economists in general, discuss decisions as preferences. I think our field would benefit form such an approach.

But my favorite stat on development: the average two year old has 200 words (also includes approximations/animal sounds)!
She's a bit controversial, in that she's an economist with a good understanding of stats but no real training in psychology, child development, or medicine but writes books for lay audiences on those topics,

I mean, it also takes looking at the whole picture--if a kid is late for one or two milestones but early or on time for others, NBD. If a kid is missing several milestones, even age-adjusted for premies, that's worth looking at, especially if they have other symptoms, family histories that are positive for developmental issues, and/or there's a complicated medical history (premature birth, early severe illness, pregnancy complications, etc). This isn't really revolutionary stuff.

She's a bit controversial, in that she's an economist with a good understanding of stats but no real training in psychology, child development, or medicine but writes books for lay audiences on those topics,
I just find it refreshing since so much of early child development is still dominated Piagetian/constructivist/tabula rosa/etc. perspectives and tends to overlook data, genes, neuroscience, etc.

I just find it refreshing since so much of early child development is still dominated Piagetian/constructivist/tabula rosa/etc. perspectives and tends to overlook data, genes, neuroscience, etc.
I agree. It's just I've also seen researchers who specialize in some of the areas she reports on saying she came to a different conclusion than the data actually show. (Parenting/child development is just as populated by misunderstood science and people promoting sketchy things as clinical psychology is).

I agree. It's just I've also seen researchers who specialize in some of the areas she reports on saying she came to a different conclusion than the data actually show. (Parenting/child development is just as populated by misunderstood science and people promoting sketchy things as clinical psychology is).
A lot of ppl hate her because she (correctly) advocated for schools opening sooner.

A lot of ppl hate her because she (correctly) advocated for schools opening sooner.
The complaints I saw pre-dated the pandemic and weren't (arguably) political, FWIW. I have no doubt some, perhaps most, of her work is good, but I've seen enough researchers saying "I specialize in this, and that's not really what the literature says" that I do take her work with a grain of salt. (As an aside, I think re-opening or not was kind of damned if you do and damned if you don't, IMO--weighing instructional/social lose v. the spread of COVID was always going to be tricky, especially because COVID was very novel and epidemiological and health science around it was evolving and changing a lot in the height of the pandemic).

The complaints I saw pre-dated the pandemic and weren't (arguably) political, FWIW. I have no doubt some, perhaps most, of her work is good, but I've seen enough researchers saying "I specialize in this, and that's not really what the literature says" that I do take her work with a grain of salt. (As an aside, I think re-opening or not was kind of damned if you do and damned if you don't, IMO--weighing instructional/social lose v. the spread of COVID was always going to be tricky, especially because COVID was very novel and epidemiological and health science around it was evolving and changing a lot in the height of the pandemic).
I take them all with a grain of salt. The "specialists" are often so ideologically captured that they've p-hacked their whole narrative into a replication crisis. Probably motivated by tenure, citation indexes, selling a silver bullet for development, hucking feel good messages to vulnerable parents on social media, etc.

I take them all with a grain of salt. The "specialists" are often so ideologically captured that they've p-hacked their whole narrative into a replication crisis. Probably motivated by tenure, citation indexes, selling a silver bullet for development, hucking feel good messages to vulnerable parents on social media, etc.
And you think Oster has nothing to sell?

The logical conclusion to this is that ANY research is bad/faked/untrustworthy. What then are we left with when identifying truths in our world? Appeal to emotion? Appeal to authority? Picking a different method for each truth you want to identify, based on a priori beliefs about what those truths should be. Whatever- topic for another thread.

In regards to developmental norms, the typical "cut-offs" we see (e.g., "walking by 15 months"; "first words by 12 months"; "multiple word speech by 24 months") should be used as screening tools. If the behavior isn't seen by that age, the child is a few SDs from the average, and thus their MAY be a problem. Screening tools should produce a lot of false positives, as the alternative would lead to real delays not being addressed. Most kids are walking by 15 months (and most even sooner). A small proportion aren't. Of that small proportion that aren't, a portion has some has some identifying condition that is leading to their lack of independent walking, and would benefit from additional evaluation and intervention.
by having some generally agreed upon milestone age (which any well educated professional should understand is a limit on what is statistically normal and needs to be interpreted in the context of the variation in the distribution from which it is derived), we can then mete out services and resources (in this case, federally mandated EI/birth-to-three services) in a manner that ensure those who need it, get it, while also minimizing the number of children who don't need it but do get. As a society, we as a whole have identified this as the desired way of doing things, and these milestones are just a tool for achieving that ends.

As to "p-hacking" of developmental milestone research- really? These published milestones haven't changed much, if at all, over the past many years. Plus- they are something that we (lay people included) can see with our own damn eyes- most of our kids and our families/friends' kids walked starting talking by 12 mos, walked by 15 (at the latest),etc. This is a case where we have lot of naturalistic data supporting the published stuff. I find it very hard to believe that you (and I respect you) believe there are these conniving researchers faking (or judiciously evaluating) data and stats to produce purposefully incorrect conclusions regarding early development, grinning wildly as they cash their checks from "BIG EI" lobbyists. That's just adding "controversy" where there is- at best- some mild professional disagreement due to so slightly non overlapping data at the extreme ends of the distribution. I'm a lot more skeptical than the next guy. That doesn't mean that I don't believe everything I read, but rather that I have equipped myself with the tools to evaluate what I read and (in the case of a research article) understand enough about what's going on to determine if what is said in the conclusion could be and is supported by what is said in the methods and results.

And you think Oster has nothing to sell?
The home page on her website is literally pictures of the books she has for sale. Doesn't mean what's in the books isn't true, just that she clearly has something to sell. If the heuristic is "people with something to sell should not be trusted," it would be illogical to trust her.

I don't know much about her, but I do agree with her position that talking about averages is misleading if you don't know anything about the distribution. As you mentioned earlier, though, there is certainly nothing groundbreaking about the milestone ranges of hers that @borne_before cited. When faced with a parent who is overly worried that their child isn't walking by 13 months (or thinks their child is more "advanced" because they started talking at 9 months) us clinicians should have the understanding of the distributions and the skill to explain what that means to the parent in language they understand.

Last edited:
I don't think the developmental literature is any more or less problematic than other fields of science. I was extremely underwhelmed by the quality of the published data I was finding, when I was expecting there to be readily available detailed tracking of this in nationally/internationally representative samples with numbers in the tens of thousands. Its not my area so maybe I just wasn't finding those datasets.

That said, my concern is less about the milestones themselves and more about the public health/physician messaging. Hadn't realized til I got into it, but the early childhood world quite simply sucks terribly, even relative to the pretty low bar we have set for other healthcare overall. Probably partly because these poor folks are trying to overcome a completely untenable signal-noise ratio thanks to the mommy bloggers, predatory companies pitching "our blocks are specially designed to get your kid into Harvard" etc.

Its not rocket science to discuss these items as screening measures. It is common sense to us that milestones need to be taken in context and not quite meeting criteria for one in a typically developing child is different than being behind on all. Your prototypical parent isn't going to know to ask about the statistical nuances or think in those terms. My point is just that communication about this from nearly everyone we encountered as parents is very, very, very poor. Like, embarrassingly poor.

Your prototypical parent isn't going to know to ask about the statistical nuances or think in those terms. My point is just that communication about this from nearly everyone we encountered as parents is very, very, very poor. Like, embarrassingly poor.
Most communication to patients is extremely poor--I've been helping my parents with medical stuff as they get older, and I'm routinely shocked by how poorly some providers explain everything and how poorly my parents actually understand when they walk out of the appointment. Hell, my own PCP frequently prescribed medications and refused to tell me anything about them, even what exactly they were for, This is a whole area of health services research, actually--examining systemic, provider, and patient factors that influence this and how to improve it.

It's weird how a lot of people in this thread who usually have a high standard for EBP seem to have much lower standards for this topic.

The home page on her website is literally pictures of the books she has for sale. Doesn't mean what's in the books isn't true, just that she clearly has something to sell. If the heuristic is "people with something to sell should not be trusted," it would be illogical to trust her
The main selling point of her book seems to be "it's okay to regularly drink alcohol during pregnancy!", which did not go over well with people who do fetal health research, I mean, is one or two drinks during pregnancy going to doom your baby? Probably not. Does the science overwhelmingly indicate that it's best not to drink during pregnancy, especially because people tend to underestimate how much they drink? Yes. Is it irresponsible to suggest that women should drink regularly during pregnancy as a matter of course? IMO, yes--there's tons of potential risks introduced with very little benefit.

• Wow
The main selling point of her book seems to be "it's okay to regularly drink alcohol during pregnancy!", which did not go over well with people who do fetal health research, I mean, is one or two drinks during pregnancy going to doom your baby? Probably not. Does the science overwhelmingly indicate that it's best not to drink during pregnancy, especially because people tend to underestimate how much they drink? Yes. Is it irresponsible to suggest that women should drink regularly during pregnancy as a matter of course? IMO, yes--there's tons of potential risks introduced with very little benefit.

Oh, yeah, I attended a seminar with a renowned FAS researcher on this back during fellowship and that was the overwhelming message.