Difficult to find 1099/weekend work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DD214_DOC

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is way more difficult than I thought. I've worked with locum tenens and another place and no dice. I get plenty of emails about inpatient coverage during the week, but weekend-only and telepsych is a no go. I'm in an area with zero subspecialty psychiatrists (child) and nobody wants to add one to a practice or hospital for weekend/part-time coverage. No wonder there aren't any around here.

Seriously, why is it so difficult?

Members don't see this ad.

You're looking for C&A only?

Members don't see this ad :)
How big's your city? There's a lot of moonlighting here but it's not specifically child. There's a unit at a facility with kids but they're not recruiting child people for it on weekends and just gets covered by random people and residents. Are there many inpatient child facilities?

If you really want: Insight Telepsych and Arcadian Telepsych are recruiting for part time. Also: http://jsahealthmd.com/why-jsa-health/correctional-facilities/

The rates aren't great. Insight told me yesterday they are paying $50 for a 99213 (i.e. 4 per hour for $200), and has a 40 hour a month minimum. I would probably prefer prison psych at that rate, given at least the patients aren't roaming...

I actually think your best bet is to just start a part time private practice.

If you really want: Insight Telepsych and Arcadian Telepsych are recruiting for part time. Also: http://jsahealthmd.com/why-jsa-health/correctional-facilities/

The rates aren't great. Insight told me yesterday they are paying $50 for a 99213 (i.e. 4 per hour for $200), and has a 40 hour a month minimum. I would probably prefer prison psych at that rate, given at least the patients aren't roaming...

That rate is terrible.

I'm moving more towards my own part-time pp. Seems fun.

Reactions: 3 users
That rate is terrible.

I'm moving more towards my own part-time pp. Seems fun.

Oh yeah it's super fun, and once you get everything set up that's basically your meal ticket. Locum is not sustainable. Institutional jobs are ALWAYS exploitative. I think medium-large group partnership track practices are in theory most profitable in the long run, but it's not "fun". Solo (or very small group) will always be alive and well in psych, because it is truly one of the best jobs left in medicine.

Reactions: 1 user
The way things work in psych is that when you want a position (weekend coverage, etc) it's not available. but eventually you get busy , offers for various side jobs come your way, and then you have to start turning away opportunities. That has been my experience over the last year, since I started doing psych again

Why is that terrible, doesn't 99213 reimburse about $70 or so in total?

Do you have any residential facilities in your town? You can often turn those into weekend work. I worked at one where they didn't care when I worked so long as I saw my patients.

Do you have any residential facilities in your town? You can often turn those into weekend work. I worked at one where they didn't care when I worked so long as I saw my patients.
What kind of residential facilities need psychiatrists? And how do you set up that kind of job?

I have also been really disappointed with the openness to part-time work in my area. I'm surprised with the demand that people aren't willing be more flexible.

What kind of residential facilities need psychiatrists? And how do you set up that kind of job?

Psychiatric residential treatment facilities are typically designed for children & adolescent patients who need long-term care in a locked facility. Average length of stay is typically 90-days up to a year or so depending on the type of facility and what the kid is needing treatment for. My guess is that addiction RTCs aren't going to be looking for part-time work, but psychiatric ones could likely benefit from such. I used to moonlight at a RTC. Perhaps the most flexible moonlighting I could have done.

Psychiatric residential treatment facilities are typically designed for children & adolescent patients who need long-term care in a locked facility. Average length of stay is typically 90-days up to a year or so depending on the type of facility and what the kid is needing treatment for. My guess is that addiction RTCs aren't going to be looking for part-time work, but psychiatric ones could likely benefit from such. I used to moonlight at a RTC. Perhaps the most flexible moonlighting I could have done.
Anyone do this work with adults at nursing homes or assisted living facilities?

Old thread I know but I've gotten a couple weekend gigs by approaching a group I knew was looking for a weekday attending and offering weekends. Psychiatrists in my area, especially the younger ones, are less willing to work weekends now so reliable weekend coverage is an attractive selling point as they try to recruit new full time providers and also adds another credentialed warm body to the list for vacation coverage.