Difficult Undergrads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FlexinTexan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do admissions offices look at the rigor of undergraduate institutions? I've heard of some students assuming they are getting an extra 0.1 or 0.2 added to their GPA when they apply from difficult undergraduate programs.

What undergraduates are notoriously difficult in the eyes of admissions committees?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It's up to you, not your UG, to make you stand out and be your best.

Reactions: 1 users
Take responsibility for your low GPA and try to strengthen any others (MCAT or ECs) to make up for it. Difficult undergrads are not a good excuse and part of life is overcoming obstacles, not making excuses.

My GPA is fine and I'm not trying to make the difficulty of an undergraduate institution a scapegoat. I am just trying to identify the range of schools to which I can apply. For example, if any type of boost exists, then that of course raises the caliber of schools (3.72 -> 3.82 would change this, yes?). I've heard that applicants from my school can assume an increase of between 0.1 and 0.15 to their GPAs and was wondering if this is actually valid in any case. A 0.1 increase in GPA doesn't seem negligible to me but this is why I am asking you all.

If you screw up or don't put in enough effort it really doesn't matter where you went for UG, you're gonna have a tougher time with the application process. Even if you think your UG program is hard you can still excel because someone is going to. It might as well be you.

My GPA is fine and I'm not trying to make the difficulty of an undergraduate institution a scapegoat. I am just trying to identify the range of schools to which I can apply. For example, if any type of boost exists, then that of course raises the caliber of schools (3.72 -> 3.82 would change this, yes?). I've heard that applicants from my school can assume an increase of between 0.1 and 0.15 to their GPAs and was wondering if this is actually valid in any case. A 0.1 increase in GPA doesn't seem negligible to me but this is why I am asking you all.

I don't think the difference between a 3.72 and 3.82 is really going to sway any adcoms. The 3.7+ GPA is good enough for just about anywhere. It establishes you can handle coursework well. It's your MCAT that will give the better indicator of your preparedness in the context of a 3.7+ GPA, and your leadership, involvement, health care experience, research experience, personality, goals, PS, and secondary that will really differentiate you.

Reactions: 1 users

Since no one else was actually answering your question- I'd trust your adviser. Mine said a similar thing (students with a 3.5 from our school seem to do well with at school with a median of 3.6) or something similar backed up by some historical evidence. I seem to be having some success where my GPA is lower than average (likely due to a number of factors) but I don't think that it would be unreasonable for my undergrad to be a part of this.

It's not as simple as adding .1 or .2 GPA to compensate for a difficult/selective undergraduate institution.

There are many things to look at, especially comparing the MCAT to the GPA. Undergraduate selectivity/prestige is taken into account, mostly by private schools, but you shouldn't use it as a crutch to lean on.

There are a few schools out there that are notorious for grade deflation: UChicago, Princeton, MIT, Reed are some of these.

Then there are schools that are usually considered very tough/competitive: Ivys and other top schools generally fall into this category.

Undergraduate selectivity/prestige is taken into account, mostly by private schools...

Is there a particular reason why private schools place more emphasis on undergraduate prestige?

Is there a particular reason why private schools place more emphasis on undergraduate prestige?

I don't know the exact reason; a lot of private schools are highly ranked and seek very competitive applicants, which the top schools tend to produce. As for a source of this information, search for the "MCAT Student Selection Guide"; it is on page 7 I believe.

There is no "add points to GPA if from hard school". They take into account the rigor of your school and compare it to your MCAT then evaluate the EC's as a whole. I have a couple of friends from HYP who got into top 20 schools with a 3.4-3.5, so your undergrad is definitely taken into account. But just do well wherever you go.

How do admissions offices look at the rigor of undergraduate institutions?

The answer is not always clear and it varies from school to school. The only thing that there has been an absolute consensus on is that you should not rely on the rigor of your undergraduate institution for underperforming in your course work. Medical schools can easily fill classes with high performing students from rigorous schools without problem.

With regards to how rigor is viewed, three different adcoms (that I can remember) have answered this question in various threads throughout the years. The three different response are:

Lizzy M - it does matter (top 20, research, allopathic medical school);
GynGyn - it doesn't matter (I don't think she has stated anything about her school other than it is an allopathic program, I believe); and
Goro - it doesn't matter to him, but fellow members of his admissions committee have considered it for borderline applicants (osteopathic medical school).

So there you have it; it appears that the answer varies not only from school to school but even within admission committees!