Difficulty obtaining Pain Fellowship as a D.O. w/ACGME Neurology background?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlbinoHawk DO

An Osteopath
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would anyone be so kind as to comment on the difficulty of obtaining a Pain Fellowship as a DO that's ACGME trained in Neurology? I have basic science experience in Pain and intend to do a Pain rotation on 3rd and 4th year of medical school. Would the Neurology route be unwise?

Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Not difficult.

Many of the best pain physicians I know are DO.

Good mix and background for pain actually.

Near impossible. Neurology is a distant third in choosing candidates for fellowship. There may be some anto DO folks still out there. DO is good match for PMR. But programs pick Anes over everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seems both opinions are represented.

Would having the DO degree be in any way limiting? Or is it because of the Neurology background?

DO is fine. Neurology makes it more difficult. Pick the primary specialty you like best.

You're already gonna be a DO so don't bother worrying about it. As a med student I used to think that kind of thing mattered a lot, but as time goes by and I get further into my training I see it is less and less important, if at all. Bottom line: be a good doctor. As someone mentioned there may be some old timers w/ bias, but for the most part they are retiring/dying off.

If you like neuro, go for that. Residency is arduous. Better have a solid interest in what you're doing. Anes-based fellowships still like to take anes but a high quality candidate from another field is a boon to a training program, and many good programs know that. I think the trend has been towards accepting more non-anes. Who can say what will be happening in 6+ years? Or if you'll still be interested in pain in 6+ years.

You're already gonna be a DO so don't bother worrying about it. As a med student I used to think that kind of thing mattered a lot, but as time goes by and I get further into my training I see it is less and less important, if at all. Bottom line: be a good doctor. As someone mentioned there may be some old timers w/ bias, but for the most part they are retiring/dying off.

If you like neuro, go for that. Residency is arduous. Better have a solid interest in what you're doing. Anes-based fellowships still like to take anes but a high quality candidate from another field is a boon to a training program, and many good programs know that. I think the trend has been towards accepting more non-anes. Who can say what will be happening in 6+ years? Or if you'll still be interested in pain in 6+ years.
You're right about being a DO no matter what, but if I'm compounding to the fact that my background would be neurology, I' was going to think hard about PM&R. Ultimately, you're also correct that you have to do what you love because the road is tough.

Thank you for the feedback.

DO doesn't matter. Albino with a mohawk may raise some eyebrows though.

You're right about being a DO no matter what, but if I'm compounding to the fact that my background would be neurology, I' was going to think hard about PM&R. Ultimately, you're also correct that you have to do what you love because the road is tough.

Thank you for the feedback.
You should do PM&R.

It's like the cool stuff about neurology, the cool stuff about ortho (sports med), and you get to hang with all the hot physical therapists.

Reactions: 3 users
You should do PM&R.

It's like the cool stuff about neurology, the cool stuff about ortho (sports med), and you get to hang with all the hot physical therapists.
images

For Pain, DO either has no bearing or may be a slight advantage or disadvantage in some circumstances; either way there is little to worry about. The issue is neurology; not the best base specialty for launching into a pain fellowship. Anesthesia or PM&R would be ideal.