Difficulty of AAMC 10?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UpQuark

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Took as my first diagnostic and received a 29 with uneven distribution 10PS 7VR 12BS. I felt the PS and BS sections to be fairly easy but VR was pretty tough. How is this compared, in terms of difficulty, to the current MCAT

Members don't see this ad.

Took as my first diagnostic and received a 29 with uneven distribution 10PS 7VR 12BS. I felt the PS and BS sections to be fairly easy but VR was pretty tough. How is this compared, in terms of difficulty, to the current MCAT

Probably easier than the real deal.

I don't know if someone can say if it's "easier" objectively.

Taking the test at a Prometric test center is different than taking it at home. There's no pressure. You know it's a practice test.

AAMC 10 could be considered difficult. I will say this, if you're expecting the PS or BS to be like AAMC 10. Don't.

Expect more passage based, and longer calculations especially. This seems to be the trend lately.

As far as VR goes. I think VR across all the AAMC tests in terms of feel is the most representative of the exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
Let me just remind that you are being frightened by people waiting for their MCAT scores to come back. I am among that group. Yes the real test felt harder, however it has been repeated over and over again that the AAMCs are good predictors of your MCAT score. More likely than not you will score in your range. It probably won't feel like this after the test. But hopefully it will be just as true for you (and me) as it has been for most SDNers.

I don't know if someone can say if it's "easier" objectively.

Taking the test at a Prometric test center is different than taking it at home. There's no pressure. You know it's a practice test.

AAMC 10 could be considered difficult. I will say this, if you're expecting the PS or BS to be like AAMC 10. Don't.

Expect more passage based, and longer calculations especially. This seems to be the trend lately.

As far as VR goes. I think VR across all the AAMC tests in terms of feel is the most representative of the exam.

Longer calculations? 2 or three step versus 1 or just plain more difficult? Codeblu can you give an example...i mean, not one tested on your real one of course but maybe a good example? thnks cobeblu!

You could get a calculation-heavy PS. You could not. Overall, most of the questions are conceptual rather than rote calculation.

I took it on 1/29 and we had maybe 5 or 6 calculation questions. The rest were conceptual. It all depends on what kind of MCAT you get. If you take Kaplan or TPR, the calculations you find on those tests are far more complicated than those on the real thing. In most cases, the math simplifies and/or the answers are different orders of magnitude.

I scored a 32 on AAMC 10 and a 32 on the real MCAT. So it predicted my cumulative score 100%. 32 is an ok mark, itll get you in.

Longer calculations? 2 or three step versus 1 or just plain more difficult? Codeblu can you give an example...i mean, not one tested on your real one of course but maybe a good example? thnks cobeblu!

For example...

You have to solve for one variable, lets say x. Then that variable, plugs into another formula to give you the variable y. Generally y is what they're asking you for. But occasionally, they are mean and you have to calculate Z using both x and y.

I know this isn't a great example. But I would say some of the TPR hyperlearning questions definitely prepped me for this. I would also like to say that either you get completely screwed, or not on discrete questions. I remember this one electromagnetism one I had... effin took me 5 minutes to figure it out.