Difficulty of being a full-time MSW student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FlStudent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How difficult academically and time-restraining is a full-time MSW program? How hard it the 15 hrs per semester? How many undergrad hours would you figure its like to be a full load MSW student? I would like to know what its like or the "day in the life" of an MSW student if possible. More details the better :) Did you find time to work part-time as well?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Just my experience, hope it's helpful.

I found the coursework in my MSW program (top-ranked by the way) to be pretty easy. It was obvious they admitted some students who had to learn how to do basic research, how to write good papers, etc. I think I lucked out with a really great undergrad program in psych that taught me enough to do very well in my classes with little effort. However, it was frustrating to be unchallenged, and so I ended up doing a lot of reading on my own outside of school.

The field work wasn't too bad, we had to do 25 hours per week at that. I also had a part-time job to pay the bills and I still found time to have some fun with my friends.

Last edited:
I found my MSW program at a regional state school to be very challenging. I didn't think the academics were too strenuous, although I was pulling off 7-12 pg papers pretty frequently, and reading 300+ pg textbooks in 3 months. What was tough though, was doing the field work practicum (16 hours a week) on top of school. So if you're doing full time, it will take alot out of you. Also, I specifically found the relationship-building aspect of grad school tough. You have alot of attention from your professions of the program is reasonably small. And you make or break your efforts in grad school by your relationship with them. If you have a good or at least working relationship, you're good. If not... gotta work hard to estiblish those relationships, otherwise you'll be burning your bridges and failing faster than getting "Fs."

:idea: