Difficulty retaining information

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

With the massive amount of information required for the MCAT, what have you found to be helpful in retaining the information that you learn? One of the biggest struggles for me is that I will learn something--and understand it quite well-- but a week or two later I will have forgotten a big portion of it.

Since there's so much to know for the MCAT, it's impossible to be keeping tabs on everything everyday of the week, and I feel like each day I don't review some specific content, it seeps a little from my brain :(

Members don't see this ad.

You need to start relating things as patterns or "webs" as some call it. What this means is you actively learn everything, but you need to make associations in order to get them to stick. Learning individual concepts and keeping them independent is not only less efficient, it is more difficult. It's similar to a file cabinet. You find the drawer, then the folder, then the paper, then the paragraph, and finally the sentence. If you simply remember the drawer, you can find your way to the sentence eventually. Memorizing (what many call learning) every single sentence is much more difficult and time consuming.

Let me be clear: you will know every "sentence," but you will not memorize it. Once you get better at this style of learning, you will find that one read over will be sufficient for many types of classes.

I wish I would have had this style of learning before my MCAT, but I was just starting to use it as I began that treacherous journey. Now, however, I find that I am able to simply listen during class and maybe glance at a book (in Organic or Med A&P) and I'm perfectly okay with the web I've created in my mind.

It's not going to come instantly, but it's certainly the most efficient method I've come across. Some will say just flash card the crap out of the MCAT, and for some people it works. I didn't do that, though. I did only score a 31 (12/9/10), so it's not like my advice should be held above others. Just thought I'd give my 2 cents.

Reactions: 1 user
Forgetting-curve_3.jpg

Practice makes perfect

Reactions: 3 users
You need to start relating things as patterns or "webs" as some call it. What this means is you actively learn everything, but you need to make associations in order to get them to stick. Learning individual concepts and keeping them independent is not only less efficient, it is more difficult. It's similar to a file cabinet. You find the drawer, then the folder, then the paper, then the paragraph, and finally the sentence. If you simply remember the drawer, you can find your way to the sentence eventually. Memorizing (what many call learning) every single sentence is much more difficult and time consuming.

Let me be clear: you will know every "sentence," but you will not memorize it. Once you get better at this style of learning, you will find that one read over will be sufficient for many types of classes.

I wish I would have had this style of learning before my MCAT, but I was just starting to use it as I began that treacherous journey. Now, however, I find that I am able to simply listen during class and maybe glance at a book (in Organic or Med A&P) and I'm perfectly okay with the web I've created in my mind.

It's not going to come instantly, but it's certainly the most efficient method I've come across. Some will say just flash card the crap out of the MCAT, and for some people it works. I didn't do that, though. I did only score a 31 (12/9/10), so it's not like my advice should be held above others. Just thought I'd give my 2 cents.

Thank you for such thoughtful advice. My initials are HC so maybe it was meant to be :)

Members don't see this ad :)

Could you elaborate on this? This sounds very intriguing and I feel like I try to interconnect things when I can, but I still would like it if you could provide a short example to demonstrate your webbing learning :) Especially since you say you only need one review through organic or med A&P

Do you mean topics that you've already studied and thus don't need review, or things you were studying for the first time and had the web so ingrained that you didn't have to review further?

Could you elaborate on this? This sounds very intriguing and I feel like I try to interconnect things when I can, but I still would like it if you could provide a short example to demonstrate your webbing learning :) Especially since you say you only need one review through organic or med A&P

Do you mean topics that you've already studied and thus don't need review, or things you were studying for the first time and had the web so ingrained that you didn't have to review further?

I will do my best. Be warned, though, as I have tried and failed to do so before. Another fair warning: this way is not always the fastest for recall, as you spend some time tracking in your mind.

As far as reviewing vs. first time learning, this is a bit more difficult to answer. About 95% of Med A&P was a review class for me, and thus I could have probably not studied and been fine. Organic I was lucky enough to be somewhat of a natural at, as it plays to my strengths of finding patterns. Alas, here's an example:

This is what I did for the integumentary system during Med A&P (something I didn't cover during the MCAT). I watched the videos (Khan Academy; our class was basically online), took notes, and then looked over the notes once more. So, I now have seen the information two times in whole. This is important because I know I've seen the information. While I may not reflexively know it, I have seen it.

After this I actively think about which "boxes" or "folders" I can store the information and then utilize it. I created a couple of storage boxes in my head: epidermis, dermis, etc. Let's say the questions asks what's housed in the dermis. Okay, simple, I just open up the dermis box and look through it: this is just basic memorization. Now the question asks where the arrector pili muscle is. Here's where things get slow unless it just pops up (which now it does). However, I specifically remember during our quiz that day in my mind opening up my "epidermis folder" and not "seeing" anything. Next I went to my "dermis folder" and found it under the "reticular dermis heading."

Again, you can see how this is slow. To me, this is how you can "know" information without knowing it, if you catch my drift. I use it as a way to help myself become more familiar with a subject. To me, it feels as if I'm reviewing notes, except it's better because I'm making myself recall the information without the aid of notes (which sometimes just results in staring and not comprehending). Eventually, like all learning, it begins to just be a reflex. Now I just know that's where that specific muscle is located.

I should also state that I have lately (within the past 5 months) developed a sort of semi-photographic memory. I attribute this to the web style of learning...

NOTE: I'm not trying to suggest this style of learning was created by me. I'm not of unique intelligence. This is just my way of making learning a bit easier for me. I can guarantee there are people far smarter than I simply reviewing notes and doing well.

Reactions: 1 users
If you can do 6-9 total thousand problems (discrete and passage based) before your exam, I can almost guarantee that remembering the information will not be an issue. This may seem like a lot of questions to do but it's only hard in the beginning. If you consistently do 50 problems a day for 3 months (90 days), that equates to exactly 4,500 problems. The last month (or 30 days) are the most efficient since all of the concepts have been seen multiple times before. For this month you should be averaging 75 problems a day so that'll get you even closer to the 6K problems. Keep in mind that I recommend 4 months to study, so if you really do 50 problems a day, getting to the 6K month is not so difficult.

As others have said: you won't remember something you're not using. In the case of the MCAT, doing practice problems is the only way you'll use what you've learned. This is why practice problems are so heavily emphasized in MCAT preparation.

As others have said: you won't remember something you're not using. In the case of the MCAT, doing practice problems is the only way you'll use what you've learned. This is why practice problems are so heavily emphasized in MCAT preparation.
+1 learned this the hard way.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I'm a little bit old fashioned in my way of learning, but what I did was make condensed study guides for myself. I took notes during my content review and once I got through all the material, I used my notes and the MCAT AAMC outlines to create a 10-12 page study guide of the major equations, concepts, etc. for each subject. I feel this method works better for the physical sciences rather than bio, though. I actually didn't make a study guide for bio since I was already pretty familiar with the information. I reviewed my study guides again and again the last days leading up to the exam. By that time, I had also already done plenty of practice, so I was totally familiar with how to apply and use all the information.
The study guides allowed me to organize the information so I could have instant recall on the actual exam. I not as fast of a thinker as some other people, so the ability to remember things within a couple miliseconds really made a difference for me when I was answering the questions. I ended up getting a 36 (12/12/12) on the actual thing, which was actually my high score on the practice exams. So for me, my method worked pretty well.

Thanks for the advice. I think repetition is key but there is so much time in the day and in med school there will be no time to see things 4-5 times so efficient studying becomes more important. Content then MCAT then back to content if I missed something science related works best for me.

You're worrying too much about every little detail. You need to get through content review and start hammering out passages. Review all answers as to why you got them right or wrong, and that's where you'll learn the most. You'll be surprised of how much you actually remember from your content review, and then use your wrong answers to brush up on your weaknesses. Re-read the subject matter if needed, but it's important to not spend TOO much time on your initial content review.