Difficulty with AuD externship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HereKitty

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone else has had difficulty with their externship sites.
I am getting good clinical experiences, but personally, I am not meshing well with the other audiologists. While my skills in the clinic have not been so much critiqued, it seems that I have consistent difficulty writing reports the way they like them and using the wording they like. Furthermore, I have gotten calls from patients looking for test results and they are sitting on the desks of the people who are supposed to sign off on them for weeks - and then I'm getting admonished for not telling them about any time sensitivity.

I feel very depressed, like nothing I do there is correct and it's making me doubt my skills and ability, which in turn makes it harder for me to trust myself and make good decisions. I have a lot of anxiety regarding my placement. I have not had any of the criticisms they give me in school or with other clinical placements. I have been there for about 8 months, but these issues have been coming up regularly for longer. I have meetings with my supervisors and I try to follow their example or instructions on clerical things to the letter, but it doesn't seem to work out. I'm also worried that when I am done, that they will not want to recommend me for any employment opportunities. Has anyone else had this experience before? Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Not me but a good friend of mine had a very similar problem. Im not sure how it works with your school, but with us, we have an externship coordinator. She is one of our professors and works with the externship sites with all the paperwork. We have a meeting with her every 2-4 weeks via skype. Is there anyone from your university you can talk to? Any of your clinical faculty from your first 3 yrs that you can confide in?

I am having the EXACT same issue! It is incredibly frustrating, and makes what is supposed to be a positive experience VERY NEGATIVE. I went to my professor, who is out placement coordinator and discussed my concerns. He first assured me not to feel bad for coming to him because we are supposed to be enjoying our last year.He gave me a few good options, and I plan on looking into them to see what will work out best for me. I would suggest you do the same. Go to your coordinator and tell how you feel. Not only will it make you feel better, but it also covers you in case they try to say something about you later.

Thanks for the suggestions! I am a little bit worried that if I go to my coordinator that they will contact my site and it may blow up in my face and make things worse. . .I am also nervous what they would say about me . .