Diffuculty of FMGs getting residencies in the states. Need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

Shania

I havent looked into foreign medical schools too much but I've heard that it is difficult to get a residency in the states if you want to pracitice here. For anyone who has graduated from a foregn school and is practicing, what sort of obstacles are there to praciticing here as a FMG? Are they looking for higher scores on the boards as compared to US grads? Are there extra exams you have to take? Overall, do you think its worth it going to a foreign med school and preparing to pracitice here?
I just need some things to think about if I do decide I want to attend a forign school. How do I know which foreign schools are better than others in order to get a residency here in the states?

Any help would be great. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Shania: In the correction I just posted I gave the general requirements for licensure of FMGs. You also have to do a residency, which at present is possible. But the availability of residencies varies. In some areas of medicine, there are more available than can be filled. In others, it is a tight market. On the whole, graduates of US medical schools have an advantage in obtaining the more desirable positions most in demand.

------------------