Digestive enzymes of Small Intestine vs. Pancreas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Transformers

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but I keep getting mixed up...What enzymes are secreted from the pancreas vs. the small intestine? I know the SI secretes enteropeptidase to initiate the , but what are the brush border enzymes? What does the pancreas secrete besides chymo/trypsinogens + nucleases? I think the confusion comes in with categorizing which secretes amino and carboxypeptidases and which secretes certain disacchardises because I dont think the pancreas secretes allt he disaccharides and peptidases but rather specific compounds.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry, but I keep getting mixed up...What enzymes are secreted from the pancreas vs. the small intestine? I know the SI secretes enteropeptidase to initiate the , but what are the brush border enzymes? What does the pancreas secrete besides chymo/trypsinogens + nucleases? I think the confusion comes in with categorizing which secretes amino and carboxypeptidases and which secretes certain disacchardises because I dont think the pancreas secretes allt he disaccharides and peptidases but rather specific compounds.

Thanks.

Pancreatic enzymes (in zymogen form): trypsinogen, chymotrypsinogen, procarboxypeptidase, procollagenase, and other lipases and nucleases. Just remember that the pancrease has enzymes to hydrolyze every type of macromolecule.

SI: enterogastrones such as cholecystokinin and secretin.

That's all I can think of for now.

Pancreatic enzymes (in zymogen form): trypsinogen, chymotrypsinogen, procarboxypeptidase, procollagenase, and other lipases and nucleases. Just remember that the pancrease has enzymes to hydrolyze every type of macromolecule.

SI: enterogastrones such as cholecystokinin and secretin.

That's all I can think of for now.

CCK, Enterogasterone, and secretin are hormones not enzymes

The SI enzymes are brush border enzymes and enterokinease

Yup, CCK, secretin, etc. are hormones that, for example, stimulate secretion of pancreatic enzymes/fluids, bile, etc.

Brush border enzymes are enzymes that finish the digestive process by breaking down, for example, tripeptides (which were the result of the digestion of proteins) into amino acids; such enzymes exist for peptides, carbohydrates, etc. Enterokinase is another very important brush border enzyme. Without enterokinase, trypsinogen cannot be activated and since trypsin activates the other pancreatic enzymes, lack of enterokinase affects all the pancreatic enzymes.