Dilemma-Advice needed for applying this summer.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vaenil

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I'm planning to apply to schools this summer, either early decision (PTCAS materials received deadline: August 15) or round one (PTCAS materials received deadline: October 1st).

I already have my bachelors, however, I'm planning on taking four prerequisite courses this summer: Gen Psych, Developmental Psych, Statistics, and Physics II. But there's a possibility that that my school won't post summer grades until September 20th. This would lead to completely missing the early decision deadline, and cutting it super close to the October deadlines.

So here are my choices, and I'd appreciate your feedback on my situation:

1) Send in my transcripts from the spring, with my four summer courses outstanding. (Does anyone have experience sending updated transcripts from summer/fall semesters directly to schools?)

2) Take statistics and developmental psychology with American Public University, an online, for-profit school, and be able to make both deadlines with only two prerequisites outstanding. (In it's defense, it's accredited by a legit regional accreditor.)

I'm hoping there are people here who may have insight on issues like the legitimacy of using for-profit, online schools for prerequisites, and whether having four outstanding prerequisite courses is really bad.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I graduated from apu and I am also taking statistics currently at apu. It is totally legitimate but just in case I would call the schools you are interested in. I found over 20 programs that don't mind. I didn't know they had developmental psy? Whats the course number?

I graduated from apu and I am also taking statistics currently at apu. It is totally legitimate but just in case I would call the schools you are interested in. I found over 20 programs that don't mind. I didn't know they had developmental psy? Whats the course number?

Sorry, I meant Adult Development. The schools I'm applying to only want either a "second level psychology" or a "psychology in a specific field." Though, I do know some schools specifically look for lifespan/developmental psychology, that wasn't what I meant.

Anyway, thanks for the reply, I'll make a couple calls, and I'm leaning towards taking the classes online.

I applied to schools as soon as the application opened up even though I had outstanding prerequisites. I had 3 to 4 prerequisites (physics I & II, human physiology, and and 1 or 2 other courses depending on the school) that I was going to take in the fall and am taking now. I was also in the middle of taking 3 summer courses. I sent my transcripts before I finished the summer classes. You will do the academic update in the winter so your schools will be able to see your grades then, but with the other classes you've already taken they should have a good idea of how you will do in the courses anyway. I had 4 interviews and have been accepted into one program; however, I did not go for early decision because I knew my application wasn't strong enough. So, all in all, apply when you want to (early decision or not), but I don't think it's too big of a deal to apply without all your prerequisites done. Schools will expect some students to still be in school and thus finishing up some requirements.

Hope this helps! Good luck.