Dilemma between Case PPSP and Wayne State Medstart

med2go

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to both Wayne State Medstart and Case PPSP.
- I have a full ride (tuition, dorm, board, books) at Wayne while I have a scholarship at Case I still have to spend about $130K for UG.
- Case has no MCAT requirement for PPSP student while at Medstart I have to take MCAT and score a minimum 30. The idea of taking MCAT appeals to me as Wayne is a non-binding one and I can apply out after 4 years.
- Wayne will be close to home while Case is 3 hours away (I will be staying in dorm in both cases).
- Case campus seems better than Wayne and possibly safer
- Case med school is ranked way higher than Wayne (but will also cost higher).

Would appreciate any helpful suggestions... I know it is up to me to make the final decision but any insight will help me

Members don't see this ad.

I have been accepted to both Wayne State Medstart and Case PPSP.
- I have a full ride (tuition, dorm, board, books) at Wayne while I have a scholarship at Case I still have to spend about $130K for UG.
- Case has no MCAT requirement for PPSP student while at Medstart I have to take MCAT and score a minimum 30. The idea of taking MCAT appeals to me as Wayne is a non-binding one and I can apply out after 4 years.
- Wayne will be close to home while Case is 3 hours away (I will be staying in dorm in both cases).
- Case campus seems better than Wayne and possibly safer
- Case med school is ranked way higher than Wayne (but will also cost higher).

Would appreciate any helpful suggestions... I know it is up to me to make the final decision but any insight will help me

Stopped reading here. Take this to the bank. $130k for a bachelor's degree?? Do you realize how much money that is? That's outrageous. Add that to med school tuition (could be pushing $250 incl. living expenses) and you're looking at a principal of $300K+ which is absurd. That would be the worst idea ever.

Take the Wayne program. Don't spend an outrageous amount of money on undergrad.... it's not worth it.

I assume that you are a Michigan resident. If so, then MedStart would be the better choice. Although the medical school is $30.5k a year (just for tuition and fees) and is one of the most expensive state schools in the country, the full ride for undergrad mitigates those costs. If you can manage to stay at home for medical school at Wayne, you'd be just shelling out ~$150k (including transport, misc. expenses, etc.) for 8 years worth of education, which is pretty good considering that 4 of those years are medical school years. (even if you want to apply out, you may realize that WSUSOM is a good option, so don't rule out attending there for medical school).

If you are out of state for MedStart, then take PPSP. WSUSOM's tuition and fees for out of state students is ridiculous and the free undergrad won't make up for that.