Dilemma - dropping a course?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vee9

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
What do optometry schools think of students dropping one course? The dropped course wouldn't appear on my transcript. If I dropped a course, I would only end up with 4 but would taking 2 courses over the summer have helped?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about it. They'd rather see a withdraw from a course followed up by an A in the course rather than a C and no withdraw. However, be prepared to explain why you withdrew (they may ask).

Personally, I withdrew from some classes because they were just too big. In a class of 500 students it's nearly impossible to get any individual attention from the teacher if you have questions about the material.

Hi,
Thanks for your reply. Wouldn't the schools care that I am taking 4 courses instead of the 5 courses? I know that here in Canada, 4 courses still counts as a full-time student. However, most of the optometry schools look for 5 because the workload is pretty rigorous.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
Thanks for your reply. Wouldn't the schools care that I am taking 4 courses instead of the 5 courses? I know that here in Canada, 4 courses still counts as a full-time student. However, most of the optometry schools look for 5 because the workload is pretty rigorous.
i wouldn't worry about it. i took several part time semesters (it took me 7 yrs to graduate) and i got accepted. i did, however, work full time and had a lot of volunteer and extracurriculars

I am very anxious because this will be the first time I'll be dropping a course and knowing that I can start writing my OAT this summer just adds onto the pressure!

Also, were you accepted by an American or Canadian school? I don't know if that will make a difference. I have contacted Waterloo but they take quite a while to respond.