Directed Research Course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psych844

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

So I was hoping this would be my last year of undergrad, but may have to come back an additional year just to do my thesis (I would be finished all other requirements). Is that even common or normal? But do to how things worked out with transfer credit, i didn't get a chance to finish a couple pre-req's, and at our Uni anyways the thesis is a full year thing. (sept to April) Ie you have to get pre-req's done before Sept.

In any case, I may have a chance to do a directed research course set-up and supervised by a prof..would some programs consider that an equivalent?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know how common it is to have to come back just for an undergrad thesis, but I'd be surprised if it hasn't happened at least a few times.

That being said, a thesis is likely going to be more impressive overall than a directed research course, although there are a few factors that would also come into play. Foremost, these would include how much other research experience you have, how much control/say you have over the study on which you work for the directed course (more is generally always better), and if you're able to garner some sort of research product (e.g., a poster) out of the directed research course.

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of programs in their admission page have a statement that goes along the lines of "You require an Honors psychology degree or equivalent". I was never clear on what would be considered an equivalent. I guess it is very dependent on program? For some it may be a co-authored paper? for some a course i'm considering taking? etc?

Are you in Canada (or looking at Canadian programs)? I've never seen that statement for any US school as there really isn't any such thing as an "honors degree" here - at least that is meaningful across institutions. I'd assume it is a distinction between the two systems...so a US bachelor's (4 years) would be equivalent and accepted but a Canadian (non-honors) 3-year bachelor's would not be accepted.

Are you in Canada (or looking at Canadian programs)? I've never seen that statement for any US school as there really isn't any such thing as an "honors degree" here - at least that is meaningful across institutions. I'd assume it is a distinction between the two systems...so a US bachelor's (4 years) would be equivalent and accepted but a Canadian (non-honors) 3-year bachelor's would not be accepted.

Yes, Canadian programs! I was told that when ours say Honors, it means that you did an undergrad thesis..while a Major in Psych is without one.

Ahh, well then--your best bet will just be to email the programs in question and ask them.
Just to clarify, though. Do USA programs generally not expect that the undergrad included a thesis? do they just care that you got research experience somehow?

Just to clarify, though. Do USA programs generally not expect that the undergrad included a thesis? do they just care that you got research experience somehow?

It's not an assumption/typical expectation, no. Whether or not most applicants for US programs have completed one, I'm not sure, but I don't know that I've ever seen it listed as a requirement.

To answer the second question--yes, typically the biggest concern is whether or not you have research experience (and how much/what type), not whether you've completed an undergrad thesis.

Almost all Canadian programs require an honours degree, and you will likely be at a significant disadvantage when applying if you don't have one. Unless you happen to get a masters first, in which case it might not matter as much.

As for whether it is normal to complete an extra year just to do a thesis I would say yes. At least half of my honours class, myself included, had completed all other program requirement except the thesis.