Director ? - Colleague With Grammar Errors in EMR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docB

Chronically painful
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an HR question for the directors out there.

EMRs give us a lot of downsides but they do let us create some shortcuts to enter verbiage that tends to be repeated on every chart. Lets say you have a colleague who speaks English as a second language and they have incorporated some shortcuts into their charting that have grammar and syntax errors. These don't make the chart indecipherable but they do make it harder to read. These errors are included in the vast majority of this colleague's charts.

How do you approach this? Do you touch it at all? Do it informally and hope it doesn't blow up or do it formally to protect yourself?

Members don't see this ad.

I have an HR question for the directors out there.

EMRs give us a lot of downsides but they do let us create some shortcuts to enter verbiage that tends to be repeated on every chart. Lets say you have a colleague who speaks English as a second language and they have incorporated some shortcuts into their charting that have grammar and syntax errors. These don't make the chart indecipherable but they do make it harder to read. These errors are included in the vast majority of this colleague's charts.

How do you approach this? Do you touch it at all? Do it informally and hope it doesn't blow up or do it formally to protect yourself?

I'm not sure what formal measure you would take (other than put a note in the file regarding counseled doc re: documentation) but I would have a talk with the doc. If you think it's going to be an issue, it will be an issue. As you've probably discovered, in the absence of clear, easily understood documentation the assumption is that the EP screwed up. I'd probably give the doc an opportunity to play it off like they rushed through setting up their templates and offer to assist with correcting them if they want (which they'll refuse but should result in the shortcuts being fixed). I'd monitor for improvement and have another talk in a couple of weeks to either give congratulations or have a more formalized counseling session.

I'm not a director, but I've seen the same with co-workers. I've just had a chat with them in a very non-threatening way, and sometimes even humorous. We all make typos and grammatical errors, so sharing a few of your own funny mistakes might help as well. The person might not even notice that there's an error in their template b/c it's probably out of sight/out of mind once it's been completed.