Disability USA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Excellent program. Quote of the night:

Marilyn Zahm: If the American public knew what was going on in our system, half would be outraged and the other half would apply for benefits.

After watching the program last night, I tried to think of one of my patients who is on disability
who is actually"disabled".....Other than than Bipolar ones, I could not think of one

Members don't see this ad :)
After watching the program last night, I tried to think of one of my patients who is on disability
who is actually"disabled".....Other than than Bipolar ones, I could not think of one

Bipolar shouldn't qualify for disability in 95% of cases.

They shouldn't be hired for the CIA (Homeland), but there are plenty of menial jobs they could handle.

They shouldn't be hired for the CIA (Homeland), but there are plenty of menial jobs they could handle.
The problem is that Americans think they are too good for menial jobs. Getting govt cheese makes them feel like independent business people. Like contractors or something,

One of my old classmates has ALS; he's trached, on a vent, and paralyzed except his eyes and his left index finger. He continues to work (advertising), although he's scaled back to part-time. In a world where it is possible to remain employed just by moving one's eyes around and blinking, who among my patients can really say that they are unable to work any job due to their medical condition?

ever work with someone who is truly bipolar?

after you do, you will have a different opinion of their "ability" to work.

The problem is that Americans think they are too good for menial jobs. Getting govt cheese makes them feel like independent business people. Like contractors or something,

exactly. americans think they are "exceptional". i wonder where they get these ideas?

ever work with someone who is truly bipolar?

after you do, you will have a different opinion of their "ability" to work.

they cant work on an assembly line? pick tomatoes? clean the floors?

you dont necessarily have to work directly with others.

between the missed days, late arrivals, wildly altering mood swings, special accomodations that are required, etc. you wouldnt believe the stress it puts on everyone else.

trust me, i am all for work. i just wouldnt want to ever again work with someone who is bipolar.

between the missed days, late arrivals, wildly altering mood swings, special accomodations that are required, etc. you wouldnt believe the stress it puts on everyone else.

trust me, i am all for work. i just wouldnt want to ever again work with someone who is bipolar.

WORK with them, I dont want to be on MESSAGEBOARD with them, wait yes i do. No, i mean no i dont. wait, lets just see tomorrow.

What about date one!!? Er wait, I think she had borderline personality d/o now that I think of it... hypersexual, insecure, manipulative, pathological liar, fear of abandonment... ahh sorry, I thought I was on my relational counseling forum. I digress, back to pain

What about date one!!? Er wait, I think she had borderline personality d/o now that I think of it... hypersexual, insecure, manipulative, pathological liar, fear of abandonment... ahh sorry, I thought I was on my relational counseling forum. I digress, back to pain

The first two and the last one may not be bad, the other two can be problamatic..

Members don't see this ad :)

What about being HIRED by one!?

Maybe for YOU it's funny! For me, it's just another day at the office. ;)

I used to do intake psychosocial assessments at a for-profit psychiatric hospital. We generally catered to the Medicaid/Medicare population, most of whom were severe chronic drug addicts clearly in need of detox/rehab--yet we always found some creative (or fraudulent) way to manipulate the clinical information so they could meet criteria for inpatient psych LOC. (And so the hospital could make tons of money by billing whichever ever public assistance program happened to manage the patients' care.)

Anyway, we had droves of young patients (early 20s to mid-40s) who were on SSI ("total" disability) for a ludicrous variety of nonsensical etiologies. As part of my assessment, whenever I noticed that any young, healthy-looking person of working age was covered Medicare, I invariably asked each of them the same question, "What is your disability." This is a very legitimate question--and let me tell you, the answers people come up with speak volumes!

Over half of them had absolutely no idea whatsoever about the identity and/or the nature of their documented medical condition(s) which qualified them as disabled.

And even more disturbing.....I'd estimate that close to 25% of them had never even realized that, in fact, they were indeed suffering from a "disability"! (I had to bite my tongue every time one of these patients rudely hastened to dismiss my question, usually with a stank attitude and an indignant outburst along the lines of, "I ain't got no f-ing disability!"). For the sake of clarity, I always took my time to clearly inform them that they were mistaken, and to point out that, by virtue of the fact that they had already been a long-term Medicare recipient by the age of 26, they were considered ipso facto to be officially and severely disabled.

Who knew that a low-speed fender bender, which took place seven years ago in a parking lot, could have such devastating permanent effects on both the mind and body? Go figure...

Last edited:
One of my old classmates has ALS; he's trached, on a vent, and paralyzed except his eyes and his left index finger. He continues to work (advertising), although he's scaled back to part-time. In a world where it is possible to remain employed just by moving one's eyes around and blinking, who among my patients can really say that they are unable to work any job due to their medical condition?
We had a quadriplegic employee working full time in an administrative office at our hospital. What a wonderful and inspiration man he was!

I frequently brought his courageous story to the attention of my annoyingly dramatic patients waiting in the admissions area. You know the type: complaining of depression/anxiety/ADHD/lower back pain/fibromyalgia/migraines (but really suffering from drug addiction and perhaps something on Cluster B), while they alternate back-and-forth between crying hysterically in the middle of the main entry hallway, and furiously shouting obscenities into the assessment room phone at the top of their lungs toward some unfortunate person, and of course intermittently pounding on my office door with all their might (while I'm on the phone trying to obtain a precert from their Medicaid HOM), to express their urgent demands for the largest possible amounts of oxycodone and Xanax to be administered ASAP-- because of their "broken back" and severe anxiety.

It was usually approximately around that time when I chose to bring up my paralyzed friend/coworker, whom I am quite certain has complained far less during his entire life than a patient like this can accomplish during one busy overnight shift in the admissions department.

Last edited:
they cant work on an assembly line? pick tomatoes? clean the floors?

you dont necessarily have to work directly with others.
Well, of course they can't!

None of them are capable of bending over, due to all of the intractable back pain resulting from their numerous minor car accidents over the years.

I just read the boyscout leader who pushed over the 300 million year old 1 ton rock in UT last week had just filed for permanent disability....

I just read the boyscout leader who pushed over the 300 million year old 1 ton rock in UT last week had just filed for permanent disability....

And we only hear about the really extraordinary, decadent cases where people upload youtube videos about how they are screwing the system.

I would like an investigation of 100 people on disability to see how much is fraud. But even if 99% is fraud, would it change anything?