Disadvantage in applying late

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

polkman789

Reaction score
9A47D619-2C3A-4838-AC22-3E0E37E5B892.jpeg

So I found this kind of interesting,
For Umich, there were 5751 applicants that applied in June/July, of these, 399 got invited, so a ~7% interview invite rate.

There were 2122 applicants that applied in August, of those, 44 got interviews, leaving a ~2% interview invite rate.

I know it's just one school, but still goes to show how much of a difference applying early makes.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
However, the early applicants and late applicants aren't necessarily similar. It may be that the late applicants are weaker, too, as a group thus resulting in fewer interviews. People who know what they are doing and are well prepared apply early. Those that don't, well... how would you assess them as prospective medical students?

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
However, the early applicants and late applicants aren't necessarily similar. It may be that the late applicants are weaker, too, as a group thus resulting in fewer interviews. People who know what they are doing and are well prepared apply early. Those that don't, well... how would you assess them as prospective medical students.
That’s definitely true on average, I agree.

Members don't see this ad :)
The date of application isn't the same as the complete date though right? Or is it assumed you're going to be complete in the same month that you apply?

Reactions: 1 user
The date of application isn't the same as the complete date though right? Or is it assumed you're going to be complete in the same month that you apply?
The graphic suggested that they are going by the date the application was received f(rom AMCAS), not necessarily when the file was complete (with secondaries or MCAT).

Yes I have done internal analysis that early submitted applications have higher metrics than those that are submitted later. It becomes very noticeable by September/October. So the early applicants really set the bar for all applications coming after them.

Reactions: 2 users
The graphic suggested that they are going by the date the application was received f(rom AMCAS), not necessarily when the file was complete (with secondaries or MCAT).

Yes I have done internal analysis that early submitted applications have higher metrics than those that are submitted later. It becomes very noticeable by September/October. So the early applicants really set the bar for all applications coming after them.
I'm glad that someone has looked at the data and verified empirically what seemed logical to me.

Reactions: 2 users