Disadvantage of nonATC PT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lee9786

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wonder how much of a disadvantage a PT is with an undergrad other than ATC for orthopedic PT positions. Would it be true to state that PTs that aren't also an ATC will always be less marketable than PTs that aren't ATCs in the orthopedic setting? Could PT certifications make up for this lack of undergrad experience?

Members don't see this ad.

It's only a disadvangtage if you want to work with teams on the sidelines. ATC's get schooled in acute injury management and are experts in sideline management. However, They are now starting to find their way into ortho MD/sports med practices as physician extenders.

Thus, there is some disadvantage, but most PTs don't want to work the sidelines anyways. The SCS will do just fine for those who can't go back for more school for an ATC.

I wonder how much of a disadvantage a PT is with an undergrad other than ATC for orthopedic PT positions. Would it be true to state that PTs that aren't also an ATC will always be less marketable than PTs that aren't ATCs in the orthopedic setting? Could PT certifications make up for this lack of undergrad experience?

I'm aware of a lot of D-I programs that have PT's on staff, but they all seem to be ATC, PT. I think it would only be an advantage in some settings like sports or a clinic that did outreach to local schools.

As MinnDasota, states, ATC's are finding their way into a number of interesting roles as physician extenders and in some states are making ground with regards to reimbursement....Vermont comes to mind.

I would think that having the ATC would be helpful in orthopedic PT positions, but I suspect that most PT's working in ortho PT don't have an ATC background.

My experience with employers is that hiring the right person is more important than hiring them for the letters after their name.

Thanks for your responses. I've been looking into outpatient, orthopedics. I am fascinated about the concepts of manipulation/mobilization and am looking more into this.