Disadvantaged Status on AADSAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theBoost

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am very new to the forums on student doctor and a WVU dental hopeful. I was filling in my AADSAS app and was wondering if being a 1st generation College student would be considered as a disadvantaged applicant. The first in my family tree to get formal education was my uncle who went on to become a general surgeon, and I have another uncle whom is an engineer. As far as my father and grandfather, however, never completed college. Perhaps it is important to note that my father immigrated from Syria when he was my age (22). Thank you all in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

http://www.adea.org/dental_educatio...ralInstructions/Pages/DisadvantageStatus.aspx

"You are welcome to provide any information and describe any background experiences that may have put you at an educational, social, or economic disadvantage as you prepare to apply to dental schools."

I personally didn't, even though my family combined yearly income was under $50,000. Based on what this says though, it's pretty much your call. I would only suggest putting that down if you can elaborate on it in an interview- as in, say how it has helped you prepare to be a better dentist.

hope that helps!

Can I send the application and later write the essay for that part?