Disadvantaged Status?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Joshua Ang

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I was wondering if someone could look at my disadvantaged status essay. After writing it and reading it over and over again, I feel like it is not very good. Either that or I'm not very disadvantaged. I just wanted to get another opinion.

Essay:
A nurturing family is one of the most important things a child needs when growing up. However, at the age of three years old, I was deprived of that nurturing environment. My mother and father had gotten a divorce at around this time. After the divorce, I never saw my father again. My mother was born in Malaysia so English was not her first language. Therefore, even with a college education, it was difficult for her to find a job. Eventually, she landed a job as a correctional officer, a job which only requires a high school diploma. My father had received the house and the car in the divorce settlement so my mother had to search for a new house and a find new mode of transportation. The financial burden was made even greater when my aunt, an immigrant from Malaysia, came to America and needed a place to stay. At the time, she did not work because she could not receive a work visa. As a result, my mother had to work other jobs, such as cleaning houses to support our family. I spent most of my time with my aunt or other babysitters as a child. As I grew older, my mother was able to get a better handle on the financial situation and she eventually remarried when I was eleven years old. However, my step-father at the time had a lot of hidden debt that my mother was unaware of. Financial troubles started rearing their head once again and my mother separated from my step-father after three years of marriage.

Members don't see this ad.

Well since you asked for feedback...
Its too long and doesn't say much. What I got from it is that "I was poor growing up and my parents got divorced." Further, it is my personal opinion that people who use the disadvantage status are putting themselves in a spotlight. If I were an AdCom reading and I saw this, I would say to myself "ok, he was not very wealthy growing up. Neither is most of America. His parents got divorced. So does half of America. Why is he more disadvantaged than the plurality of Americans? Is he just trying to get an unfair advantage in the crazy world of pre-med admissions?" In short, I would think you're not really disadvantaged and trying to gain an unfair edge. But, I'm from middle class America, so.

Reactions: 1 user
My parents divorced when I was three and my mother supported the two of us with a job as a correctional officer and later supplemented her income cleaning houses. My mother's sister came from Malaysia to live with us and look after me while my mother worked. My mother remarried when I was 11 but the marriage didn't last and she was divorced again 3 years later.

I'm not feeling the "disadvantaged" part of this story... your mom had a hard life as an immigrant and was unlucky in love but she had you and she had a sister who was supportive in helping to raise you in America. Don't make this a pity party -- I've seen this backfire too many times.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with LizzyM, there are hundreds of divorces every year. What makes you think yours is special enough to warrant a status? Your mom was disadvantaged, you are perfectly fine

Had you been In a freak car accident and had both your arms and legs amputated, your dad molested you, then divorced your mom.... That would be a disadvantaged status

Considering most medical school matriculants come from families of wealthy professionals, I think this warrants disadvantaged which is exactly why I applied as it. Well see if it makes a difference but I definately am happy I did. http://01f21cf.netsolhost.com/admissions_income_quintile.htm heres a pretty informative article too written by an MD.