Disappointment in Match 2012?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ukdoc74

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Only one person at my program got his #1. All the residents matched many fell low on their ranklist. Our Heme/Onc PD told me that there were more applicants this year compare to the past and more competitive.

Wonder what the applicants and or GutOnc think about this.

It appears Heme/Onc competition has gone up very fast lately.

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

The person that matched their #1 was a MD/PhD

Anyone know the data for the match (how many applicants and how many US applicants, etc)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep, 0/5 at my program matching at the top choice. (In fact no one went higher than 3rd choice.) It seems like there were a lot of applicants from some of the big name IM programs, who filled up more spots at the top heme/onc programs than in a typical year.

Wasn't this year the year 2 classes matched since they changed the fellowship match system?

Yep, 0/5 at my program matching at the top choice. (In fact no one went higher than 3rd choice.) It seems like there were a lot of applicants from some of the big name IM programs, who filled up more spots at the top heme/onc programs than in a typical year.

From the trail, heard the following:
-- UPENN had ~20 PGY-3s applying for hem/onc!
-- Cornell had ~10 applying for hem/onc

From the trail, heard the following:
-- UPENN had ~20 PGY-3s applying for hem/onc!
-- Cornell had ~10 applying for hem/onc

From us future applicants, son of a *****!

My home PD said this was the most competitive year for Heme/Onc. The applicants apparently were extremely strong. With the salaries of Heme Onc posted all over the Internet and much easier lifestyle compared to Cardiology and GI, the level of competition has intensified.

Plus fellowship life is much easier in Heme/Onc compared to IM residency. Cardiology and GI Fellowships are sweat shop labor.

I wonder if this is just a reflection of the new fellowship cycle and more applicants applying. I hope things return to normal in the next couple years.

Am I missing something?

It seems to me the people that matched this December would have matched as PGY2s in May 2012 in the old system.

I just don't see how this could have increased the number of applicants since the PGY3s that matched this month would have matched 6 months earlier in the previous system.

Am I missing something?

It seems to me the people that matched this December would have matched as PGY2s in May 2012 in the old system.

I just don't see how this could have increased the number of applicants since the PGY3s that matched this month would have matched 6 months earlier in the previous system.

In all other specialties, program directors have said that applications have actually gone down because of the new cycle.

Who knows? The number of US grads in the match this year was about the exact same in most IM sub-specialties as the last cycle. But that does not account for people possibly dropping out prior to registering for the match, and does not account for exactly how competitive the applicants were. (Residents who saw their peers had significantly better CVs may have opted to wait out this cycle.)

Actually if you look at the December 5, 2012 fellowship statistics in this link.

http://www.nrmp.org/fellow/match_name/msmp/stats.html

484 applicants matched

and

201 applicants DID not match in Heme/Onc.

201 unmatched applicants seem like a very competitive specialty to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually if you look at the December 5, 2012 fellowship statistics in this link.

http://www.nrmp.org/fellow/match_name/msmp/stats.html

484 applicants matched

and

201 applicants DID not match in Heme/Onc.

201 unmatched applicants seem like a very competitive specialty to me.

How many of the unmatched were FMG or DO as compared to AMG? That may be a more telling story.

Also, I know there may not be a place to find this, but it would be interesting to see how many matched at their home institution versus on outside spot.

How many of the unmatched were FMG or DO as compared to AMG? That may be a more telling story.

Also, I know there may not be a place to find this, but it would be interesting to see how many matched at their home institution versus on outside spot.

FMG or DO status doesn't matter once you do residency. An FMG from a top twenty residency program trumps an AMG from a top 50 University program. It is all about how much research you have in Heme/Onc. There are applicants from top fifty university programs that did not match because of not going on enough interviews and/or not doing any heme/onc research.

FWIW, I am an AMG from a University program that did not match into Heme/Onc. PM me if you have any questions.

What is fellowship based on?

For residency, you have objective numbers like grades, Step scores, and then obviously LORs/research/med school name.

For fellowship, is it largely based on residency name, research, and LORs only?

What is fellowship based on?

For residency, you have objective numbers like grades, Step scores, and then obviously LORs/research/med school name.

For fellowship, is it largely based on residency name, research, and LORs only?

No. We still use Step scores and med school grades, just not as exclusively as people do for residency. Now that you have a couple of years under your belt as a doctor, your performance in that setting is considered more highly.

I will also say that residency and med school name made some difference but it was more the "trajectory" that we looked at. If you went to a Top X med school and then wound up at a mediocre community program, that was considered going in the wrong direction. OTOH, if you went to a crap med school and then on to a mid or upper tier academic residency program, that was looked upon favorably.

Nope, Skin color determines the trajectory.

If you are white skinned and in academic settings, then you get matched in North East and West. If you are white skinned but less academically inclined, you get matched in South and Central parts.

If you are black and in the top 20%, then you would surely match either in NE or West.

If you belong to brown race - all shades between white and black, then better score more to be competitive and you could still have a shot in the West Coast.

If you are not born here, regardless what you may score, how good your recommendation letters are, how many other research publications you may have - you are still not competitive; you are in "also ran" list. You could matched, if programs cant find white, black and brown exactly in that order! Exceptions are provided for white-skinned Canadians and Europeans.

Reactions: 1 user
Nope, Skin color determines the trajectory.

If you are white skinned and in academic settings, then you get matched in North East and West. If you are white skinned but less academically inclined, you get matched in South and Central parts.

If you are black and in the top 20%, then you would surely match either in NE or West.

If you belong to brown race - all shades between white and black, then better score more to be competitive and you could still have a shot in the West Coast.

If you are not born here, regardless what you may score, how good your recommendation letters are, how many other research publications you may have - you are still not competitive; you are in "also ran" list. You could matched, if programs cant find white, black and brown exactly in that order! Exceptions are provided for white-skinned Canadians and Europeans.

I take it you are an IMG? As an AMG, it is pretty annoying to hear IMGs complain. Yes, if an AMG and IMG are equal in credentials, an AMG will likely get the fellowship spot. But tons of IMGs (i.e. 40-50% of people going into most of the most competitive IMG fellowships) do match. And several AMGs wind up not matching. AMGs have much higher debts from medical school than most IMGs, and the vast majority of AMGs have actually paid taxes in this country and had parents or other family members pay taxes in this country, the money which actually pays the salary and other costs of graduate medical education and supports federal grant funding. If this was ever put on a ballot as a referendum for vote by US citizens, the majority would vote not to sponsor IMGs at all. But the US has always given opportunities to immigrants and it is a mutually beneficial system, but one needs to be willing to pay their dues.

I take it you are an IMG? As an AMG, it is pretty annoying to hear IMGs complain. Yes, if an AMG and IMG are equal in credentials, an AMG will likely get the fellowship spot. But tons of IMGs (i.e. 40-50% of people going into most of the most competitive IMG fellowships) do match. And several AMGs wind up not matching. AMGs have much higher debts from medical school than most IMGs, and the vast majority of AMGs have actually paid taxes in this country and had parents or other family members pay taxes in this country, the money which actually pays the salary and other costs of graduate medical education and supports federal grant funding. If this was ever put on a ballot as a referendum for vote by US citizens, the majority would vote not to sponsor IMGs at all. But the US has always given opportunities to immigrants and it is a mutually beneficial system, but one needs to be willing to pay their dues.

100% correct the guy you responded to dosent even realize how lucky he is that the US even let's him train here. It's next to impossible for a US citizen to go overseas to train. I'm a US IMG was waitlisted at a few US MD schools and had to go to the Caribbean for school. I have dual citizenship in Italy, at the time of applying I was only eligible for citizenship and there was little to no opportunity for me to go to school in Italy.

Non-US citizens are lucky the visa policy is as lenient as it is. It could very, very easily be that all non-US citizens have to fill a primary care role to be granted and to maintain a visa. There is no shortage of very qualified US citizens ready to fill the roles in the specialties.

do realize that many of those IMGs were your classmates in UG... born and bred in the US,schooled in the US, paid taxes in this country (and since many of us worked in the real world before going to med school in some foreign country, WE actually paid the taxes, not just our parents)...and the only thing we did was go to medical school abroad...we, US born, US educated, were in the same residency programs as many AMGs...the residency training is the same...so yes, as an IMG (born and raised with numerous degrees other than my MD degree in the US) it is a bit annoying that come fellowship time, there is still an issue...but it is what it is and it is not insurmountable...

and if you were wondering, i did apply to fellowship and i did match...but i still do see the issue as a problem.

Reactions: 1 user
100% correct the guy you responded to dosent even realize how lucky he is that the US even let's him train here. It's next to impossible for a US citizen to go overseas to train. I'm a US IMG was waitlisted at a few US MD schools and had to go to the Caribbean for school. I have dual citizenship in Italy, at the time of applying I was only eligible for citizenship and there was little to no opportunity for me to go to school in Italy.

Non-US citizens are lucky the visa policy is as lenient as it is. It could very, very easily be that all non-US citizens have to fill a primary care role to be granted and to maintain a visa. There is no shortage of very qualified US citizens ready to fill the roles in the specialties.

sad part is that you are agreeing with someone whois lumping YOU in with the IMGs...he certainly doesn't look at you as his counterpart (luckily he does not speak for all AMGs).

sad part is that you are agreeing with someone whois lumping YOU in with the IMGs...he certainly doesn't look at you as his counterpart (luckily he does not speak for all AMGs).

In his post it seems like he referring to non-US citizens by talking about visa sponsorship, paying taxes in the US.

do realize that many of those IMGs were your classmates in UG... born and bred in the US,schooled in the US, paid taxes in this country (and since many of us worked in the real world before going to med school in some foreign country, WE actually paid the taxes, not just our parents)...and the only thing we did was go to medical school abroad...we, US born, US educated, were in the same residency programs as many AMGs...the residency training is the same...so yes, as an IMG (born and raised with numerous degrees other than my MD degree in the US) it is a bit annoying that come fellowship time, there is still an issue...but it is what it is and it is not insurmountable...

and if you were wondering, i did apply to fellowship and i did match...but i still do see the issue as a problem.

Exactly. That's exploiting a backdoor to practice medicine in the USA. In any other country, if one doesn't get into medical school, tough ****. At least the USA has a few backdoors one can exploit to get a medical license.

IMGs should be lucky that they can even practice medicine.

Exactly. That's exploiting a backdoor to practice medicine in the USA. In any other country, if one doesn't get into medical school, tough ****. At least the USA has a few backdoors one can exploit to get a medical license.

IMGs should be lucky that they can even practice medicine.

you're right, but there for the grace of God go you...there are over 45,000 applications for ~ 17-18,000 spots...you are not really thinking that there are only 17-18,000 qualified people in that pool?

maybe you were very together as an 18 year old and got the 4.0 gpa and the 45 mcat and had your pick and choice of schools...or maybe you are from vermont where >60% of instate applicants are accepted to med school or from NC where the public med schools must take at least 85% of their class from the in state pool...or you are an URM and could get in with a lower gpa and mcat...or daddy built a library for you...I was not(and daddy did not)...

but you and i both know that there are some people who get accepted to US med schools that have no business being in med school...just as there are those that don't get accepted to a US med school that will (and do) make great doctors...

and please...there are vast parts of this country that depend on the I/FMG that is willing to practice in those underserved areas that very few AMGs would deign to practice in...if all of sudden they were gone...who would take their place...YOU? (i somehow highly doubt it).

Thanks dude for mentioning and agreeing with the rude AMG. FYI: I am also a naturalized US citizen. And also thanks to people who agree that discrimination should exist. Some in here are lucky that they are working as doctors, if they had corporate jobs and expected merit and promotion purely on birth, they would be shocked!

I am sorry that I hurt the feeling of people, I didn't mean it to be rude. This thread focused on how to get a spot in hemonc. But the obvious answer is always seem to rugged under the carpet and more quantifying explanations like more research paper publications, more recommendations, etc are suggested to improve the selection. It is next to impossible for an IMG to get selected in the West Coast for IMGs who cannot move to other locations. Please excuse me if this forum is only meant for AMGs - I had probably spoken out of turn.

Regarding the rude comments like paying taxes, my family had always been in the 1% and some how some people feel that I need sulk up. Your manners reflect you and it seems sad that rather than agreeing or disagreeing with the comment, some in here attack the person. I am sorry - I am more mature than that to get hurt by ill-mannered people.

US advertises itself as a equal-opportunity country, apparently it is not! When my wife had the corporate transfer to UK, there was no discrimination either in getting medical license or practicing. Now we got transferred to US and in a couple of years, we will get transferred to yet another country.

Last edited:
In you post you specifically mention that you will be moving to another country in a few years. Why, should the US waste time and tax money on someone like you when you will not be practicing in the US in a few years?

Your comparison to other jobs is also way off the mark. The Harvard MBA or JD is always going to get the job over the no name schools graduate. Residency and fellowship are pretty much entry level positions in Medicine so there not much track record or merit to go by. Also, let's by honest about research if you spend enough time doing it you can published so research CV's can be inflated. Is the research important, ground-breaking etc. There are plenty of IMG's (US citizens and non-US citizens that match into Cards, Gastro, Hem/Onc, Plum/CC every year.

Are you sure your a US citizen? You say you have lived abroad and practiced but did you train in those countries? It's close to impossible for a non citizen to train in a 1st world European country. The US is by far the most receptive of welcoming of FMG's for training. Sorry if you cant live in LA, NY, SF or Boston. Again look at the legal market, many big NYC, SF, Boston etc firms will barely give an application a second glance if it's not from Harvard, NYU, Stanford etc. Regardless of the applicants quality from a 3rd tier school.

Thanks dude for mentioning and agreeing with the rude AMG. FYI: I am also a naturalized US citizen. And also thanks to people who agree that discrimination should exist. Some in here are lucky that they are working as doctors, if they had corporate jobs and expected merit and promotion purely on birth, they would be shocked!

I am sorry that I hurt the feeling of people, I didn't mean it to be rude. This thread focused on how to get a spot in hemonc. But the obvious answer is always seem to rugged under the carpet and more quantifying explanations like more research paper publications, more recommendations, etc are suggested to improve the selection. It is next to impossible for an IMG to get selected in the West Coast for IMGs who cannot move to other locations. Please excuse if this forum is only meant for AMGs - I had probably spoken out of turn.

Regarding the rude comments like paying taxes, my family had always been in the 1% and some how some people feel that I need sulk up. Your manners reflect you and it seems sad that rather than agreeing or disagreeing with the comment, some in here attack the person. I am sorry - I am more mature than that to get hurt by ill-mannered people.

US advertises itself as a equal-opportunity country, apparently it is not! When my wife had the corporate transfer to UK, there was no discrimination either in getting medical license or practicing. Now we got transferred to US and in a couple of years, again we will get transferred to yet another country.

US advertises itself as a equal-opportunity country, apparently it is not! When my wife had the corporate transfer to UK, there was no discrimination either in getting medical license or practicing. Now we got transferred to US and in a couple of years, we will get transferred to yet another country.

No one asked you to be here. You are more than welcome to your opinion. Please feel welcome to leave this land of discrimination.

I once asked the late Dr. Claude H. Organ who was the president of the American College of Surgeons( http://www.nlm.nih.gov/exhibition/aframsurgeons/organ.html) in a conference about the contributions of IMGs in American surgery. He started by naming the heads of several departments of Surgery who are IMGs and mentioned recognized their contributions. He then replied " I will tell you what I tell my African American residents, it is not an excuse!. You have to show me some performance." On his way out, he stopped with his entourage which included the chief of surgery at he institution he was lecturing , the head of the cancer institute and several high-profile surgeons to talk to me, at that time a lowly medical student. He asked me where I went to medical school..and when I told him..he smiled and said " it is NOT an excuse". ( words not quoted verbatim as this was many years ago)

I think this was a great peace of advice and it made such an impression on me.

Having come from a country where there is actual discrimination when it comes to promotion in the medical field. I will say that I am very grateful to the United States for giving me the opportunity to reach my goal if I pay my dues. That opportunity does not exist in other parts of the world where you can not change things EVEN if you pay your dues because you can not change your skin color or your religion. Yes, here in the US , I had to work harder or longer than my AMG counterparts to reach the same goalpost but as one of more reasonable posters said " You have to pay your dues" or as Dr. Organ said " it is not an excuse".

That being said, and as the same reasonable poster initially pointed out , this arrangement is "mutually beneficial". I would add that it is "equally" mutually beneficial. It is true that the US has a lenient visa policy when it comes to physicians as compared to countries in he EU but This is "need based" . In fact it is anticipated that in the coming years that it will be much harder for IMGs to come to the US ( see JAMA. 2012;308(21):2193-2194. doi:10.1001/jama.2012.14681 ) .The US is the great place that it is now because it has always attracted a pool of talented people from around the world who generate innovation, progress and help the economy. The US needs this pool of talent and innovation in all fields ( including medicine and science ) as much as these smart hard-working people need jobs and visas. There are no favors in this arrangement.

I once asked the late Dr. Claude H. Organ who was the president of the American College of Surgeons( http://www.nlm.nih.gov/exhibition/aframsurgeons/organ.html) in a conference about the contributions of IMGs in American surgery. He started by naming the heads of several departments of Surgery who are IMGs and mentioned recognized their contributions. He then replied " I will tell you what I tell my African American residents, it is not an excuse!. You have to show me some performance." On his way out, he stopped with his entourage which included the chief of surgery at he institution he was lecturing , the head of the cancer institute and several high-profile surgeons to talk to me, at that time a lowly medical student. He asked me where I went to medical school..and when I told him..he smiled and said " it is NOT an excuse". ( words not quoted verbatim as this was many years ago)

I think this was a great peace of advice and it made such an impression on me.

Having come from a country where there is actual discrimination when it comes to promotion in the medical field. I will say that I am very grateful to the United States for giving me the opportunity to reach my goal if I pay my dues. That opportunity does not exist in other parts of the world where you can not change things EVEN if you pay your dues because you can not change your skin color or your religion. Yes, here in the US , I had to work harder or longer than my AMG counterparts to reach the same goalpost but as one of more reasonable posters said " You have to pay your dues" or as Dr. Organ said " it is not an excuse".

That being said, and as the same reasonable poster initially pointed out , this arrangement is "mutually beneficial". I would add that it is "equally" mutually beneficial. It is true that the US has a lenient visa policy when it comes to physicians as compared to countries in he EU but This is "need based" . In fact it is anticipated that in the coming years that it will be much harder for IMGs to come to the US ( see JAMA. 2012;308(21):2193-2194. doi:10.1001/jama.2012.14681 ) .The US is the great place that it is now because it has always attracted a pool of talented people from around the world who generate innovation, progress and help the economy. The US needs this pool of talent and innovation in all fields ( including medicine and science ) as much as these smart hard-working people need jobs and visas. There are no favors in this arrangement.

This is a really healthy approach. And I think it is important to remember that the process of getting to your goals in life is of value in and of itself. The fact that you might have to work harder than someone else to get to a certain goal is not necessary a bad thing, especially if you eventually do get that same goal. That extra hard work just makes you all that much better prepared to succeed when you get there. The beauty of America, and I don't know if IMGs appreciate this, is that America is so diverse, that everyone in some facet of life feels like they are getting unfair treatment or have it harder than others. An American born person of Asian descent might not have it hard to get into medicine, but I guarantee you someone like Jeromy Lin must feel like he has had to work extra hard to make it to the NBA.

FMG or DO status doesn't matter once you do residency. An FMG from a top twenty residency program trumps an AMG from a top 50 University program. It is all about how much research you have in Heme/Onc. There are applicants from top fifty university programs that did not match because of not going on enough interviews and/or not doing any heme/onc research.

Just to be clear for future applicants, I think its a bit simplistic to say that your competitiveness in hem/onc is directly related to your research output. I certainly agree that having substantial research is a necessary component of your application if you are aiming for the top tier programs (b/c sdn has its own definition of "top tier" I will define top tier as MSKCC --> Penn). Research is a necessary but not sufficient component of your application. I don't think being a research guru can/should overcome marginal clinical skills.

I matched at my #1 (an academic hem/onc program but certainly not a research powerhouse) despite having limited research (case report + bench experience but zero publications). We shouldn't forget that programs value your clinical work (as reflected on your LORs and program director letter), your medical school grades + exam scores (to a lesser degree) and your personality!

Anyone in residency can tell you that research skills and clinical skills do not correlate well. I can tell you from my experience as a chief resident that IM program directors are much more willing to fight for a resident with strong clinical skills compared to a weak one with a good research background. Internal medicine PD's put their personal reputation on the line when they vouch for a resident and I believe the majority of them are honest enough to not heavily vouch for a weak clinical candidate.

I think there are many solid programs out there who value applicants with some research experience but favor strong clinicians with good people skills. I want to give some encouragement to those who haven't published 23 first-author papers! Its OK! You can still match!

Love this! :love:

Just to be clear for future applicants, I think its a bit simplistic to say that your competitiveness in hem/onc is directly related to your research output. I certainly agree that having substantial research is a necessary component of your application if you are aiming for the top tier programs (b/c sdn has its own definition of "top tier" I will define top tier as MSKCC --> Penn). Research is a necessary but not sufficient component of your application. I don't think being a research guru can/should overcome marginal clinical skills.

I matched at my #1 (an academic hem/onc program but certainly not a research powerhouse) despite having limited research (case report + bench experience but zero publications). We shouldn't forget that programs value your clinical work (as reflected on your LORs and program director letter), your medical school grades + exam scores (to a lesser degree) and your personality!

Anyone in residency can tell you that research skills and clinical skills do not correlate well. I can tell you from my experience as a chief resident that IM program directors are much more willing to fight for a resident with strong clinical skills compared to a weak one with a good research background. Internal medicine PD's put their personal reputation on the line when they vouch for a resident and I believe the majority of them are honest enough to not heavily vouch for a weak clinical candidate.

I think there are many solid programs out there who value applicants with some research experience but favor strong clinicians with good people skills. I want to give some encouragement to those who haven't published 23 first-author papers! Its OK! You can still match!

Since this isn't about Heme/Onc anymore, I thought I'd weigh in. As an IMG applying for residency, I consider myself lucky to be getting interviews and every time I try to whine to myself about not getting that one interview I wanted, I try to put myself in an AMG's shoes. Everybody should have more preference in his own country/city. Now if he/she is a citizen, then that changes things. Also, if an IMG already did his residency in the US, I don't think he should be less competitive than an AMG. at least not much less competitive as it is in residency.

Few things I wanna complain about: When a program encourages IMGs to apply with those "205" cutoff and how they have many in their system, then spits out rejections to people with 270s in masses saying "you don't have the qualifications", or sends interviews to other IMGs with lower scores but no visa requirements, I'll have to call BS on that one!

I mean if you only take IMGs that are PhDs/MPHs/cured cancer. Please post their profiles on your website and save me my $25 instead of saying "go to ECFMG and NRMP web pages for resources"

I met very smart and dedicated people that are citizens and couldn't go to med school here. As a person who went to medical school for 0.0001% the cost of an AMG, and turned out fine for all I know, I still have to ask why wouldn't the US fill its shortage with its own citizens. Can't be answered with a forum post, I know.

Last edited:
Getting a job in Hem/Onc has become increasingly difficult now. I know 2 people from 2nd tier hem/Onc programs having trouble finding jobs. Apparently, hospitals are cutting down on hiring hem/Onc docs due to uncertainty resulting from the impending implementation of obamacare. It could be a rough few yrs for hem/Onc grads!

So on the bright side, not matching could be a blessing in disguise despite the terrible feeling!