Discernment Period

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tarot

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
After a lot of scouring through old threads and talking with my family, I have decided that the best course of action for me on this long road to becoming a doctor is to finish law school, take the bar, and practice for a few years before doing post-bacc full-time.

I've been volunteering in the ED at my local university hospital for months and have enjoyed (almost) every moment of it. But after reading what looked like a consensus among dozens of old threads, I think jumping into post-bacc right after law school would make me seem like a career student, perhaps even flighty. Also, if I take the bar and practice law for a few years, not only can I save some money, pay back some student loans, perhaps even travel, but I can really give myself time to volunteer and shadow and properly decide if this is really what I want to do with my life. Not to mention a lot of skills that lawyers develop when dealing with clients are transferrable with what doctors need to deal with patients.

A few old friends of mine joined the priesthood, and the road to the collar is a long one, filled with an intense discernment period. I think that medicine is something similar. It shouldn't be rushed at all, primarily because its training process is so long and expensive, but also because it's not quite like other jobs. So, I'm treating the next few years as a discernment of sorts. I want to be absolutely sure before I pull the trigger.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank all of you who have commented on my posts, and on other lawyers' old threads. Your advice has really helped me to gain some clarity in my life.

Hopefully, in two years or so, if this is still what I can't go a day without thinking about, I'll be back! Until then, best of luck to all of you :D

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
After a lot of scouring through old threads and talking with my family, I have decided that the best course of action for me on this long road to becoming a doctor is to finish law school, take the bar, and practice for a few years before doing post-bacc full-time.

I've been volunteering in the ED at my local university hospital for months and have enjoyed (almost) every moment of it. But after reading what looked like a consensus among dozens of old threads, I think jumping into post-bacc right after law school would make me seem like a career student, perhaps even flighty. Also, if I take the bar and practice law for a few years, not only can I save some money, pay back some student loans, perhaps even travel, but I can really give myself time to volunteer and shadow and properly decide if this is really what I want to do with my life. Not to mention a lot of skills that lawyers develop when dealing with clients are transferrable with what doctors need to deal with patients.

A few old friends of mine joined the priesthood, and the road to the collar is a long one, filled with an intense discernment period. I think that medicine is something similar. It shouldn't be rushed at all, primarily because its training process is so long and expensive, but also because it's not quite like other jobs. So, I'm treating the next few years as a discernment of sorts. I want to be absolutely sure before I pull the trigger.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank all of you who have commented on my posts, and on other lawyers' old threads. Your advice has really helped me to gain some clarity in my life.

Hopefully, in two years or so, if this is still what I can't go a day without thinking about, I'll be back! Until then, best of luck to all of you :D

What you plan on doing is very possible. I just met an 1st yr ER Resident who was a lawyer for six years before he decided to go back to school for medicine. Good Luck

I love this analogy!! Definitely went through a period of discernment myself. :)

I inadvertently ended up with a second and much longer period of discernment and I am so happy things worked out that way. There's no need to rush so take all the time you need!