disclose a chronic kidney disease in personal statement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theriddler3

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
the diagnosis is part of why i want to be a doctor. i'm perfectly okay right now but later on down the line i will most likely need dialysis etc. and it has been a learning experience. would this be an automatic no if i were to talk about this in my personal statement?

Members don't see this ad.

While there are no set rules, this should not be the only thing in your PS. I don't know how long you have had this dx, but if you have had to cope with it for a few years, consider it for the Other Impactful Experience essay.

Members don't see this ad :)
While there are no set rules, this should not be the only thing in your PS. I don't know how long you have had this dx, but if you have had to cope with it for a few years, consider it for the Other Impactful Experience essay.
I will definitely be talking about other things that influenced my choice to pursue medical school! I've known about it for 2-3 years now, but working through how i felt about the diagnosis helped me solidify "okay i want to be a physician".

Thank you!